London Knights 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
I’m starting to think people only check the box scores to make comments on a Stranges. He is the laziest player in the OHL since Jason Spezza. He is incredibly weak on the puck and looks like he is sleeping when barely inside his own blue line. He is the farthest thing from a complete player. He has some offensive talent he’s, otherwise he wouldNt be playing in the O. Super frustrating, and if we’re going for it, I absolutely move him for assets. Please, watch him closely every time he’s in the ice and you’ll see the lack of intensity. He could be so much more...but he isn’t. And that’s what gets me.
Keane should be suspended for his slash. It appears it was out of frustrating trying to just swing at the snow on the ice or whatever but not controlling your stick and hitting somebody, lucky it wasn’t worse.
Our teddy bear toss effort is pathetic. The Hershey Bears who’s arena seats 10,500 managed to set the world record this year with 45,650. That’s right...and we can’t even get one bear per person. Brutal.
We really missed Steklov tonight. He’s such a good defender. His dad was at his regular seat in the section next to me though, maybe should have snuck him in lol.
Anyone making the trip to Guelph Sunday?

Keane should be suspended for his slash. It appears it was out of frustrating trying to just swing at the snow on the ice or whatever but not controlling your stick and hitting somebody, lucky it wasn’t worse.
Our teddy bear toss effort is pathetic. The Hershey Bears who’s arena seats 10,500 managed to set the world record this year with 45,650. That’s right...and we can’t even get one bear per person. Brutal.
Careful...apparently people get offended when you bring up how f'n cheap some of the people are that attend games. I couldn't believe how many people I saw last night walking in empty handed. They were pretty fast grabbing a beer or 2 though. This has always rotted my ass. I'd actually be all for limited entry to these types of games. No donation...no entry. The rink has the right to refuse entry to any patron. Flex the muscle a bit.

I used to take donations each year of teddy bears. One year we had upwards of 240 bears collected and we still couldn't break 1 per person in attendance. I literally was turned off of even making an effort collecting the donation and wasting my time only to see so many people walking in empty handed every year. Last night between my 3 tickets we still had 5 per person. I'd love limited entry for these games.

Last edited:

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
November was a good month. Now we're seeing what it looks like vs top teams. And there are some costly weaknesses and gaping holes.

I've said it a few times and will say it again …. #1 need: a solid DEFENSIVE defenseman. Someone has to cover for Merkley when he turns the puck over up ice.

Tonight's experiment with 11-40-18 showed it won't work. Stranges and Foudy are too much alike. They are "free-form" skaters going any direction, trying to skate around everyone. Extremely talented, of course. But they both want the puck on their stick and are "me-first" players. McMichael goes north-south. McMichael needs a passer. Go back to 11-14-44. McMichael was piling up points playing with those guys.

Some of these guys need to be told the cold, hard truth: They are NOT good enough to stickhandle around an entire team. These few guys want to carry the puck up ice to score an unassisted, highlight goal that will all of a sudden make the NHL teams take note. Sorry, it's a dream.

But hey, let's find the bright spot: no stupid penalties for Tymkin !!!

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Careful...apparently people get offended when you bring up how f'n cheap some of the people are that attend games. I couldn't believe how many people I saw last night walking in empty handed. They were pretty fast grabbing a beer or 2 though. This has always rotted my ass. I'd actually be all for limited entry to these types of games. No donation...no entry. The rink has the right to refuse entry to any patron. Flex the muscle a bit.

I used to take donations each year of teddy bears. One year we had upwards of 240 bears collected and we still couldn't break 1 per person in attendance. I literally was turned off of even making an effort collecting the donation and wasting my time only to see so many people walking in empty handed every year. Last night between my 3 tickets we still had 5 per person. I'd love limited entry for these games.

I find, in general , junior hockey fans are generous folks . Those of us lucky enough to be STH in our respective rinks see weekly fundraisers in our rinks.

In O S they respond very well to the various asks. I'm sure Knights fans do as well.

I find, in general , junior hockey fans are generous folks . Those of us lucky enough to be STH in our respective rinks see weekly fundraisers in our rinks.

In O S they respond very well to the various asks. I'm sure Knights fans do as well.
For the most part...yes...the true hockey fan does care. It's the fact London has so many stuffed shirts and corporate seats that you just get many who either can't read their ticket, TEDDY BEAR TOSS was emblazoned on the front, or they just don't care. I arrived at 7:25 for the game....the donation box at the front gate for the food drive was empty. I asked the usher..."oh...musta got lots and had to bring in an empty". Her reply..."nope..thats the same one from the start of the gates opening at 6:30". I kid you not...there were 4 canned goods in it when I put my bag of 12 cans in. People in general just don't give a sh!t

Reactions: Knights2729

Hendy

Dec 1, 2018
For the most part...yes...the true hockey fan does care. It's the fact London has so many stuffed shirts and corporate seats that you just get many who either can't read their ticket, TEDDY BEAR TOSS was emblazoned on the front, or they just don't care. I arrived at 7:25 for the game....the donation box at the front gate for the food drive was empty. I asked the usher..."oh...musta got lots and had to bring in an empty". Her reply..."nope..thats the same one from the start of the gates opening at 6:30". I kid you not...there were 4 canned goods in it when I put my bag of 12 cans in. People in general just don't give a sh!t
Without wandering too far into politics we have a society today that more and more expects government to provide for their every need.
Might have something to do with losing the traditional habit of helping one another, especially during the Christmas season.
I too was shocked we couldn't even get to the attendance count and very disappointed. That female scream you heard more often as the night went on was a young woman 2 rows in front of me drinking beer all night, and no, her and her boyfriend didn't have any stuffed toys. Oh well, can't fix inconsiderate.

Hendy

Dec 1, 2018
As far as last nights game...I just try to remember they're teenagers, and teenagers can be very erratic in terms of emotions and behaviour, as a team and individually.
This is a competitive team, as it is every year, and we're lucky we get to watch them. There will be stinkers and there will be brilliant performances.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

You sir are a good, caring human .

That's why I love OHL fans, and meeting up for a chat when we travel .

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
As far as last nights game...I just try to remember they're teenagers, and teenagers can be very erratic in terms of emotions and behaviour, as a team and individually.
This is a competitive team, as it is every year, and we're lucky we get to watch them. There will be stinkers and there will be brilliant performances.
As an Attack fan , I've seen more than my fair share lately, and you are correct, many of these kids are on their first stint away from home, don't even drive a car yet .

I have to remind myself that every now and then . It's been a long time since my kids were teenagers, I forget some of the things they did. (Or didnt) :)

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

The 'stuffed shirts in the Corporate seats" would have been buying beers in an area you don't have access to. Also for the 3000 or so non season ticket holders they don't get the fancy printed tickets. And a lot of people get tickets given to them the day of the game and may not have had time to scramble to get a bear. I saw someone I know at the game not a season ticket holder and they got tickets within a few hours of game time so I gave them one of mine.

As for donation boxes , I arrived around 7:15 by the entrance that used to be where the smokers were.. no donation boxes to be seen.

one timer

Dec 8, 2015
London
November was a good month. Now we're seeing what it looks like vs top teams. And there are some costly weaknesses and gaping holes.

I've said it a few times and will say it again …. #1 need: a solid DEFENSIVE defenseman. Someone has to cover for Merkley when he turns the puck over up ice.

Tonight's experiment with 11-40-18 showed it won't work. Stranges and Foudy are too much alike. They are "free-form" skaters going any direction, trying to skate around everyone. Extremely talented, of course. But they both want the puck on their stick and are "me-first" players. McMichael goes north-south. McMichael needs a passer. Go back to 11-14-44. McMichael was piling up points playing with those guys.

Some of these guys need to be told the cold, hard truth: They are NOT good enough to stickhandle around an entire team. These few guys want to carry the puck up ice to score an unassisted, highlight goal that will all of a sudden make the NHL teams take note. Sorry, it's a dream.

But hey, let's find the bright spot: no stupid penalties for Tymkin !!!

Many excellent points. Despite where the Knights sit in the standings, I don't believe they stack up well for a long playoff run. Mark will make some changes at some point. Absolutely go back to 11-14-44. Don't notice them nearly as often when they aren't together.

Merkley and Stranges are both one trick ponies (talented offensively, weak defensively) at different positions. Perhaps one or both develops an all round game and things may change but right now, I wouldn't bet on either having an impact in the NHL if they even get there for more than a cup of coffee. Even if we only talk offensively, each makes as many weak plays in the O zone as good ones. And puck possession is huge in the NHL.

I'm very frustrated with Foudy. Fast, yes, but wish he would use his speed consistently. Too much coasting, too little vision, too little compete level unless he has the puck. Needs to keep his feet moving. Stop putting on the brakes so often in the O zone when you have a step on the defender. Drop the shoulder & drive the net. Will at least draw a penalty.

Having said that, others have often frustrated me as well. Had hoped for more from Nelson & Tymkin in their overage year. But they just don't have more. Is anyone on the team slower than Tymkin? Are his slow feet part of the reason he takes so many penalties e.g often trying to catch up to the play?

Expected more from Guskov this year. Expected better from Panwar & Keane.

Very happy with McMichael & Regula. Pleased with Skinner, Steklov, Gruden, Evangelista, Moskal (work ethic).

Do not understand why Montgomery being used sparingly & at forward. I believe he could be developed into a good defensive defenceman with a bit of offence. Would like to see Rolofs given more of an opportunity. Would like to see Mailloux given an opportunity.

Wish I knew exactly what the current card situation looks like.

Have at my post fellas!

dmead

Code Spelunker
Jan 12, 2018
London
Many excellent points. Despite where the Knights sit in the standings, I don't believe they stack up well for a long playoff run. Mark will make some changes at some point. Absolutely go back to 11-14-44. Don't notice them nearly as often when they aren't together.

Merkley and Stranges are both one trick ponies (talented offensively, weak defensively) at different positions. Perhaps one or both develops an all round game and things may change but right now, I wouldn't bet on either having an impact in the NHL if they even get there for more than a cup of coffee. Even if we only talk offensively, each makes as many weak plays in the O zone as good ones. And puck possession is huge in the NHL.

I'm very frustrated with Foudy. Fast, yes, but wish he would use his speed consistently. Too much coasting, too little vision, too little compete level unless he has the puck. Needs to keep his feet moving. Stop putting on the brakes so often in the O zone when you have a step on the defender. Drop the shoulder & drive the net. Will at least draw a penalty.

Having said that, others have often frustrated me as well. Had hoped for more from Nelson & Tymkin in their overage year. But they just don't have more. Is anyone on the team slower than Tymkin? Are his slow feet part of the reason he takes so many penalties e.g often trying to catch up to the play?

Expected more from Guskov this year. Expected better from Panwar & Keane.

Very happy with McMichael & Regula. Pleased with Skinner, Steklov, Gruden, Evangelista, Moskal (work ethic).

Do not understand why Montgomery being used sparingly & at forward. I believe he could be developed into a good defensive defenceman with a bit of offence. Would like to see Rolofs given more of an opportunity. Would like to see Mailloux given an opportunity.

Wish I knew exactly what the current card situation looks like.

Have at my post fellas!

I'm sad you are so frustrated with so many players, but elated you are happy with a few.

It's Junior Hockey. They are learning the game.

Yes we have been spoiled rotten over the Hunter years but it wasn't so long ago we were among the weakest in the league.

What we are seeing this year is an adequate team with ups and downs. Kinda like the what the rest of the league experiences.

Enjoy the hockey. I got nothing else.

one timer

Dec 8, 2015
London
A few more things:

1. PP31 - I stepped away from posting for quite awhile due to two life changing circumstances: the loss of my wingman father-in-law who was so passionate & knowledgeable about the Knights (like your pops) and my own battle with cancer. I never stopped reading the posts on the board but was not up to posting at the time. I have always wanted to tell you that I was very sorry to hear of your loss.

2. Otto - Very happy you have been posting again. I missed your comments.

3. Nelli - I am missing your frequent witty posts. You being the mod takes up too much of your time for my liking.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
A few more things:

1. PP31 - I stepped away from posting for quite awhile due to two life changing circumstances: the loss of my wingman father-in-law who was so passionate & knowledgeable about the Knights (like your pops) and my own battle with cancer. I never stopped reading the posts on the board but was not up to posting at the time. I have always wanted to tell you that I was very sorry to hear of your loss.

2. Otto - Very happy you have been posting again. I missed your comments.

3. Nelli - I am missing your frequent witty posts. You being the mod takes up too much of your time for my liking.

Sorry to hear about your loss and your own battle with cancer. Can't wait for your post telling us how you beat it! Had to say goodbye to my dog, Zuko, pain is unbearable.
In any case, maybe the Knights can give us something to look forward to.

one timer

Dec 8, 2015
London
Sorry to hear about your loss and your own battle with cancer. Can't wait for your post telling us how you beat it! Had to say goodbye to my dog, Zuko, pain is unbearable.
In any case, maybe the Knights can give us something to look forward to.

Thanks Nelli & sorry for you loss too! I have an olde English bulldog named Isabel & she is right beside me watching (napping through) every Knights game on TV. Could not imagine her not beside me. Beating cancer had alot of factors. Great treatment at the London Cancer Centre at LHSC. Positive frame of mind. Supportive family & friends. But really, I was just truly fortunate, as many others have not been as fortunate with the same factors. Watching the Knights through the battle always gave me something to look forward to as there was not much else I was able to do. They still give me something to look forward to. As much as I vented earlier about some Knights players, I think most of them CAN be better and CAN do better. And others that may have peaked have still played Junior A hockey, which is something which most of us were unable to do.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
The donation box for the food drive being empty is a lot bigger concern for me. Teddy Bears are nice and always seem to be in abundance. Food is a necessity.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
My two cents about the TBT:
We should be breaking the record every year with our attendance. Of the people I saw with stuffed animals last night, almost all of them had two or more. Which means that less than half the fans in attendance actually came with a stuffed toy. That is sad. We should be in the range of 15 to 18 thousand bears and more each year with our attendance numbers but we can't even hit 9000? If I'm not mistaken, Kitchener gets about 5000 fans for their TBT game, and they hit 10 thousand bears last season. I totally agree with PP31 that this game should be made so that if you don't have a can donation and/or a stuffed animal then no admission. And for all those cheapskates in the stands, you can buy a decent stuffed animal at the Dollar store FFS. No excuses. And the Knights brass doesn't help either: stuffed animals for sale on the concourse (granted yes they are for charity) for $15-20? No one is going to buy these for those prices just to throw them on the ice. Why not stock up on those stuffed animals carnivals buy for dirt cheap and sell those on the concourse for $3-$5 instead? You'd have more people that may not have brought one in more inclined to buy one.
How about making the event a 'dry' event so that way, those that usually buy a few beers could buy a bear instead. And if those that come to the game just to drink, they could give up their tickets and give them to fans that embrace the true spirit of this particular game. Geez, one night of not having a beer isn't going to kill anyone is it?
The 50-50 draw was seeded with $5000 to start. Why not seed the TBT count with 5000 bears to start. The Knights brass can afford it LOL.
I don't agree that the reason we don't hit the expected numbers is that there are too many corporate seats. I was in a corporate box last night with about 10-12 people and we must have thrown over 40 bears from our box alone and the boxes next to us were the same.
All in all, over 8600 is a good haul for any team but we can do better.

Last edited:

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
A couple of positives from last nights game.
Evangelista continues to get better and has second to none Compete Level.
Rolofs looked poised and physically solid in his limited ice time.Only see better things from the rookie.

Reactions: Knights77 and LDN

Otto

The donation box for the food drive being empty is a lot bigger concern for me. Teddy Bears are nice and always seem to be in abundance. Food is a necessity.

Again... there wasn't one at the entrance I go into .. so maybe they were brought out late? They should have had Kettle's stationed around the arena , but there has been a lack of volunteers as well.

Could also be that people didn't know they were there, or they already donated elsewhere in the city. I bring a limited amount of cash to games. Just what I think I'm going to spend. I had no idea that there was a food drive going on.. nothing was ever mentioned during the radio commercials, the e-mail the team sent out about the game said nothing about a food drive.

Otto

For the most part...yes...the true hockey fan does care.

I find this comment stupid. Nobody's hockey fandom is determined by if they bring a bear or not.. you said you used to bring 240 bears.. now that you only bring 5 does that make you less of a fan?

Seriously.. not everyone has a taxpayer funded union job. You don't have any idea what people's situations are. If I had brought my 4 year old grandson last night it would have been a challenge to bring even 1 bear because the kid is a handful .. he's a fantastic kid... but he's got more energy than I can handle. There is a family that has sat in front of us every season at the Bud, last night the only one I recognized was the old man, must be in his 90's, walks with a cane, definite mobility issues, must have been his daughter with him, I have never seen her before.. no bears.. and there is zero issue with that because she needed to attend to him.

I've been known to give my tickets away randomly .. what if I was at the LRCC yesterday and gave my tickets to someone? No way would I expect them to rush out and buy a bear.. they have bigger things to worry about, like how are they going to pay for parking.

Bottom line, you may be better off than a lot of people... but you are better than no one. Neither am I.

jgardz

Jan 5, 2007
jlc section 305
Are we really advocating for forcing donations?? Sure, the number of bears should be higher but you can’t force people to give to charity. Go to a mall today and see how few people donate to the kettle drive despite hitting the food court or lotto booth. Those of you who did donate should feel good for your kindness and I applaud you, but don’t judge others who may give less at a game. They may be good people too who give at the office, volunteer in the community or have some other way of helping others. Don’t assume the worst in others, or that’s all you’ll see. Let the rink be a place where all are welcome, not only those who are deemed worthy by some arbitrary scale.

Otto

Are we really advocating for forcing donations?? Sure, the number of bears should be higher but you can’t force people to give to charity. Go to a mall today and see how few people donate to the kettle drive despite hitting the food court or lotto booth. Those of you who did donate should feel good for your kindness and I applaud you, but don’t judge others who may give less at a game. They may be good people too who give at the office, volunteer in the community or have some other way of helping others. Don’t assume the worst in others, or that’s all you’ll see. Let the rink be a place where all are welcome, not only those who are deemed worthy by some arbitrary scale.
From here on in everyone needs to bring their previous years tax returns so security at Budweiser Gardens and review everyone charitable donations. Only the precious elite will be anointed "true hockey fans" and gain entrance. What should the threshold be? 10% of income?

Reactions: Eamon5

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011

We got our tickets just a couple hours before game time and we knew about the TBT (and picked up a couple on route), but had no idea there was a food drive going on as well. So, I would think the problem was due to a lack of advertising (with respect to the food drive) more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad