Prospect Info: Logan Stanley - Part III

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Stanley looked great last night. Calm with the puck, made the safe plays, a menace physically. Didn't get to see him unleash the cannon yet but it's always there.

I'm curious to see what happens when paired with a Poolman type. Even Chiarot used to look good with Buff.

By the looks of it Stanley is going to have a decent season on the farm.

I was really surprised how good Stanley looked. Pre-season game and with Buff, but still that made me hopeful that he might be a decent NHL D quite soon. Maybe not yet this season, but who knows.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It's interesting no one ever talks about the Buff factor with Enstrom. With that pair Enstrom fans always emphasize how defensively sound he was and then whenever Buff is on a line with anyone else they call it the Buff factor. I thought Logan Stanley looked good.

Reactions: Joe Strummer

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
It's interesting no one ever talks about the Buff factor with Enstrom. With that pair Enstrom fans always emphasize how defensively sound he was and then whenever Buff is on a line with anyone else they call it the Buff factor. I thought Logan Stanley looked good.
Sure it has, but Enstrom was also an effective player without Buff. Stanley may be as well some day, with a good dose of luck, but his comfort level last night was definitely aided by the big man.

Reactions: jetsforever

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Stanley looked just fine to me
Not impressive. Not underwhelming.

Wouldn't be upset if he got a shot on the rodtro, which is impressive given his previous csreer trajectory

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

That's because they're talking about post-Enstrom Buff, what we might call Buff 2.0. This Buff 2.0 is no longer a careless rover, a buccaneer whose risky plays require a solid D-partner able to cover for his jaw-dropping mistakes, but a sound defender whose intimidating presence and veteran leadership help him raise any old rookie or AHL lifer to NHL top-4 levels in a few shifts, especially if that partner is Stanley or Chairot and would otherwise be a tire fire. Even Myers looks good next to Buff 2.0 -- that's right, the same Myers whose pairing with Buff 1.0 could thrust the board into a cilantro-fuelled bender lasting for weeks. That's the Buff 2.0 factor. And, with the emergence of Buff 2.0, the search is on for a scapegoat capable of filling the boots of the Old Buff. Come on down, Big Logan!

Reactions: Ducky10

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
I always have believed that if Stanley reaches a top 4/5 dman, then he will have reached his full potential

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

That's mostly because Enstrom was still good away from Buff. Up until the finals seasons he was a legitimate #3-4 defender.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That's mostly because Enstrom was still good away from Buff. Up until the finals seasons he was a legitimate #3-4 defender.
I am having a hard time remembering when they played Enstrom with anyone else. It seems like whenever they were both healthy they generally played together.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Where are the guys that ppl were upset he was chosen instead of? It would be really nice if they backslided or did not live up to the pre-draft hype.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I am having a hard time remembering when they played Enstrom with anyone else. It seems like whenever they were both healthy they generally played together.

Enstrom did tend to have a positive impact on everyone, including Byfuglien.

Enstrom played about 6821 minutes for the Jets 2.0. In that time the team controlled 51.5 percent of shots and 51.0 percent of goals, which is something for a team that was mostly out of the playoffs (which means they were outscored on the whole). The team's share of shots and goals was better with Enstrom on the ice than on the bench by 1.1 and 1.5 percentage points respectively. So from that, we see that Enstrom made the team better.

Of those 6821 minutes, Enstrom has played 2877 minutes with Byfuglien on the ice, although some of that would be when Byfuglien was a forward.

Enstrom's results are indeed better with than without Byfuglien; in part because of chemistry (Byfuglien is all offense and Enstrom is all defense), while part is because Byfuglien was just better than most of the alternatives (anyone not named Trouba).

WAR, specifically the even strength portion, looks at how a player impacts all his linemates and all his opponents.

Fun fact:
Enstrom had the 52nd highest even strength WAR last season in his "bad year" and 35th highest even strength WAR/60...

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
The Buff factor is large.

Nobody said that about Enström last year though. Well I did but people jumped on it.

So I don’t think it’s necessarily fair to diminish Stanley’s good play by saying he was paired with Buff, who makes anyone look good. Either Stanley looked good, or Enström was also carried by Buff.

Reactions: Ippenator

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
If Stanley gets any regular season games then we must have been hit with the injury bug real bad, he is not ready and a full year will do him good in the AHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
If Stanley gets any regular season games then we must have been hit with the injury bug real bad, he is not ready and a full year will do him good in the AHL.
I think you're right, but his D partner didn't do him any favours tonight.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I think you're right, but his D partner didn't do him any favours tonight.

I always thought he was at least 1.5-2 years on the Moose to get used to the speed and develop the rest of his game. He definitely has the tools, size and stick, but his speed and transition just need to catch up.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Stanley looked like a pylon in the highlights vs the Oilers.

I think the best thing I can think of is if he wears the number 20 and wins the cup in 2020 with the Jets. That would be a viral photo and one that'll last in Winnipeg forever.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Being paired with Morrow vs Buff is a large drop off. Last night he made a couple of bad plays and had few bad breaks that he will learn from but Loley has still exceeding my expectations this preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad