Prospect Info: Logan Stanley - Part III

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
So far Logan Stanley has played in 3 of 6 games. I am not sure if he played the last 2 but if his minutes are lacking and he is sitting in the press box, should the Moose not send him to the ECHL?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So far Logan Stanley has played in 3 of 6 games. I am not sure if he played the last 2 but if his minutes are lacking and he is sitting in the press box, should the Moose not send him to the ECHL?

He was injured after the 1st game he played, or else he likely would have been playing in every game. I'm more worried about Luke Green who hasn't suited up once this season. Might be an injury there as well.

Reactions: Rheged

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
When he's been healthy it looks like they've been running:

Niku-Poolman
Stanley-Stoykewich
Schilling-Nogier

Admittedly I haven't watched a ton yet this year but that looks like a group that would be pretty well balanced in terms of ice. (And all the more reason to probably get Green to Jacksonville so he can get some play time if he's healthy)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The good news about Stanley (yes I just said that) is we have all the time in the world to let this come together. He was always going to be a draft +5 NHL player at the earliest in my mind. It’s all about mobility for Stanley. If and it’s a massive “if” he can exceed an adequate skating development threshold which allows for tight gaps, smooth edge work, more fluid lateral adjustments, and quicker turns for faster retrieval then he has other compelling assets he could leverage.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He was injured after the 1st game he played, or else he likely would have been playing in every game. I'm more worried about Luke Green who hasn't suited up once this season. Might be an injury there as well.

An injury to Green would be a little concerning too - after last season.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
According to someone I know who is involved with the team, they're basically having him learn to skate all over again and changing his mechanics. They've seen improvement already this year and they're encouraged

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
According to someone I know who is involved with the team, they're basically having him learn to skate all over again and changing his mechanics. They've seen improvement already this year and they're encouraged

Good idea. Maybe they should have Laine sit out for a while and teach him how to skate, too. :mad:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's definitely discouraging to see Cholowski doing so well. We could have had him with our pick and left Stanley for Detroit.

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to come here and be the one to start the **** all over again.

Since you have started it :laugh: - we also could have had our choice of Kale Clague or Filip Hronek at 36. Hronek would have given us a nice L/R pair. No need to argue about handedness. But I would still take my original picks of Johansen & Clague over Stanley. Both are progressing in the AHL.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to come here and be the one to start the **** all over again.

Since you have started it :laugh: - we also could have had our choice of Kale Clague or Filip Hronek at 36. Hronek would have given us a nice L/R pair. No need to argue about handedness. But I would still take my original picks of Johansen & Clague over Stanley. Both are progressing in the AHL.

Yeah my original picks were Clague and Johansen as well. :laugh:

Clague is up to 6 points in 8 games in the AHL.
Johansen has 4 points in 8 games in the AHL.

Stanley has 0 points in 3 games in the AHL.
Green hasn't even dressed yet this season.

More perspective for dmen taken after Stanley:
Cholowski 6 points in 8 NHL games.
Peeke still in NCAA but has 5 points in 6 games.
Hajek only 1 point through 9 AHL games.
Krys injured after one NCAA game.
Girard 4 points through 11 NHL games after playing last year.
Lindgren pointless through 7 AHL games.
Hronek 3 points in 6 NHL games.

Turns out that we actually did Detroit a favour as they got both Cholowski and Hronek when they wanted Stanley.

I know the horse has been beaten to death but hopefully Stanley becomes at least a serviceable 3rd pairing guy in the NHL or that may go down as our biggest draft blunder.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Turns out that we actually did Detroit a favour as they got both Cholowski and Hronek when they wanted Stanley.

I know the horse has been beaten to death but hopefully Stanley becomes at least a serviceable 3rd pairing guy in the NHL or that may go down as our biggest draft blunder.

Yeah, I forgot about this emoji, :deadhorse maybe need to use it more often. :laugh:

I'm afraid that it will go down as our biggest draft blunder even if he does become a serviceable 3rd pair D. That will be some consolation though. He is always going to be compared to the alternatives. That is a little unfair to Stanley. It isn't his fault that he is what he is. The comparison is on the pick, not the player.

Just for a slightly different perspective on the value, is there ever a time when the 22nd + 36th - 79th picks wouldn't have more value than that of a serviceable 3rd pair D? Joe Morrow cost a 4th. Pouliot cost a 4th + a guy who is in the KHL this year. I think they could probably have fetched better than just a serviceable 3rd pair D if we had just used them for a direct trade for a player. There are always teams looking to acquire high picks going into the draft.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

We could also have had DeBrincat with the #36 pick.

Laine + Clague + Debrincat coming out of one draft, that could have been a franchise changing draft.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

For me personally with a first rounder (especially in the teen) if logan can’t crack the top 4 at some point we missed on the pick. Bottom pairing talent can be picked up pretty easily in the NHL.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Meh...if there's one area I refuse to criticize the org for, it's drafting. They're the envy of the league in that regard I dare say.

I know I am ragging on this pick but you are correct we have been a good drafting team.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We could also have had DeBrincat with the #36 pick.

Laine + Clague + Debrincat coming out of one draft, that could have been a franchise changing draft.

Yeah Chevy dropped the ball hard on that one.

What he said. There were a lot of possibilities.

Just goes to show he and his draft team are fallible humans. Doesn't make them fools or idiots.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know I am ragging on this pick but you are correct we have been a good drafting team.

TBL have maybe been better - and mostly in the later rounds where it is just pure chance - but, whatever works. :laugh:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Why wouldn’t this have been done year 1 or 2?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Why wouldn’t this have been done year 1 or 2?
I'm guessing because he was playing junior in Ontario, not on the farm team in Winnipeg with Jets staff. Likely they told him what they wanted him to improve on, but that is much different than having True North staff working with you everyday to make the changes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad