Prospect Info: Logan Stanley - Part III

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It didn’t use nhl scouts it used nhl central scouting... and that improved it, obviously, but not by much.

And no, forwards are easier to draft, but not making a distinction of a player being a forward or defender does not improve drafting.

And all these PCS numbers are published. I am only looking up my old articles to make sure I’m not using hindsight.

Excelling at a men’s pro league at a young age is always a good sign. We know this and have talked about this before... but I guess it allows us to shift the argument that the Jets drafting, while some of the beat, is highly inefficient, as many misses were noticeable without hindsight.
The NHL scouting curation improved the performance considerably, as I recall. Central scouting has the same kind of scouts as the NHL teams, with lots going back and forth between NHL teams.

An all forward draft is more likely to give you more NHL games over a limited time period than one that includes D and G.

I still have a question about sample size and error estimates. Hard to imagine that there's a big sample size of D-1 Denmark league to NHL data to give Bjorkstrand a big lift without considerable random error estimates. I think the analytics community should go on a confidence interval kick, and start calling out reports that have only point estimates. Even political pollsters routinely post sample sizes and confidence intervals, and a lot of them are hacks.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The NHL scouting curation improved the performance considerably, as I recall. Central scouting has the same kind of scouts as the NHL teams, with lots going back and forth between NHL teams.

An all forward draft is more likely to give you more NHL games over a limited time period than one that includes D and G.

I still have a question about sample size and error estimates. Hard to imagine that there's a big sample size of D-1 Denmark league to NHL data to give Bjorkstrand a big lift without considerable random error estimates. I think the analytics community should go on a confidence interval kick, and start calling out reports that have only point estimates. Even political pollsters routinely post sample sizes and confidence intervals, and a lot of them are hacks.

I've heard central scouting is notorious for primarily scouting through video. Same as ISS.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'll give you ignoring Europe...

But drafting goalies drags you down, not up. They are voodoo. Also, don't forwards tend to be easier to project than D, especially based on numbers? I would think that if a team only drafted forwards that would be an advantage, not a detriment, especially if the metric is NHL games played. D tend to start later than forwards, so fewer games (left censored).

My point was that the method only outperformed NHL scouting teams if they restricted their picks to the next 30 picks ranked by... NHL scouts. So, for each pick, they restricted their pool to 30 forwards, which had already been curated by NHL scouts.

I'm not disputing the fact that more weight should be put on statistical analysis, but rather that I think the Sham Sharron exercise has been oversold rhetorically.

Goalies aren't voodoo. You just have to use more than stats to scout them. Stat watching goalies will make it seem like they are voodoo. There are a lot of things you can pick up by actually watching them that can help when evaluating their performance in relation to their numbers.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Two pages of post draft analysis on Logan?

How well did he play last night?

Can anyone comment on that?

I see he was a plus 1 and had 2 shots on net.

Good for him.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I know scouts for iss and they go to games in their regions all the time .

All scouting services go to games. I said they primarily scout through video. Cant prove it just what I've heard. Given their terrible rankings I believe it.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
I’m still pretty sure that Stanley will never amount to anything more than a third pairing whipping boy but whether he’s ready or not, I’d support him as a Myers replacement right now. At least there is tangible upside there.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I’m still pretty sure that Stanley will never amount to anything more than a third pairing whipping boy but whether he’s ready or not, I’d support him as a Myers replacement right now. At least there is tangible upside there.

Why a Myers replacement?

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
It’s the same stat that says Chiarot is better than Byfuglien, Trouba, or Morrissey than they are over Morrow or Myers. :P
Not nearly as good as the stats that said Burmistrov was good, Dano is a top 6 talent and Petan is elite away from thorburn.

Reactions: Jets4Life

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not nearly as good as the stats that said Burmistrov was good, Dano is a top 6 talent and Petan is elite away from thorburn.

Cool... poor argument ignoring nuance for me to break down. My favourite! :P

1) Well actually, Burmistrov WAS good at the same stat... pre-KHL.

Burmistrov's 5v5 goal differential per hour was +2.35. That was higher than Wheeler, Little, Kane, Jokinen, Setoguchi, Slater, Miettinen, Glass, Wright, Thorburn, etc. Of the 21 forwards to play at least 500 mins when Burmistrov was on the Jets roster he was 7th. His linemates' percentage of goals for vs goals against improved with him by almost the exact same amount as did Corsi. He didn't score very well, but he scored passably good for a middle-six role, and was well admitted to being his poorest feature.

When Burmistrov returned from the KHL, he was a similar player stylistically, but his choices were more extreme. He held on to the puck and went east/west even more; his zone entries went from very strong controlled vs uncontrolled vs failure to poor; his trade offs in risk vs reward flipped. Both his "fancy stats" and his goal metrics were bad.

Burmistrov wasn't an argument of shot metrics vs goal metrics, as he did similarly well in both.

The argument then with Burmistrov was always that Burmistrov was better than Jokinen, deserved his ice time instead, and had very good chemistry with Evander Kane. In hindsight, that looks like it was true... whether by "those stats" or by goals. :)

2) Who the hell said Dano is top6?

Dano did well as a Jet, but well for his role. If you want to use 5v5 goal differential instead of "fancy stats," Dano places 10th out of the Jets 20 forwards to play over the same time.

The argument was always that Dano did relatively well in the time he had:
- His point production (and I'm including the droughts he had in CHI and COL, which makes him look worse than if we just looked at his time in WPG) paces well with Lowry and Copp, and out paces Armia, Tanev, Peluso, Hendricks, Lipon, Lemieux, Thorburn, Stafford, and Howden.
- His impact on linemate's expected goal differentials again was similar to Lowry and Copp, and out performed Armia, Tanev, Peluso, Hendricks, Lipon, Lemieux, Thorburn, Matthias, Stafford, and Howden.​
It wasn't that he was a top-six forward... it was that he was one of the better bottom-line/six forwards (depending on whether it was a top-nine or top-six forward make up)... and one of the stats used was actually scoring points.

The argument was that Dano is probably almost as good as Copp and better / more deserving than those players he outperformed listed above. My argument would be that Dano would optimally be a fourth line player with Copp and Lowry in a top-nine system (although Jets need Roslovic or another centre on top of Scheifele and Little for this ideal situation to happen).

Again, the argument was always more nuanced than those who are adversed to intelligent arguments would suggest.

3) Petan IS good... but who said he was elite?

Well... I mean... Petan was an elite WHL player, but that's a different argument. Also, Petan does sit above Wheeler, Little, Laine, and Ehlers this season in that goal stat Stanley did so well in... ;)

People were once arguing that Petan didn't make good of his chance in the NHL. I just pointed out something about his scoring and what he was doing when he was actually "given a chance."

When I made the article about Petan with and without Thorburn, I noted that half his ice time (and over 2/3rds of his games played) were with what I called "non-scorers lines" (ex: Copp-Thorburn, and Thorburn-Tanev). In those minutes Petan put up results that were WORSE than even we typically see from sub-replacement players like Thorburn. In the minutes in what I'd call as a "scorer role," Petan scored between a 3rd line pace (1.5 P/60) to above top line pace (2.5 p/60)... depending on whether you'd want to call his time with Copp and Armia a scoring line or not...

Now, that 2.5 point per 60 pace would be elite... but I made a very intentional caveat to it:
"The results are probably somewhat unsustainable. This would essentially place Petan as a top 30 forward in the NHL. Not impossible, but also not probable. However, they are still meaningful."

In other words, the argument wasn't for saying how good Petan was/wasn't. The argument was that Petan actually did do as well as you'd hope when he was given a chance.

So, while you tried to "ha!" moment, everything looks good for me in those arguments I made. :)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Found myself listening to 1290 this morning and thought Weibe was pretty bad ass on the Big show. They were interviewing one of my favorites Mitch Peacock who is such a professional. Mitch made an excellent point about the silver lining out of all of these injuries is that Logan Stanley is getting big minutes in all situations including PP and PK. It reminds me a bit of Morrissey’s full season in the AHL where he seemed to get tossed to the wolves as well.

Sometimes trial by fire isn’t the worst thing for a kids development.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I'm no pro scout but I really like what I saw from Stanley today. His skating looks pretty smooth and he plays a physical game. I also liked his confidence. A little unrefined in some areas where he will need some seasoning, but I could definitely see him as an NHLer one day. Probably as a bottom pairing guy, but could work his way into a top 4 role. Again I'm no pro scout but those are my 2 cents of what I saw while I also had 3 of my little nephews jumping on top of me throughout the game.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'm no pro scout but I really like what I saw from Stanley today. His skating looks pretty smooth and he plays a physical game. I also liked his confidence. A little unrefined in some areas where he will need some seasoning, but I could definitely see him as an NHLer one day. Probably as a bottom pairing guy, but could work his way into a top 4 role. Again I'm no pro scout but those are my 2 cents of what I saw while I also had 3 of my little nephews jumping on top of me throughout the game.

Personally I thought Poolman looked a little better than Stanley yesterday. Not that Stanley was poor, but I'm still seeing his issue handling players off the rush. He uses his stick to try to poke at players and that got him into trouble twice, taking two penalties.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Personally I thought Poolman looked a little better than Stanley yesterday. Not that Stanley was poor, but I'm still seeing his issue handling players off the rush. He uses his stick to try to poke at players and that got him into trouble twice, taking two penalties.
I saw one and I didn't think it was a penalty, the other guy clearly took a dive, from my angle. And I think that's something he can fix, although it has been an issue with him for a while now.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

It's because he reaches a lot. He needs to skate more and use that reach to close gaps. Tall players always seem to have the natural reaction of reaching constantly because they can. It's instinct over intelligence. If they just keep their feet moving and then use that reach it makes them very tough to play against but usually they just end up reaching a lot.

Reactions: Huffer

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The fact that Stanley is managing reasonably well as a 20-year old rookie D in the AHL is actually quite encouraging. I thought he might struggle substantially with the increased speed at the AHL level. This season has been a positive marker on his overall development trajectory, I think.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The fact that Stanley is managing reasonably well as a 20-year old rookie D in the AHL is actually quite encouraging. I thought he might struggle substantially with the increased speed at the AHL level. This season has been a positive marker on his overall development trajectory, I think.

I'd say he is about where you expect a player like him to be in the AHL. Not standing out in any good or bad way. Just plotting along. It could be much better but it could be much much worse as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad