London Knights 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Again... there wasn't one at the entrance I go into .. so maybe they were brought out late? They should have had Kettle's stationed around the arena , but there has been a lack of volunteers as well.

Could also be that people didn't know they were there, or they already donated elsewhere in the city. I bring a limited amount of cash to games. Just what I think I'm going to spend. I had no idea that there was a food drive going on.. nothing was ever mentioned during the radio commercials, the e-mail the team sent out about the game said nothing about a food drive.
The new marketing team has done a terrible job the past few seasons getting the info out. Lack of experience shows in the way the game days are handled, the lack of advertising and the way long-time sponsors have been treated. They need to bring in experienced and qualified people into those positions and not hand off these important jobs to inexperienced and sometimes unpaid interns.

KnightWatch

Sep 7, 2011
I think the last two games have shown how valuable both Steklov and Moskal are to this team. Neither one is a flashy-type player, but both contribute in many ways,...team defense in particular.

Also, for those calling for Keane's head.....Steklov's shoes had to be filled and Dale felt Keane was the most capable of doing so. Was he great, no, did he lose his cool, yes, but he is still young and learning the ropes, and if you think Winslow or Roger or even Montgomery could have done a better job against Owen Sounds top forwards, then you are sadly mistaken. Keane's flaws were exposed the last two games against top forwards, something the other three have been sheltered from up until this point.

Last edited:

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
Teddy Bears cost $5 at some establishments. If you’re a regular follower, you know when the teddy bear toss game is. If you give a “hoot” you plan in advance and get a bear, shop for a cheap one if you have to. You donate because that’s what this time of year is about...giving and helping others. Not making excuses why you can’t. If you can afford a ticket to the game, you can afford to help others less fortunate. Stop making excuses and throwing shade at others who advocate for it.

I find this comment stupid. Nobody's hockey fandom is determined by if they bring a bear or not.. you said you used to bring 240 bears.. now that you only bring 5 does that make you less of a fan?

Seriously.. not everyone has a taxpayer funded union job. You don't have any idea what people's situations are. If I had brought my 4 year old grandson last night it would have been a challenge to bring even 1 bear because the kid is a handful .. he's a fantastic kid... but he's got more energy than I can handle. There is a family that has sat in front of us every season at the Bud, last night the only one I recognized was the old man, must be in his 90's, walks with a cane, definite mobility issues, must have been his daughter with him, I have never seen her before.. no bears.. and there is zero issue with that because she needed to attend to him.

I've been known to give my tickets away randomly .. what if I was at the LRCC yesterday and gave my tickets to someone? No way would I expect them to rush out and buy a bear.. they have bigger things to worry about, like how are they going to pay for parking.

Bottom line, you may be better off than a lot of people... but you are better than no one. Neither am I.
Reading my comment again I digress. Really should have worded it "most people do care".

Now pardon me while I climb back on my high horse

Last edited:
Reactions: Knights77

DontEverTouchMyPuck

Jul 30, 2018
I’m starting to think people only check the box scores to make comments on a Stranges. He is the laziest player in the OHL since Jason Spezza. He is incredibly weak on the puck and looks like he is sleeping when barely inside his own blue line. He is the farthest thing from a complete player. He has some offensive talent he’s, otherwise he wouldNt be playing in the O. Super frustrating, and if we’re going for it, I absolutely move him for assets. Please, watch him closely every time he’s in the ice and you’ll see the lack of intensity. He could be so much more...but he isn’t. And that’s what gets me.
Keane should be suspended for his slash. It appears it was out of frustrating trying to just swing at the snow on the ice or whatever but not controlling your stick and hitting somebody, lucky it wasn’t worse.
Our teddy bear toss effort is pathetic. The Hershey Bears who’s arena seats 10,500 managed to set the world record this year with 45,650. That’s right...and we can’t even get one bear per person. Brutal.
We really missed Steklov tonight. He’s such a good defender. His dad was at his regular seat in the section next to me though, maybe should have snuck him in lol.
Anyone making the trip to Guelph Sunday?

Stats are SO deceiving with Stranges. And whoever this oiler scout is that is always being quoted here, he's obviously shilling for the kid. Because anyone watching the full shift sees what is and isn't there.

I get a bit frustrated watching Stranges. So much potential for so much more. But he's so one-dimensional right now. And he's soft. What I really noticed last night, that I hope coaches work on, is his fight for pucks along the boards. There was one episode in the deep right corner, where there was a camera right on the other side of the glass. Four players. Two OS and one LK were battling, and Stranges was standing there, looking for an easy-out, poking a bit, while the other guys were fighting.

Then you see guys like Dunkley and Evangelista - guys who fight like their lives depend on the outcome. In fact, one corner battle, watching Evangelista fighting for a puck, I actually said out loud - "Look at Happy Gilmore!" ("That's my puck. Don't you ever touch my puck!")

Stranges, I'd be keeping him after practice to do puck battle drills. Put him into a corner with a gauntlet of players. He's got to WANT it.

Stranges could own the pro level if he develops that side to his game. Develop a REAL compete level, that doesn't just kick in when he's carrying the puck into the o-zone. If he gets THAT in the next few months, this team is a different team.

I know it sounds like I'm picking on the player. But I feel like this is like the scene in the movie Bull Durham. On the bus, Crash Davis lays into Nuke Laloosh for wasting his talent - "The gods gave you a lightning bolt for an arm and you're p***ing it away ..... you don't respect the game."

Knights2729

Oct 24, 2016
London
Careful...apparently people get offended when you bring up how f'n cheap some of the people are that attend games. I couldn't believe how many people I saw last night walking in empty handed. They were pretty fast grabbing a beer or 2 though. This has always rotted my ass. I'd actually be all for limited entry to these types of games. No donation...no entry. The rink has the right to refuse entry to any patron. Flex the muscle a bit.

I used to take donations each year of teddy bears. One year we had upwards of 240 bears collected and we still couldn't break 1 per person in attendance. I literally was turned off of even making an effort collecting the donation and wasting my time only to see so many people walking in empty handed every year. Last night between my 3 tickets we still had 5 per person. I'd love limited entry for these games.

There were 4 of us there last night with 7 Teddys

There were 4 of us there last night with 7 Teddys
so you're obviously on a medium to high horse ;)

sorry...I just found a previous comment quite humourous. I guess questioning people's inability to chip in for a good cause is part and parcel to being a person who feels they are above everyone else

back to my pedestal

Knights2729

Oct 24, 2016
London

sorry...I just found a previous comment quite humourous. I guess questioning people's inability to chip in for a good cause is part and parcel to being a person who feels they are above everyone else

Actually, im just letting it be known that im not one of the ignorant but thanks for your support.

Knights77

Oct 5, 2012
Bud Gardens
Stats are SO deceiving with Stranges. And whoever this oiler scout is that is always being quoted here, he's obviously shilling for the kid. Because anyone watching the full shift sees what is and isn't there.

I get a bit frustrated watching Stranges. So much potential for so much more. But he's so one-dimensional right now. And he's soft. What I really noticed last night, that I hope coaches work on, is his fight for pucks along the boards. There was one episode in the deep right corner, where there was a camera right on the other side of the glass. Four players. Two OS and one LK were battling, and Stranges was standing there, looking for an easy-out, poking a bit, while the other guys were fighting.

Then you see guys like Dunkley and Evangelista - guys who fight like their lives depend on the outcome. In fact, one corner battle, watching Evangelista fighting for a puck, I actually said out loud - "Look at Happy Gilmore!" ("That's my puck. Don't you ever touch my puck!")

Stranges, I'd be keeping him after practice to do puck battle drills. Put him into a corner with a gauntlet of players. He's got to WANT it.

Stranges could own the pro level if he develops that side to his game. Develop a REAL compete level, that doesn't just kick in when he's carrying the puck into the o-zone. If he gets THAT in the next few months, this team is a different team.

I know it sounds like I'm picking on the player. But I feel like this is like the scene in the movie Bull Durham. On the bus, Crash Davis lays into Nuke Laloosh for wasting his talent - "The gods gave you a lightning bolt for an arm and you're p***ing it away ..... you don't respect the game."
Louder for those in the back! Exactly!!! If he was showing effort like others in his draft class, I’d be more apt to let him develop, but for now we are a team looking to challenge for it all and I wouldn’t want him in the trench next to me.

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Bottom line is this team isn’t playing like a team. They’re playing like individuals on a team. Too many flashy passes and nobody is infront of the net to do the dirty work.

McMichael - everything we needed this year and more. Backchecks well and plays great defense which helps generate offense. Take a hint Antonio Stranges.

Foudy - would be nice if you and McMichael could actually generate some chemistry. Sooo much speed and too little vision won’t get you anywhere in the pros. The best Knights teams had a top line with great chemistry (2005, 2016 we all know who were on those lines). That’s why Peterborough beat us.

Merkley - tired of the “Merkley show” and him trying to beat players one on one and then losing. This isn’t minor midget!! The last couple games I’ve noticed improvement in his defensive game breaking up 2 on 1’s and blocking shots on the PK, so at least he’s listening to the Hunters. Really need someone else to run the point on the PP so he can go on the halfboards and be an “extra forward” like Adam Boqvist was last year. Calling Thomas Harley to the stand!

Gruden - The quietest 29 pts I’ve ever seen in 26 games. He needs to step up and establish himself and maybe the WJ could do that for him, if he gets there or he better establish himself this month as a star in this league when other stars are gone to WJ. Needs to generate his own offense!!!

Regula - not much needed to say. He’s the anchor on our defense and he’s producing and playing solid defense what more could you ask for.

Stranges - Part of me thinks he’ll eventually get there but it’s gonna take all season to get there which is gonna be hell. Too scared to play along the boards and is most likely too small and not strong enough to do so. It’s so frustrating, cuz he just sits at the top of the blue line waiting to breakout. Offense is finally coming be I would like to see him use his vision more and be more of a playmaker and that will help him to be the driver on the second line.

Evangelista - he’s working on shooting now, but his feathery passes is what I love. They remind me of Marners passes. He’s put in the work and it shows. Still a long way to go to be where he should eventually be, but he’s playing more of a complete game and let’s see where he’s at in March cuz I think he’ll be a different player come then.

Skinner - He reminds me of a way better Brandon Crawley. Way more offensive punch and a pro shot and not afraid to be physical, something the Knights team doesn’t have a lot of. Would like to see him be exposed more, but he’s everything we needed from him.

Dunkley - I think it’s just hard to find a perfect spot for him on this team. Should he go on the second line, third line, or fourth and play different roles?? I think because he was a former first round pick, they are showing him the respect and wanna get the most out of him. Complete all-round player, but nothing that he does is “off the wall great” which is why Hunters were shopping him.

Guskov - man I expected more from him. He just lacks the consistency and IQ to be a top line player. His playing style isn’t suited for this team. He needs to go to another team and be in the top 6 to really flourish.

Tymkin - a mere shell of himself compared to last year. Not the same player at all. Just no offense and just stupid penalties. If he wants to be contributing go in front of the net and be a pain in the butt in there. Do something useful to be noticed. I know he is nowhere near his skillset, but if your a pain in the butt player, go do what Tkachuk did and let the other team know we’re here and we’re not going home

Nelson - just a generic player. Everyone else can do what he does. He might have a little better speed than most, but he has no finish ability. Can be moved for a conditional 15th in my opinion.

Moskal - He may not be producing much offense this year, but he sure knows his role and plays it well. Would like to see him create some chemistry with a line in order to be able to produce offense but that might come later in the season after trades are sorted out.

Keane - like the wheels but there is no offensive upside in his game or at least on this team. Can be okay on defense but only sometimes. Nothing special in his game though other than speed. Reminds me of a Ben Gleason, and will need to be moved in order to get to his potential.

Steklov - I may be the only guy who loves this player but he’s smooth and physical and he’s got some handles for a big guy. He should be played more but probably not until the end of the year. You can also tell this guy is smart and his gets his own and end and when to jump up. Reminds me of Nikita Zadorov.

Panwar - I just don’t know what the Hunters saw in this guy cuz he certainly hasn’t showed anything or anything regarding potential. Would love to see him moved to a place like Mississauga where he can be a player and just go all out and salvage his career.

Roger - A lot of potential just needs some time to figure it out.

Montgomery - needs to be played more. He’s got potential and size and a shot that gets through. He must be learning stuff from the coaching staff where he may have some weaknesses and they wanna work with him before he plays 3rd line minutes consistently.

McCue - can’t ask for anymore from a rookie. Plays his part and plays it well. Hopefully we can see more offense at the end of the year, but it won’t bug me if we don’t at least this year.

Last edited:

Knights Watcher

Jan 7, 2018
Bottom line is this team isn’t playing like a team. They’re playing like individuals on a team. Too many flashy passes and nobody is infront of the net to do the dirty work.

McMichael - everything we needed this year and more. Backchecks well and plays great defense which helps generate offense. Take a hint Antonio Stranges.

Foudy - would be nice if you and McMichael could actually generate some chemistry. Sooo much speed and too little vision won’t get you anywhere in the pros. The best Knights teams had a top line with great chemistry (2005, 2016 we all know who were on those lines). That’s why Peterborough beat us.

Merkley - tired of the “Merkley show” and him trying to be players one on one and then losing. This isn’t minor midget!! The last couple games I’ve noticed improvement in his defensive game breaking up 2 on 1’s and blocking shots on the PK, so at least he’s listening to the Hunters. Really need someone else to run the point on the PP so he can go on the halfboards and be an “extra forward” like Adam Boqvist was last year. Calling Thomas Harley to the stand!

Gruden - The quietest 29 pts I’ve ever seen in 26 game. He needs to step up and establish himself and maybe the WJ could do that for him, if he gets there or he better establish himself this month as a star.

Regula - not much needed to say. He’s the anchor on our defense and he’s producing and playing solid defense what more could you ask for.

Stranges - Part of me thinks he’ll eventually get there but it’s gonna take all season to get there which is gonna be hell. Too scared to play along the boards and is most likely too small and not strong enough to do so. It’s so frustrating, cuz he just sits at the top of the blue line waiting to breakout. Offense is finally coming be I would like to see him use his vision more and be more of a playmaker and that will help him to be the driver on the second line.

Evangelista - he’s working on shooting now, but his feathery passes is what I love. They remind me of Marners passes. He’s put in the work and it shows. Still a long way to go to be where he should eventually be, but he’s playing more of a complete game and let’s see where he’s at in March cuz I think he’ll be a different player come then.

Skinner - He reminds me of a way better Brandon Crawley. Way more offensive punch and a pro shot and not afraid to be physical, something the Knights team doesn’t have a lot of. Would like to see him be exposed more, but he’s everything we needed from him.

Dunkley - I think it’s just hard to find a perfect spot for him on this team. Should he go on the second line, third line, or fourth and play different roles?? I think because he was a former first round pick, they are showing him the respect and wanna get the most out of him. Complete all-round player, but nothing that he does is “off the wall great” which is why Hunters were shopping him.

Guskov - man I expected more from him. He just lacks the consistency and IQ to be a top line player. His playing style isn’t suited for this team. He needs to go to another team and be in the top 6 to really flourish.

Tymkin - a mere shell of himself compared to last year. Not the same player at all. Just no offense and just stupid penalties. If he wants to be contributing go in front of the net and be a pain in the butt in there. Do something useful to be noticed. I know he is nowhere near his skillset, but if your a pain in the butt player, go do what Tkachuk did and let the other team know we’re here and we’re not going home

Nelson - just a generic player. Everyone else can do what he does. He might have a little better speed than most, but he has no finish ability. Can be moved for a conditional 15th in my opinion.

Moskal - He may not be producing much offense this year, but he sure knows his role and plays it well. Would like to see him create some chemistry with a line in order to be able to produce offense but that might come later in the season after trades are sorted out.

Keane - like the wheels but there is no offensive upside in his game or at least on this team. Can be okay on defense but only sometimes. Nothing special in his game though other than speed. Reminds me of a Ben Gleason, and will need to be moved in order to get to his potential.

Steklov - I may be the only guy who loves this player but he’s smooth and physical and he’s got some handles for a big guy. He should be played more but probably not until the end of the year. You can also tell this guy is smart and his gets his own and end and when to jump up. Reminds me of Nikita Zadorov.

Roger - A lot of potential just needs some time to figure it out.

Montgomery - needs to be played more. He’s got potential and size and a shot that gets through. He must be learning stuff from the coaching staff where he may have some weaknesses and they wanna work with him before he plays 3rd line minutes consistently.

McCue - can’t ask for anymore from a rookie. Plays his part and plays it well. Hopefully we can see more offense at the end of the year, but it won’t bug me if we don’t at least this year.
I am in agreement with your assessments. I think we could get rid of Tymkin, Nelson, Keane, Dunkley, Guskov and Panwar for some decent returns.

Reactions: Knights77

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Teddy Bears cost $5 at some establishments. If you’re a regular follower, you know when the teddy bear toss game is. If you give a “hoot” you plan in advance and get a bear, shop for a cheap one if you have to. You donate because that’s what this time of year is about...giving and helping others. Not making excuses why you can’t. If you can afford a ticket to the game, you can afford to help others less fortunate. Stop making excuses and throwing shade at others who advocate for it.

Again... 3000 non season ticket holders.... but sure .. keep thinking that because someone doesn't bring a bear to the game they don't donate to charity. And completely ignoring that there are plenty of reasons why someone may not have a bear in their possession when you graced them with your presence.

Want to compare charitable donations? How much of your income do you donate on a regular basis?

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

back to my pedestal

Thinking that you know everything about everyone makes you a person who thinks they are better than everyone else.

You comment specifically about the people buying beer. Did you follow them in from their car? They were asking people with large Bears to leave them in a designated spot in the concourse. Same with bears with battery packs. What makes you think some of these people didn't do that? Maybe they took their Bears to their seats and left them there to get their beers.

And how many seats were actually occupied last night? There were 4 in our row and 3 behind us empty. Yes they announced a sellout because it was , but there were empty seats

Last edited:
Thinking that you know everything about everyone makes you a person who thinks they are better than everyone else.

You comment specifically about the people buying beer. Did you follow them in from their car? They were asking people with large Bears to leave them in a designated spot in the concourse. Same with bears with battery packs. What makes you think some of these people didn't do that? Maybe they took their Bears to their seats and left them there to get their beers.

And how many seats were actually occupied last night? There were 4 in our row and 3 behind us empty. Yes they announced a sellout because it was , but there were empty seats
My point is less than 1 per person. It hasn't changed.

Reactions: TheCoach
I don't claim to know everything about you... just what you put out there
So in assuming that I think I'm above everyone your assumption HAS to be correct? Or maybe just maybe your perception is a bit tainted and perhaps you just misunderstood my initial comment? But no...just assume that I think I'm better than everyone..because that's easier. Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad