Confirmed with Link: Lombardi to Phoenix for conditional pick 4th rnd pick

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I seem to remember him wearing number 18 in calgary. And has anyone seen the Maloney press conference video on the coyotes site? He seems to be really excited about Lombardi being back.

Just watched it.. DM seems really high on Lombardi. He is talking like he knows a lot more than we do. I trust him.

Apparently Matt loved his time here. And DM said it is an "oasis" for Matt when comparing to Toronto :laugh:

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Vermette hasn't clicked one way or another? He, Boedker, and Doan hit it off like gang busters in the playoffs.

Yeah, well. In short I think Doan could do well with anyone really. Vermette was our only offensive center. Boedker was on a mission.

Maybe if old Lombo comes back, him with Doan wouldn't be bad. Vermette can possibly do the same on a similar line. If all else fails, Vermette can stick where he is and Lombardi will be the floater. Either way, I love the options we have now.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Maloney made it sound like he's done. No money left.

49 contracts and a full roster. Management needs to see how everyone responds during the start of the season before moving anybody. Something in a trade may happen about the time Torres comes back. Don't see any one being moved before then.
They're saving their money for when they acquire Iginla!

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Just watched it.. DM seems really high on Lombardi. He is talking like he knows a lot more than we do. I trust him.

Apparently Matt loved his time here. And DM said it is an "oasis" for Matt when comparing to Toronto :laugh:
It makes sense, I mean Lombardi seemed like a fairly quiet guy, I just can't imagine him dealing with the circus that is Toronto. I think health is really the only concern with this deal, as long as Lombardi stays healthy I have few worries that he won't earn his keep. In fact this trade has Vrbata 2.0 written all over it!

On a side note, I'm starting to see a niche here for Phoenix as the destination for players who just want to enjoy playing the game without the searing spotlight of a traditional market. The nice thing about Phoenix is you still get fans, support and stardom but it's tempered and tends to stay within the sphere of games and events. Here it's very easy for players not to bring their work home with them and I think that can be a selling point. After all not everyone wants a **** ton of attention!

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
This seems like a pretty good trade he had a decent amount of points with phoenix when he was here and back in calgary he had 11 SHG in 5 years which isn't bad and maybe make phoenix's already good penalty kill a bit more dangerous.

I believe he led the team in ppg his only full season with Phoenix.

acid

Jan 17, 2013
well than that makes it an even better addition if he can repeat because phoenix's powerplay needs a lot more help then their penalty kill

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
1) Watch that Maloney interview. He's as candid as ever
2) GMDM confirmed my suspicion that Lombardi wasn't in great shape last year because he was only cleared to play shortly before the season started
3) Somebody has to make the crowd swoon after Pyatt left.
4) This is a low-risk, moderately high-reward deal. At worst, we get a good PK center who has world-class speed, is good at faceoffs, and is a great locker room fit. The alternative is that we get something resembling the 09-10 Lombardi who had a 50 point season and was money in the playoffs. I'm fine with either. I can't even wipe my ass with a 4th round pick.

This makes our awesome PK even better. It never hurts to have options.

5) Best dressed GM in the league?

pimpmaloney_zps690943b7.png

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
2) GMDM confirmed my suspicion that Lombardi wasn't in great shape last year because he was only cleared to play shortly before the season started
4) This is a low-risk, moderately high-reward deal. At worst, we get a good PK center who has world-class speed, is good at faceoffs, and is a great locker room fit. The alternative is that we get something resembling the 09-10 Lombardi who had a 50 point season and was money in the playoffs. I'm fine with either. I can't even wipe my ass with a 4th round pick.

It's hard not to get pumped after listening to the interview. I didn't know he was training with Doan and company so we had inside info on his conditioning and health. Also, I didn't know his injury was a neck problems and NOT a concussion. Obviously a neck injury isn't good but players have been disappearing after concussions the last several years so I feel better about his chances of staying healthy, especially with the league cracking down on hitting. This could be the typical Maloney under the radar acquisition that turns out to be huge. Now if we can just get the Canadians to let him cross the border!

zz

Nov 1, 2006
On a side note, I'm starting to see a niche here for Phoenix as the destination for players who just want to enjoy playing the game without the searing spotlight of a traditional market.

Yep, we've come a looooong way from a destination for players to play golf and end their careers peacefully playing for an easy-going, half-committed coach who had no idea what he was doing.

wpgyotes

Bye Bryz
Jul 6, 2006
Not a home run, but a safe deal. He's a quality third line centre, will give more offensively than Gordon would in that spot, and fits our template. GMDM continues to get quality return for minimal risk.

krepitch

Coyote Fan
Jul 15, 2009
Phoenix

Thanks for posting that. I may have missed someone posting it on here, but I didn't realize that it wasn't a concussion, after all. I'm very happy to hear that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Meh, well Moss and Lombardi are familiar and 18 isn't really Moss' number anyhow, maybe the two of them can work that out. He's worn 25 before in Calgary and for Team USA.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Tim Connolly has now been waived. I guess it is apparent that we had a choice of the two and decided we like Lombardi better. I guess it makes sense. If Don really has that inside track and was able to dismiss that neck injury with confidence, it makes a whole lot of sense to grab the guy you already know and already like rather than the unknown player with a history of reoccurring injuries of the same nature over and over again.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
That was awesome. :laugh:

I wonder whose phone that was.

It was Sarah McClellan's. She tweeted it.

Meh, well Moss and Lombardi are familiar and 18 isn't really Moss' number anyhow, maybe the two of them can work that out. He's worn 25 before in Calgary and for Team USA.

25 is retired too.

Tim Connolly has now been waived. I guess it is apparent that we had a choice of the two and decided we like Lombardi better. I guess it makes sense. If Don really has that inside track and was able to dismiss that neck injury with confidence, it makes a whole lot of sense to grab the guy you already know and already like rather than the unknown player with a history of reoccurring injuries of the same nature over and over again.

I knew you would have input on Connolly. :laugh: you have been talking about him since last year. To be honest I'm more comfortable with Lombardi. He fits, we already know that, and he has speed. We now have Vermette, Boedker, Lombardi, and Korpikoski....all of which are amongst the fastest in the league.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Yeah, that one is Steen's. I don't want to offend our fans from Winnipeg but...yeah...I don't want to offend our fans from Winnipeg. :)

I'm with ya. I think its kind of B.S. that now that there is another team in Winnipeg, we still aren't able to let those numbers be used again. Some of the greatest hockey numbers are retired here and will never be available to use again. #7, #9, #10. I realize Tkachuk's number shouldn't be included in my short list, but still..:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad