Prospect Info: Logan Stanley - Part III

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Let's talk about Stanley some more!

Last few posts from last thread:

Okay.

Button still likes him. I'm still unconvinced.

Yes, strong second half improvement in skating, puck handling and movement, in his draft year. Played an effective shutdown role for Rocky, was given pp time and didt look out of place.

He started off slow this sason but was steadily improving and was playing at a high level prior to his injury this season, and had he stayed healthy, would have easily doubled his point totals from his previous season.

He was also stood out at development camp scrimmages, I thought he was one of the better prospects in both.

He has some tools to go with his size, he will just need time to develop them.

That's my thoughts on it as well but I am not smart enough to dissect all the advanced stats.

I am just going off the fact that the scouting team has proven my wrong time and time again.

Damien Cox does not create his own list by watching kids play hockey. He has a few "ghost writers" in the scouting world who help him with that task. It's more of a McKenzie kind of list. Cox is no scout and he certainly doesn't watch all those kids play.

I can definitely see the improvement in terms of production but I watched him with Windsor, mostly for Sergachev, a boat load last year and I don't think I ever saw any major improvement in any of those areas. He was just given more and more responsibility. But even now he rarely plays when the team is down or on the PP. He had one shift in the last 10 minutes when it was 3-1 in the 1st period of the last game. When they were up 6-1 he was finally given some PP time and saw the ice a lot more which is typical of how he has been deployed going back to the 15-16 season. I think it's likely that Sergachev is with the Habs next year and I believe Day is old enough to be eligible for the AHL so he may or may not be playing there depending on a lot of things. Chatfield will for sure be gone. So Stanley may be the best defencemen on the team at that point. But they also likely lose Bracco, Nattinen, McCool, Knott, Brown, Luchuk, DiGiacinto and Addisson. Which is basically they entire top forward core. So while he may be getting a lot more time next season in important situations the team will be reaaally depleted. Vilardi might be enough for them to maintain a decent offence. Hard to say though.

Was at the Windsor - Seattle game. Being off for months definitely affected Stanley's play at times. Just trying to get the legs moving at game speed early on. Was a little winded on the bench in the last half of the third. Not unexpected for his second game back.

Same rule applies as in last thread. This was a controversial pick. That does not give you the right to attack other posters.

Carry on!

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Some praise for LS from his coach on his return:

Guys did a good job filling in for (Stanley) but obviously he was a big loss,” said Spitfires coach Rocky Thompson. “He’s arguably your best defenceman, or No. 2 defenceman.

“I believe him to be one of the hardest defencemen to play against without the puck in the CHL, he’s done a great job preparing himself over the four-month stretch. He really grew as an athlete and an individual... Having him back in the lineup is so valuable.”

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2017/05/18/return-of-logan-stanley-boosts-windsors-memorial-cup-hopes.html

DK59

Nov 18, 2012
Is Logan Stanley the new Boris Valabik?

I think the key thing for Stanley is to continue to progress and develop. Looking at Valabik's offensive numbers it looks like he completely stalled after his draft year. Based on Stanley's D+1 year there does appear to be a positive progression which is encouraging.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg

So, what you're saying is that Stanley could be a higher scoring bigger better Chiarot!:sarcasm:
If he is good defensively & hopefully great on the PK with that reach, I would be happy with that. The Jets took a bit of a risk on their 2nd First rounder, I'm good with that and have faith, give it some time!

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

He might be, yes. Valabik was pretty much the first thing that came to my mind when I did research about the pick and what most people project Stanley to be. I really, really hope it's not gonna happen but I honestly expect it to happen. Odds are against him, IMO.

Still no reason to justify to throw **** at him though. He's gonna have every chance to prove that he's no second Boris Valabik.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Hard to tell yet.

I have put the previous two Longan Stanley threads on ignore since I didn't think I was in the right mindset and didn't have any constructive comments to add to this debate. I remain alarmed by the pick under Hillier's leadership because I had Stanley's future value pegged as AHL/NHL tweener since before the draft BUT I am cheering for the kid and remain hopeful he defies some long odds.

Straining to find the positives I do like that his coach values his game so much but as we have seen with Maurice sometimes coaches get store blind. He seems like a really high character kid. I like that some decent hockey minds see something in him I don't. Also I have been very wrong before about prospects and I am praying I am wrong again.

After the Memorial cup wraps up I might do a quick evaluation of what I see in his game. Really glad he is back playing in this tournament and part of a team that is hot. He will face a huge test tonight against Erie because they have been amazing so far in this tournament.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Some praise for LS from his coach on his return:

Guys did a good job filling in for (Stanley) but obviously he was a big loss,†said Spitfires coach Rocky Thompson. “He’s arguably your best defenceman, or No. 2 defenceman.

“I believe him to be one of the hardest defencemen to play against without the puck in the CHL, he’s done a great job preparing himself over the four-month stretch. He really grew as an athlete and an individual... Having him back in the lineup is so valuable.â€

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2017/05/18/return-of-logan-stanley-boosts-windsors-memorial-cup-hopes.html

I think it's interesting Rocky would say that because his deployment of Stanley during the season and Mem Cup would say he thinks Sergachev and Chatfield are more reliable. When Windsor is down you can bet your ass that Sergachev snd Chatfield are on the ice. When the game is close in the dying seconds and Windsor is protecting a lead you can bet you ass that Sergachev and Chatfield are on the ice. If he thinks Stanley is one of his top two defencemen he sure doesn't show it. You go back to game 2 vs Seattle when the Tbirds were gaining momentum at the end of the first Stanley had one 30~ second shift in the last 10 minutes of the period.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think it's interesting Rocky would say that because his deployment of Stanley during the season and Mem Cup would say he thinks Sergachev and Chatfield are more reliable. When Windsor is down you can bet your ass that Sergachev snd Chatfield are on the ice. When the game is close in the dying seconds and Windsor is protecting a lead you can bet you ass that Sergachev and Chatfield are on the ice. If he thinks Stanley is one of his top two defencemen he sure doesn't show it. You go back to game 2 vs Seattle when the Tbirds were gaining momentum at the end of the first Stanley had one 30~ second shift in the last 10 minutes of the period.

Keep in mind Stanley is coming off of a 4 month hiatus due to injury. It's possible they Re trying to ease him back in.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I wanted Johansen from Kelowna at the 22nd pick in 2016.

At the time I thought it would be great if we could get him in 2016 and somehow get Foote in 2017 draft. In 2016 I thought we would most likely draft btw 12th and 20 th in 2017 and thought Foote would rise in to the top 10.

If it would have worked out that way it would have been fun to watch the Rockets in 2017/18 as a Jets fan.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
watched the highlights from the Seattle game. Am really curious if he can continue to impose his size on players once he gets to the AHL level. He did it well enough I thought in those tiny clips from the highlights.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Stanley is clearly one of the go-to D for the PK, though, including 5v3.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Sergachev was a beneficiary of Stanley's injury according to Google. His usage increased to fill in for Stanley's loss. Doesn't seem fair to now tout his usage as evidence of Stanley being bad.

Seems to be a lot of unfair Stanley bashing IMO. If you look at the broader picture Stanley was almost universally projected to be a first rounder and universally placed ahead of the next two D that were picked - Cholowoski and Johansen. Both of those were picked in the first round in spite of many having them as second rounders in their draft projections. If the Jets were looking for a D it seems other teams were as well and their moving up to acquire the better of the next 3 D available was a result of the market on that day. If the Jets were overvaluing D on that day so were many others.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Stanley is clearly one of the go-to D for the PK, though, including 5v3.

Oh for sure Stanley was on the ice for the entire 5 on 3 actually. So he definitely opted for him in that situation but the score was already 4-1 by then. Stanley looks to be on the 2nd PK group. Though he often starts a PK out because usually Serg and Chatfield are already on the ice. From what I can tell he likes Serge and Chatfield to be on the ice at the end of a PK.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Sergachev was a beneficiary of Stanley's injury according to Google. His usage increased to fill in for Stanley's loss. Doesn't seem fair to now tout his usage as evidence of Stanley being bad.

Seems to be a lot of unfair Stanley bashing IMO. If you look at the broader picture Stanley was almost universally projected to be a first rounder and universally placed ahead of the next two D that were picked - Cholowoski and Johansen. Both of those were picked in the first round in spite of many having them as second rounders in their draft projections. If the Jets were looking for a D it seems other teams were as well and their moving up to acquire the better of the next 3 D available was a result of the market on that day. If the Jets were overvaluing D on that day so were many others.

I don't think you'd find a coach in any league anywhere in the world that would rather have Stanley on the ice in a do or die situation, whether trying to mount a come back or protecting a lead, than Serge. Including Rocky Thompson. Sergachev is probably the best defencemen in the OHL right now IMO. Kid is better than Stanley at basically everything. Just watch him with Windsor he has virtually every tool you want a defencemen to have and he has a massive toolbox to go along with it. Sergachevs usage definitely went up but he will always be used more than Stanley on that team when the pressure is on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad