London Knights 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Really like the “adds” Mark made at the deadline! Two high skill players and didn’t really mortgage our future in any negative manner. If Wilms can get a little more luck around the net he will be a deadly addition!

This team should be able to make a serious run at the Western Conference, Kitchener and Saginaw will be tough but I like our chances. Flint is still a little bit of an unknown in my books? Home Ice will be important after round 1 hopefully we can secure it. I still think Ottawa is a better team at this point though and unless the injury bug hits them or they get “tight collars” they will be awfully tough to beat for the OHL title.
I forgot to mention how comforting it is to have the reliable Phillips back there on D, not only to cover when need be for #28, but to provide sound coverage, skate the puck out of the zone, or pass the puck quickly up ice.
And yes Willms is quite the asset. Kitchener, Saginaw and Windsor are all in the mix. Here's to a very competitive final 25 games or so.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
Which brings me Max McCure.
This guy is our Tymkin replacement without the brainfarts.

Except I don't think any teams are intimidated by McCue at this point. Would be nice to have that intimidation factor sitting on the bench come playoff time.....but Tymkin was obviously not the answer either.

Except I don't think any teams are intimidated by McCue at this point. Would be nice to have that intimidation factor sitting on the bench come playoff time.....but Tymkin was obviously not the answer either.
I really don't think Tymkin intimidated anyone. He believed himself to be that type of player, but I think the majority of the opposition found him laughable and more comic relief than anything else

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005

In order for McCue to intimidate other teams he has to be on the bench and not in the press box.
Brett Brochu has been run either accidentally or on purpose for the last few games with little or no serious retaliation from our players. When we only have 1 1/2 goalies this team cannot afford to have an injured goalie.

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
Not saying McCue is an Intimitdator.
However he does not back down ,plays with jam.
Plus his one fight this year(he did quite well) against an older player put him on other teams radar.
If you watched the WIndsor game there was scuffles and pushing near the end.Max had his guy firmly at arm's length and was laughing at the guy saying What are u going to do about it.
He does not have to be dirty or stupid.
Smart and tough is a good thing in this league.

Reactions: TheCoach and zman77

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I really don't think Tymkin intimidated anyone. He believed himself to be that type of player, but I think the majority of the opposition found him laughable and more comic relief than anything else
He perhaps had one “intimidating” trait in his on ice persona: Regardless of the situation (say London ahead 3-2 late in the game) you never quite knew what he would do? He had no regard or fear for taking an ill timed penalty or a suspension! LOL appreciation for a situation was not a factor he gave much thought to?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
The elite SSM "we outplayed them" Hounds losing again.

It's baffling to me how they are sitting 6 points outside of a playoff spot considering they've outplayed their opposition in basically every game. Guess it's just generationally bad goaltending.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

It's baffling to me how they are sitting 6 points outside of a playoff spot considering they've outplayed their opposition in basically every game. Guess it's just generationally bad goaltending.

Its mostly 1 poster for SSM. Lots of solid posters there.
But I see an interesting commonality in former or current "media" who post on their team forums and who get free tics or passes to attend games.
To each their own.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018

That's because the refs always favour London even when the Soo is playing someone else.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Wow poor ole Guelph is free falling without a shute. Lost 9 in a row a reasonable effort should get us 2 points looks like they held Daws for today’s game. Is it on Rogers?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheCoach

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
This will be Guelph's 3rd game in 2 1/2 days so expect a weary group. Looking forward to seeing Daws between the pipes. Rolofs scores today, dmead!

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
NHL Mock Draft: Lafreniere and the rest - ProHockeyTalk | NBC Sports

Antonio Stranges is gonna need to tear it up in the second half if he wants to get drafted in the first round.

I've been critical of Stranges in the past. No apologies for that. But I like some of what I've seen form him the past two weekends from him.

I believe Stranges has proven his offensive upside to scouts. He could score 0 goals and pop 20-30 assists the rest of the season, and it doesn't change what many scouts think about his offensive potential.

So, I'll venture to say that if he played the rest of the season like a team-first, solid 2-way player, then I believe he he gets a fresh new look. In fact, I'd bet that if he becomes more of a forechecking/puck battling forward who is quick, heavy and involved on the back check … and only gets 20-30 more assists … yeah, he could easily go 1st round.

He can do it - just needs to focus and put in the work. And in doing that, he absolutely would be a major player helping this team go deep.

Knights2729

Oct 24, 2016
London
I've been critical of Stranges in the past. No apologies for that. But I like some of what I've seen form him the past two weekends from him.

I believe Stranges has proven his offensive upside to scouts. He could score 0 goals and pop 20-30 assists the rest of the season, and it doesn't change what many scouts think about his offensive potential.

So, I'll venture to say that if he played the rest of the season like a team-first, solid 2-way player, then I believe he he gets a fresh new look. In fact, I'd bet that if he becomes more of a forechecking/puck battling forward who is quick, heavy and involved on the back check … and only gets 20-30 more assists … yeah, he could easily go 1st round.

He can do it - just needs to focus and put in the work. And in doing that, he absolutely would be a major player helping this team go deep.

Evangelista's game is up and above Stranges game by alot now so if you think that Stranges is going first round then you think that Evangelista is going higher first round then right?? Just curious.

Reactions: Knights77

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
Evangelista's game is up and above Stranges game by alot now so if you think that Stranges is going first round then you think that Evangelista is going higher first round then right?? Just curious.

Yes.
I'll take all bets.

And recognize I said there are a lot of "ifs" for Stranges.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
If Stranges can show he can utilize his teammates better and play a more rounded game he could go in the first round.

His even strength and primary point production is good, which a lot of teams value because it projects well to producing at the NHL.

I'm also thinking Evangelista goes higher, but Stranges has the higher upside and doesn't get to play with McMichael.

Reactions: Fastpace

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
He will not go first round, second MAYBE.

Everyone has opinions, so I respect yours.

I see Evangelista now, and recall that 3 1/2 months ago, he had 0 OHL goals and no signifcant OHL playing time.

And what is he now?? Arguably 3rd best forward on the team? 45th or so in OHL league scoring?

So, my opinion is based a lot on the assumption that he continues to develop in the next 3 months. And that were just starting to see what he's capable of.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Post game thoughts:
London 4 Guelph 2 (EN):
The two points very important but that was one of the most boring games I attended this season owing largely to a lackluster performance by the home team. Very sloppy. Credit the Storm with a 60 minute effort--a long weekend for them.
McMichael didn't do much today--he's rarely that invisible in a game.
Foudy looked good. He came close to killing off the full two minutes of a PK on his own. Later, Evangelista did much of the same.
I don't know if it's my imagination but Regula has looked very tired of late which is understandable--the season is dragging on, and he's used on all special teams in addition to his regular shift on the top pairing. Phillips with his first as a Knight.
As a whole, today's game takes a back seat to the sad news in the sports world.

Reactions: zman77 and Fastpace

Rubbers29

Jan 9, 2012
One positive from today, the Rangers finally slipped up and lost one in OT, opening the door for London to catch them. Now 1 point back with a game in hand

Reactions: zman77 and TheCoach
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad