Confirmed with Link: Lombardi to Phoenix for conditional pick 4th rnd pick

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Meh. I would've preferred to go in a different direction. But with Toronto picking up 1.5 mill of his salary I guess its worth a shot. I loved him while he was here the first time and hopefully he can get back to that level. I don't really believe he "never wanted to leave", when he turned down our offer to look for more money.

Everyone goes for money, let's be realistic.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Smartest deal we could make at this time. Neither a buyer's nor seller's market.

We have a lot of the 2009-2010 post-season roster back now (still the team that I think was the best collection of talent in Tippett's tenure). But in some of those problem areas that we may have had with that team, we've improved through signings and development to mold ourselves into probably the most talented team we have iced since.

Nice work. :cheers:

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I don't know about his rookie year, but Moss played most of 07/08 on a line with Lombardi and Yelle.

The following year it looked like Moss and Glencross played a lot together with a revolving door of centers between them. Conroy filled the roll most of the time, then Boyd, and then Lombardi (in terms of % of ES icetime).

They've definitely played together though.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan
It's possible Lombardi can't go for Saturday. Has to sort out visa issues before crossing border. #Coyotes optimistic, though.

zz

Nov 1, 2006
Eh, whatever. Boring trade, really. Sure, we might get 25-30 points on the cheap. Whatever. There's no downside, and the upside really isn't that interesting.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't know about his rookie year, but Moss played most of 07/08 on a line with Lombardi and Yelle.

The following year it looked like Moss and Glencross played a lot together with a revolving door of centers between them. Conroy filled the roll most of the time, then Boyd, and then Lombardi (in terms of % of ES icetime).

They've definitely played together though. I can't help but think that when Torres' suspension is over, he might be a good choice to slide into the LW spot with Lombardi and Moss.

That's Korpikoski's spot.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Apparently this deal has been in the works since before the lockout..

Sarah McLellan @azc_mclellan
And Doan is gift that keeps on giving. Lombo stayed at Doan's ranch during lockout when he skated here. Doan was impressed with his status.

Also, glad to hear that he never wanted to leave in the first place.

Feb 12, 2003
I'm happy to see the deal but I still think Gomez may have been a better opportunity and cost no assets.

I'm curious to see how he does now because he and Upshall had a lot of chemistry and it really propelled both of them in a contract year. It makes sense to put Moss with him if they have a history and the way our depth chart looks. It also probably makes sense to put Korpi with him given that they both have the wheels and it might be a similar dynamic as what Lombo had with Upshall.

Maloney is the king of re-acquiring players. We've reacquired Morris, Michalek and now Lombardi. This was a relatively smart trade but I can't help but feel the price was a little bit higher than it really should have been. The draft pick is only as good as it is because Toronto is picking up so much of the salary/cap space, otherwise I imagine it would be worse.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
To avoid confusion, we got Lombardi for a conditional 4th in 2014.

Our 2013 4th rounder was given to Columbus for Vermette. Philadelphia got the pick in the Bobrovsky trade.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I'm happy to see the deal but I still think Gomez may have been a better opportunity and cost no assets.

I'm curious to see how he does now because he and Upshall had a lot of chemistry and it really propelled both of them in a contract year. It makes sense to put Moss with him if they have a history and the way our depth chart looks. It also probably makes sense to put Korpi with him given that they both have the wheels and it might be a similar dynamic as what Lombo had with Upshall.

Maloney is the king of re-acquiring players. We've reacquired Morris, Michalek and now Lombardi. This was a relatively smart trade but I can't help but feel the price was a little bit higher than it really should have been. The draft pick is only as good as it is because Toronto is picking up so much of the salary/cap space, otherwise I imagine it would be worse.

I hope he can develop chemistry with Korpi but Lombo is pass first and Upshall was shoot always. Korpi isn't that kind of player. He has the speed in common though.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
This is a 'good' pick up on many levels. First, it's nice to be able to move Gordon down to where he really needed to be on the 4th line and it gives Korpi/Moss a more creative/speedy center to play with which should help both of them immensely.

Second, we got him for a 4th and paying next to nothing on his salary.

There are guys that just fit certain systems. Vrbata is one of those guys and I'm guessing that the comfort level Lombo with the Coyotes will help propel him to 20+ pts (shortened season) and that is all we need from him.

I think it's a good fit and I'm glad he's back, it was a joy to watch his speed and having both he and Korpi flying up the ice is going to be fun to watch.

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
I was at the scrimmage when this was announced as breaking news over the PA. Cool to see the fans there cheer for the trade. Myself one of them, if only it means we aren't getting Gomez.

This makes me think we got a 4th line of Chip-Gordon-Moss. Which sounds pretty nice. But I see people putting moss on the 3rd line. Maybe I'm missing something?

Wouldn't surprise me to see him with Doan real early. Every new center gets a turn with Doan, he's a good safe guard. Lombo was probably one of Shane's better centers so why not throw them together. Vermette is good but I don't think he has clicked one way or another with any line.

rt

May 13, 2004
I was at the scrimmage when this was announced as breaking news over the PA. Cool to see the fans there cheer for the trade. Myself one of them, if only it means we aren't getting Gomez.

This makes me think we got a 4th line of Chip-Gordon-Moss. Which sounds pretty nice. But I see people putting moss on the 3rd line. Maybe I'm missing something?

Wouldn't surprise me to see him with Doan real early. Every new center gets a turn with Doan, he's a good safe guard. Lombo was probably one of Shane's better centers so why not throw them together. Vermette is good but I don't think he has clicked one way or another with any line.

Vermette hasn't clicked one way or another? He, Boedker, and Doan hit it off like gang busters in the playoffs.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I wonder what number he uses as i doubt he gets 15 from Gordon.

He was number 20 in Calgary, im sure he can get it from Summers.

Good trade :) Happy. Wonder if he's done?

Not sure if the Flamess website is wrong, but it says he was #18:help: #20 seems to be familiar though.

They've definitely played together though. I can't help but think that when Torres' suspension is over, he might be a good choice to slide into the LW spot with Lombardi and Moss.

Can you clarify what number he wore for the flames?
More Lombardi: "I feel as good as I’ve felt in a long time. Physically, I’m in great shape."

The multiple qualifiers he felt were necessary make me nervous. Why not just say "I feel the best I've ever felt and I'm in the best shape of my life"? His thinly masked candor is mildly worrisome.

Does everything have to be a conspiracy theory in Coyote threads:shakehead If he's asked about his health in every interview it's understandable he might sound a bit overzealous about being healthy no?

rt

May 13, 2004
Google images shows him as #18 as a Flame (#49 as a rookie). He wore #15 in Nashville and Toronto. He was #18 for team Canada. He wore #10 for Victoriaville in the QMJHL. Do we have a number ten? Seems like a good number for a speedy center.

Last edited:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
I seem to remember him wearing number 18 in calgary. And has anyone seen the Maloney press conference video on the coyotes site? He seems to be really excited about Lombardi being back.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
I wonder if he can get #18 from that POS....I mean from POS:naughty:

Or are they retiring Tyson's number this year:sarcasm:

acid

Jan 17, 2013
This seems like a pretty good trade he had a decent amount of points with phoenix when he was here and back in calgary he had 11 SHG in 5 years which isn't bad and maybe make phoenix's already good penalty kill a bit more dangerous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad