Prospect Info: Logan Stanley - Part III

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
you draft by projecting out. was scheifele the 7th best prospect in 2011. I will let you know in 10 years if Stanley was the best available.
Keep in mind that a draft isn't about one player, it's about your whole organization. If a 7th round pick becomes a HOFer it doesn't mean they should have been drafted in the first round. It's how you maximize your organization's overall gain.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Keep in mind that a draft isn't about one player, it's about your whole organization. If a 7th round pick becomes a HOFer it doesn't mean they should have been drafted in the first round. It's how you maximize your organization's overall gain.

Also, judging organizations given information that wasn't available to the organization at the time (development, freak accidents, growth spurts, etc.) is a false evaluation.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Imagine if the Jets traded up for Morin who they rated slightly higher than Morrissey.

It's always hard to rate drafting because there is a lot of unknowns without knowing their list.

Even knowing their list doesn't help much. Being a fly on the wall when they are making decisions would be nice.

In the Stanley case, we know they were heavily influenced by his size. What else they may have liked we don't know. Work ethic has been mentioned a lot.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Even knowing their list doesn't help much. Being a fly on the wall when they are making decisions would be nice.

In the Stanley case, we know they were heavily influenced by his size. What else they may have liked we don't know. Work ethic has been mentioned a lot.
How do we know they were heavily influenced by his size. Or does the head scout saying of coarse we like his size mean that.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He also said he liked a dozen other things about him but this is the one that heavily influenced them. Ok. Scouting him for years and talking to gms and coaches in the ohl including his own on what kind of player and person he was were all just minor reasons to why they drafted him to him being big and the head scout saying we also like his size.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He also said he liked a dozen other things about him but this is the one that heavily influenced them. Ok. Scouting him for years and talking to gms and coaches in the ohl including his own on what kind of player and person he was were all just minor reasons to why they drafted him to him being big and the head scout saying we also like his size.

I thought you were going to wait 10 years before continuing this argument.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

I disagree.

I think it was Ken Holland, on being told how smart he must have been to draft Zetterberg in the 7th round, said "If I was that smart, I would have drafted him in the first round". If you really like a player, you draft him, even if you think you might have gotten him later on for cheaper.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
I disagree.

I think it was Ken Holland, on being told how smart he must have been to draft Zetterberg in the 7th round, said "If I was that smart, I would have drafted him in the first round". If you really like a player, you draft him, even if you think you might have gotten him later on for cheaper.
Wouldn't you want a first round pick plus the HOFer in the later round?

Edit: to make my point clearer, it's better for your franchise to draft a superstar later in a draft because it becomes 1st round player plus the superstar instead of superstar plus the 7th round player.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Blue Baron

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
You can pick and choose your stat. I will choose goals since putting the puck in the net is the hardest thing a professional does. Stanley has already scored more goals so far in his rookie professional season than Chychrun has in each of his last two seasons. The point is that bypassing the AHL as a pick to directly play in the NHL does not necessarily mean the kid was a home run pick compared to the kid picked two spots later.

We judge players based on one play now?

Chychrun's progress has been limited by injuries but he is scoring at a higher rate in the NHL than Logan is in the AHL.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You can pick and choose your stat. I will choose goals since putting the puck in the net is the hardest thing a professional does. Stanley has already scored more goals so far in his rookie professional season than Chychrun has in each of his last two seasons. The point is that bypassing the AHL as a pick to directly play in the NHL does not necessarily mean the kid was a home run pick compared to the kid picked two spots later.

There is no comparing scoring goals in the NHL to scoring goals in the AHL. Chychrun has managed to win a job in the NHL 3 times now. Stanley may never do that. Never mind how many goals they may or may not score. Chychrun is way ahead if he had never scored a point.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Wouldn't you want a first round pick plus the HOFer in the later round?

Edit: to make my point clearer, it's better for your franchise to draft a superstar later in a draft because it becomes 1st round player plus the superstar instead of superstar plus the 7th round player.

Of course it is better to hit on your early picks and get lucky on your later ones. But good players out of the 7th round are always unexpected. If the team that got them had known how well they would turn out, they would have taken them earlier, rather than risk some other team getting them.

Your human half is confusing your Vulcan half on this one Spock. :laugh:

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
There is no comparing scoring goals in the NHL to scoring goals in the AHL. Chychrun has managed to win a job in the NHL 3 times now. Stanley may never do that. Never mind how many goals they may or may not score. Chychrun is way ahead if he had never scored a point.

You should go back and look at what some people thought about us possibly drafting Chychrun.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Jacob's stock had dropped and he fell to 16. He ended up playing for a Phoenix Coyotes team who had Oliver Ekman-Larsson and a bunch of AHL'ers essentially. Logan Stanley just like Mark Scheifele needs a lot of time to develop and Winnipeg has absolutely NO reason to rush him to the NHL.

Looking back at the trade itself so far Rubtsov has played 14 AHL games and LaBerge has 2 AHL games. Heck Luke Green has 15 AHL games already and he was a former #1 overall pick in the QMJHL draft.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Winning a job on the Yotes may be like winning the Tallest Midget contest. As I mentioned before, if he had been drafted by the Jets he would probably still be in the AHL.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chychrun is better, no doubt. However, I have my doubts that he would have cracked the Jets' or many other NHL lineup in his first couple of seasons. I actually think that the Yotes rushed him into the NHL and that he would have been better spending another year or two in junior. His trajectory has stalled a bit, it seems.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You should go back and look at what some people thought about us possibly drafting Chychrun.

I recall there being mixed opinions on it, but some wanted us to trade up for him. Some hoped he'd fall to us and some probably didn't want him in the first round at all.
Not really relevant to this point though. Performance in the AHL =|= performance in the NHL.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
It is funny that out of the Winnipeg Jets first 7 1st round selections, Logan Stanley is the first player being discussed as a bust. Heck, he is the only player being discussed negatively in our history. Let the guy develop his skills. Ben Chiarot was 23 when he finally made the roster and that was due to that injury plague that forced the team to trade a 6th rounder for Jay Harrison! Even at 27 Chiarot has continued to develop and fewer and fewer people complain about him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Jacob's stock had dropped and he fell to 16. He ended up playing for a Phoenix Coyotes team who had Oliver Ekman-Larsson and a bunch of AHL'ers essentially. Logan Stanley just like Mark Scheifele needs a lot of time to develop and Winnipeg has absolutely NO reason to rush him to the NHL.

Looking back at the trade itself so far Rubtsov has played 14 AHL games and LaBerge has 2 AHL games. Heck Luke Green has 15 AHL games already and he was a former #1 overall pick in the QMJHL draft.

What does any of that have to do with the discussion you are quoting?

Why would I be in the least way interested in what Rubtsov and Laberge have done? Does anybody think they are who we would have taken if we had kept 22 & 36?

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Chychrun is better, no doubt. However, I have my doubts that he would have cracked the Jets' or many other NHL lineup in his first couple of seasons. I actually think that the Yotes rushed him into the NHL and that he would have been better spending another year or two in junior. His trajectory has stalled a bit, it seems.

Jacob Chychryn most definitely would have been on a similar career path as Logan Stanley. If he had a great 2016-17 in the OHL which probably would have happened he would be in the AHL the following season and right now splitting time between the Moose and Jets due to injuries. He most likely would have been the Sami Niku but there is a possibility that Sami Niku would be the one getting the call up still.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Winning a job on the Yotes may be like winning the Tallest Midget contest. As I mentioned before, if he had been drafted by the Jets he would probably still be in the AHL.

I disagree with that. 100%. Would he have played with the Jets right out of the draft? Not likely. Would he be playing for us now. Very, very likely.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yup. I suspect his injuries have slowed his progress, but who knows?

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I disagree with that. 100%. Would he have played with the Jets right out of the draft? Not likely. Would he be playing for us now. Very, very likely.

You have NO evidence to base this on. He would have played another OHL year based on Cheveldayoff's development plan of prospects. He would have played last year in the AHL and even if he won top defenseman which Niku did win, Niku isn't playing regularly in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad