London Knights 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
Just noticed on the OHL website on team rosters for 2018 pre-season; London has 18 Forwards and 11 Defensemen signed (and not one of them are OA/98). 29 players signed with "certain" promises of different degrees to "sign on the dotted line". Wow, that makes for a big number of players that have forgone their NCAA aspirations to play in the OHL and those dreams may/will now be dashed as well. This is the perfect example of a franchise that has the $$ to spend on "signing packages" with players that may actually have no chance of ever making the team to play in the OHL.
I know "this is a business" but is this really looking out for the best interest of some of these young hockey players?
caveat emptor

Reactions: Fastpace

TF519

Jun 9, 2014

Hill missed most of last season due to injury. Bollers was up and down the Saginaw lineup (did see some top 6 time but would be better suited in a grind role).

Fastpace

Jul 25, 2015
Usa
Is the OHL website wrong? the knights have 3 imports listed
Boqvist
Guskov
Kolyachonok

No that is right, they are allowed to carry three imports for a short time until Boqvist's fate as he's an import NHL first rd pick, he still has an outside shot making the Chicago Black Hawks

Reactions: zman77

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Hill missed most of last season due to injury. Bollers was up and down the Saginaw lineup (did see some top 6 time but would be better suited in a grind role).

That is so weird. I guess Drinkill will try to trade them, but no idea who would want them and whose roster they'd be able to crack. Definitely would not be London's. I guess London wanted some size for their training camp but no idea why else they would waste their time developing a rival's talent.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
That is so weird. I guess Drinkill will try to trade them, but no idea who would want them and whose roster they'd be able to crack. Definitely would not be London's. I guess London wanted some size for their training camp but no idea why else they would waste their time developing a rival's talent.

not much developing will get done in the 3 days they are there. this has happened in past years as well (connor graham 2016, connor hicks/jesse barwell 2017)

weird thing is that all these guys were going into OA seasons and I believe a standard player agreement covers every year until your OA one (correct me if i'm wrong). these guys are not going into OA seasons which i do find weird

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
not much developing will get done in the 3 days they are there. this has happened in past years as well (connor graham 2016, connor hicks/jesse barwell 2017)

weird thing is that all these guys were going into OA seasons and I believe a standard player agreement covers every year until your OA one (correct me if i'm wrong). these guys are not going into OA seasons which i do find weird

The weird thing is that their rights are still owned by another team. If they were there because they were released or something, that would be different. But I do not see how you can try out for another team in the same league when your rights are still owned by someone else.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
The weird thing is that their rights are still owned by another team. If they were there because they were released or something, that would be different. But I do not see how you can try out for another team in the same league when your rights are still owned by someone else.

The team holding their rights gave them permission.
My guess is they are no longer in the teams plans or other issue and they are hoping someone else takes a liking to them and a deal can be worked out.
Or its just a favour to another squad to allow decent players (bodies) to help a camp n hopefully they get seen by a lower level jr team.
They obviously dont want them at their camp for whatever reason........so im just guessing they are hoping either they get something back in trade (unlikely for sure) or its a goodwill move for the kids, the tryout team, agent, advisor or whoever.....

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018

that’s a better worded version of what i was trying to say. SPA’s i thought were first 4 eligible seasons but none of these guys are OAs so like u said saginaw still owns their rights

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
Sorry but the Rupert twins were way overrated, but I am sure the Sheffield Steelers will see them as the Sedins of England.

You’re not the same guy from Ingersoll before that was always ranting and raving , are you? Can’t remember that guys name....

Anyhoo, to call the Rupert’s overrated and then compare Moskal to Horvat is beyond ironic.

MikeBossy14

Jan 14, 2018
Ingersoll
You’re not the same guy from Ingersoll before that was always ranting and raving , are you? Can’t remember that guys name....

Anyhoo, to call the Rupert’s overrated and then compare Moskal to Horvat is beyond ironic.
Nope don't rant and rave. Just stating my opinion. I don't see any irony whatsoever, you either agree or disagree.

Reactions: webegtodiffer

superdee

Oct 17, 2015
Bo Horvat was a rare talent unless you were just comparing him just at the dot. Moskal given playing time has a tremendous upside and get better. If I had an OHL team I would make sure there was room for the Rupert twins. The might not have worked out in the NHL but they could definitely make any Junior team in the CHL better. In junior it is not the size of the dog in the fight but rather the fight in the dog. My little pit bull twins were rock solid.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Brock Otten...............Preseason Top 30 for the 2019 NHL Draft
Wednesday, August 22, 2018

#11. Connor McMichael - Forward - London Knights
The key piece in the Robert Thomas trade, McMichael is one of the smartest players in the age group. A very well rounded center who projects as someone who can be used in all situations and can eventually develop into an elite two-way player. Solid skater who I thought looked pretty good in a limited role with London to end last year, where his intelligence without the puck and vision as a playmaker were evident. A lack of strength was an issue as it often is for rookies. Will be interesting to see how much ice time he gets in London this coming season. If he moves from center, he could likely be a 3rd liner, but if they want him down the middle, he'll be slow played on the 4th like many top end London players before him. If the strength has improved, he can hopefully use his speed and smarts to be a strong penalty killer and stand out any way he can.

#14. Andrew Perrott - Defense - London Knights
From start to finish, Perrott was one of the rookies who improved the most over the course of last season. That's definitely encouraging as often times 16/17 year olds will hit a wall. Was super impressed with Perrott's physical intensity in the defensive end. Just a fearless player who can physically punish you already and who really seemed to learn how to play with more composure and patience as the season went on. I think there's more to his game offensively too. Later in the year we saw him start to lead the rush and gain confidence in his ability to work the point. Could develop into a real throwback two-way defender. Next year, I think he has a chance to be a top 4 defender for London, perhaps as a partner for Adam Boqvist. Let's see how his skating continues to evolve (as it's only average) and how his game grows, but I'm a big fan.

Appearing Soon:
Matvei Guskov - Forward - London Knights

OHL Prospects: Preseason Top 30 for the 2019 NHL Draft

Reactions: Fastpace
Let’s not get out of control here. He’s like a Rupert. That’s it, but I’ll take it....
Moskal is more like Drew Larman 2.0(2018 edition). Very steady on the dot, may lay a few good hits a year but doesn't really hunt the rough stuff, and is a sound 200 foot player that can throw the odd clutch goal up when you need it

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
2018 12th rounder Chase Strychaluk put up 3 points in jr. b preseason with komoka last night. most players in the game were 02s/major midget grads but still impressive

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
OHL Prospects Retweeted
Blues Prospects‏ @ProspectsBlues 9h9 hours ago
Quick blurb from Armstrong on Robert Thomas and how management sees
him fitting into the Blues plans this coming summer

#stlblues
pic.twitter.com/LCTVp2smox
DlN9JldU0AAXIIJ.jpg

89bardown

Aug 8, 2018
Ontario
Moskal ? On your the trading list, who want's him better have five second round picks and a couple prospects, if that don't make sense, so is Moskal on a trading list

I like Billy Moskal but if you think he's worth 5 second round picks and multiple players when Vallati is worth 2 seconds, 2 thirds and no players, I think you may be vastly overrating him.

Reactions: aresknights

89bardown

Aug 8, 2018
Ontario

This has happened before. I remember John Warren was loaned out to Sault Ste. Marie a few years ago at training camp. Happens most years, but it's always interesting to see an active OHL player at another training camp without a trade in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad