Confirmed with Link: Lombardi to Phoenix for conditional pick 4th rnd pick

zz

Nov 1, 2006
As for Gomez...i think he would've been a good fit, but I'm honestly more comfortable with with Lombardi.

I do get the logic of 'the devil we know'. I'm 99% confident he'll fit in and contribute. Gomez was more of a wildcard, but a higher potential for 50+ points.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I do get the logic of 'the devil we know'. I'm 99% confident he'll fit in and contribute. Gomez was more of a wildcard, but a higher potential for 50+ points.

We could probably still have him. We'd have to make a choice, though, between he and Torres. And then find a taker for Torres. And then convince Gomez to sign for Torres money.

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Gomez-Hanzal-Vrbata
Sullivan-Lombardi-Korpikoski
Chipchura-Gordon-Moss
Johnson
Bissonnette

Works for me.

EC09

Cleveland Sports Fan
Jun 16, 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
5) Best dressed GM in the league?

pimpmaloney_zps690943b7.png

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
We could probably still have him. We'd have to make a choice, though, between he and Torres. And then find a taker for Torres. And then convince Gomez to sign for Torres money.

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Gomez-Hanzal-Vrbata
Sullivan-Lombardi-Korpikoski
Chipchura-Gordon-Moss
Johnson
Bissonnette

Works for me.

Like the speed on that third line, my brotha!

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I like how Maloney subtly does some advertising for Rundblad during the interview. Indicates to me they don'twant to use Gormley to acquire offensive help, but would rather use Rundblad. Hopefully, the additional exposure resulting from the phone call from Lombardi...catches the ear of another organization and they fall for Rundblad's enticing offensive tools.

huhwhtfkr

Aug 21, 2010
i heard that Lombo was down here skating this summer with the boys. if thats true then GMDM and DT wouldve had a good long look and made the decision easier for them. IDWT.:yo:

rt

May 13, 2004
i heard that Lombo was down here skating this summer with the boys. if thats true then GMDM and DT wouldve had a good long look and made the decision easier for them. IDWT.:yo:

Maloney talked about that in the press conference. Doan also spoke about it to the media after the scrimmage. He was staying with Doan and skating with all the other NHLers in Phoenix getting into shape.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
As for Gomez...i think he would've been a good fit, but I'm honestly more comfortable with with Lombardi.

In this shortened season this trade allows for Lombardi to slide in and not miss a beat. He knows most of the players, has established chemistry with Doan, and understands the defensive schema that Tippett loves to implement. Add on how motivated he is along with it being a contract year. The only question wasn't if we were going to acquire or really when. it was how much of the contract can we get the leafs to pay.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I like how Maloney subtly does some advertising for Rundblad during the interview. Indicates to me they don'twant to use Gormley to acquire offensive help, but would rather use Rundblad. Hopefully, the additional exposure resulting from the phone call from Lombardi...catches the ear of another organization and they fall for Rundblad's enticing offensive tools.

We all know that Rundblad was acquired because he was the best asset being offered for Turris. I think there is some truth that the plan was all along to give him the development time and then flip him for something that better suites this franchise. I strongly maintain that you can't fit both Yandle and Rundblad on this roster for a prolonged period.

Gormely is similar to OEL in terms of strength of overall game (all 3 zones). Tippett and co. have a greater affinity for players that can play under any circumstances and let's face it Tippett likes mistake free hockey. Gormely is a player who learns quickly. He's never gotten a lot of love on the main boards but Gormely is legitimately a Top 5 D prospect in the entire NHL. He ranked as #2 last year behind Hamilton and I would argue that he bypassed Hamilton after the strength of his Memorial Cup last spring (should have been the MVP of the tournament).

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'm amazed at how well we can predict this teams' moves as a group. For years we were begging for Vermy and we get him. Then Lombo goes to TO and doesn't do well and everyone pretty much figured we would be bringing him back here for next to nothing.

I think RT even called the round of the draft pick we would be sending.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm amazed at how well we can predict this teams' moves as a group. For years we were begging for Vermy and we get him. Then Lombo goes to TO and doesn't do well and everyone pretty much figured we would be bringing him back here for next to nothing.

RT is Don Maloney. It's obvious.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated

Don't forget that he called Vrbata back for David Hale and Todd Fedoruk.

rt

May 13, 2004
yeaaaa but Didn't RT bag on the signing of Mike Smith?

Mercilessly. I can't express how angry I was that we signed him instead of Vokoun. I hated the Smith signing and was convinced it would be a huge failure.

The Fedoruk and Hale thing, I'm pretty sure I got the idea elsewhere and was credited with it, but I can't really remember.

As far as wanting Sullivan and Lombardi and getting them, well a lot of us fit that category. I also called for a million other things. Throw enough **** at a wall and eventually some of it will stick. Doesn't make you an expert **** thrower, just an incredibly busy one.

rt: Proudly Throwing More **** at Walls Than Anyone, since 2004.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I was on the Vokoun wagon as well. Not like we were wrong, though. GMDM called him first but didn't like the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad