London Knights 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
NELLI REPORT, vol. 2

GOLD 5 (Estapa 4, Mailloux) GREEN 4 (Whyte, Anselmini, Dowiak, Rolofs):

What was I saying yesterday about Estapa making a good first impression? How about an excellent second impression? Estapa scored 4 goals, yes 4 of Gold's 5 goals! I looked over at the Knights' brass in attendance, and there was considerable chatter after he scored that 4th goal. Logan Mailloux with the other marker for team Gold. He fired a seeing-eye snap shot just inside the blueline.
Rolofs with his first goal (Green). Nice to see our first two picks score in their first mini-camp.
Bryce Montgomery (from Maryland) is a huge d-man, a 2002 birthdate, who's 6'3", 200 lbs. He can skate and handles the puck well. He's committed to Providence College (2021), but maybe he opts for the OHL.
Brayden Krieger played well. Has he signed yet with the Knights? I ask because he was wearing a Knights helmet today, and I believe they're only given out to signed players. Avery Winslow was also wearing a Knights helmet as I mentioned yesterday. He could very well be OHL ready, smooth skater, with his head always up looking to make a play. I like what he brings.
Connor Federkow is an undersized d-man but plays a physical game; he's mean!
Dane Dowiak scored a beautiful goal, sniped top shelf, short side, from an almost impossible angle. Ty Anselmini rounded out the scoring for team Green.
Evangelista was much better today; great playmaking ability. Panwar looking good.
Brendan Mairs also looked good, a hitting machine.
Mitchell Lee crosschecked Keane...wrestled afterwards. No fights today.
Nothing to say about the goaltending.
Sign Estapa!! wow 4 goals!!

Reactions: zman77 and nelli27

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Thanks for info posters.

Particularly interested in tbe 2 EMC kids ( if the D even showed up )

Dont think will be Knigjts just curious about the local kids.
Sorry ares, I have nothing on Beckford (G) and MacKinnon (D) from EMC. I find it too difficult to evaluate goalies at minicamp. And my marginalia has no references to the d-man.

Last edited:

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
Sign Estapa!! wow 4 goals!!
And the speed with the physical aggression. He wont lay out any massive hits but he cant take a hit and keep on going. Estapa looked amazing him and stranges would be perfect together but hes a commit of WMU

Reactions: zman77 and LDN

Nickel Guy

Apr 21, 2019
NELLI REPORT, vol. I:

As I say every year, these are just my comments based on what I saw today, nothing more, nothing less:

Players not in attendance:
* Truscott
* Gilmartin

Players in attendance from the 2018 draft who played at least ONE regular season game this year:
* G. Keane; Roger; Panwar; Evangelista

All the others were draftees from 2018, 2019, plus invites.

GOLD 6 GREEN 3 [only two teams this year; played 3 20 minute periods]

Gold goals: Atwill (2), Panwar (2), Montes, Beljo
Green goals: Evangelista, Perry, White

Comments:
Most of you are probably wondering how our top prospects from the recent draft performed (Rolofs, Mailloux, McCue). Rolofs was virtually invisible today as was Mailloux. Neither played poorly by any means, but there was nothing to rave about. Rolofs is a good skater for a tall kid.
However, I was pleasantly surprised by Max McCue--good hands, works hard, and is feisty. One player who I really liked was Mark Estapa from Little Caesars--good skater, skilled forward, takes the body. Apparently he's committed to W. Michigan, but he made a good, first impression.
Connor Federkow, d-man, got under the skin of a few players; he has quite the temper; slashed G. Keane, and then at the beginning of the following period, right off the faceoff, Federkow fought Carson McMillan. McMillan pounded him.

Of the players who impressed from last year's draft (2018), it should come as no surprise that Panwar was the best forward on the ice. I wanted to see Evangelista work his butt off, but instead he was more interested in hotdogging it. Evangelista also took a highstick (or slash), and left the ice. He returned for the 3rd period. I'm looking for big things out of him this season, and I was a little disappointed by the (lack of a) work ethic. McGurn was arguably the second best forward this morning of the 2018 draft class. He protected the puck along the boards, had lots of puck possession, and distributed the puck well. G. Keane was the best d-man, followed by Ben Roger. Roger still needs to bulk up--go train with Gary Roberts this summer and take Evangelista with you. Roger has all the skill to be a good d-man in O. Avery Winslow was solid on D, and he should perhaps vie for a top 6 spot. It looked like Winslow was wearing a London Knights' helmet. I wonder if this is an indication that he will be signed soon?

I was joined by 'boknows', and we spoke with Dane Dowiak's father. Dowiak is from Pittsburgh (Penn State commit) and attended prep school in Connecticut. His team won the championship.

As for the goalies today (Willis, McCabe, Brochu: GOLD and Say, Smith, Beckford: GREEN), Willis was terrible, and I can't say that the others made any great saves. In other words, no goalie stood out to me.
Planning on going back tomorrow...

Purple Phart

Apr 4, 2016
Hey, let's sign every rookie at this camp who looks impressive. That'll guarantee some major disappointments when they realize that only 2 MIGHT secure roster spots. It'll also play havoc with the card situation, down the road. A more realistic scenario would be to invite those who've impressed to the Main Camp, and see how well they play against actual rostered players...and go from there. Just saying, given the storm of criticism involving card management, this past season.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Purely hypothetical, but would London be willing to give up guys like Evangelista, Dunkley and picks to get a top 4 LD to help out the defense. It is going to be a young defense next year it looks like (at least half of it could be 02's or 03's) so getting a number crunching guy to put with Regula on a top pairing could go a long way. London has a boat load of prospects who could take over some depth roles next year, and an Import spot to add another impact player.

Evangelista has a ton of upside, and Dunkley is a solid center, but that also means they would have a lot of value. With the number of quality prospects you have coming up without roster spots, it may be worth while to give their spots to those prospects and use them for a larger and more pressing need.

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Purely hypothetical, but would London be willing to give up guys like Evangelista, Dunkley and picks to get a top 4 LD to help out the defense. It is going to be a young defense next year it looks like (at least half of it could be 02's or 03's) so getting a number crunching guy to put with Regula on a top pairing could go a long way. London has a boat load of prospects who could take over some depth roles next year, and an Import spot to add another impact player.

Evangelista has a ton of upside, and Dunkley is a solid center, but that also means they would have a lot of value. With the number of quality prospects you have coming up without roster spots, it may be worth while to give their spots to those prospects and use them for a larger and more pressing need.
I'd say those two plus picks would get a top 2D ....dont think they want to trade Evangelista though....

Reactions: LeafsFan48

KnightsWatch

Nov 30, 2018
I know it's far too early to worry about this but who do you think will be the available overagers next season? Tymkin, Nelson, Turko and Coome will certainly be available but what are the chances of Joey Keane and Cotter being sent back?

Reactions: LDN

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
thanks....how did his overall game look besides the fight ?
Honestly, he wasn't too noticeable. I try to jot down things that stand out, and I don't have anything beside his name. That's not always a bad thing--it also means no major gaffes.

I have a pretty scientific way of rating camp players using the roster sheet. If I look up their name due to a good (noticeable) play the get a tally mark, do something poorly they get a sad face, do something poorly twice the sad face gets angry eyebrows and third time fangs, score a goal the get a light, nice move they get a stick and if the blow by everyone the get a wheel. Only caught periods 2 & 3 today but McMillan had 3 tally’s and no sad faces, decent showing, nothing notably bad, wouldn’t be surprised if there is a main camp invite but I don’t expect much more.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
I know it's far too early to worry about this but who do you think will be the available overagers next season? Tymkin, Nelson, Turko and Coome will certainly be available but what are the chances of Joey Keane and Cotter being sent back?
I'd say about 60-70%

Reactions: KnightsWatch

TheCoach

Sep 17, 2014
They both have AHL or ECHL options. I have doubts they would get sent back would be nice but imo its a long shot

Reactions: KnightsWatch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->