Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
He has all the talent in the world but he needs to get bigger and faster. If he can do that he'll be a 2nd line center no doubt. I really hope he works on his speed and sense of urgency.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
He has all the talent in the world but he needs to get bigger and faster. If he can do that he'll be a 2nd line center no doubt. I really hope he works on his speed and sense of urgency.

By bigger I’m pretty sure you mean thicker/wider/stronger. He has the wingspan of a condor. But yes.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It is worth noting that it took Stone and Hoffman some time in the A before they became the players they are today. Brown has had some bad luck with injuries to start his career, and he clearly picked up some bad habits in junior hockey, but man does this kid ooze potential. A 6'6" centre with soft hands and hockey sense? Players like that are unicorns...

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
220px-Old_Bay_Seasoning.jpg

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Exactly. Mantha got two years in the AHL to put his game together and correct his faults, and it made him a much better player for it.

Brown is the same type of player and should be treated similarly.
I would argue mantha had more faults to start with as well

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Obviously injuries play a big part in how he's perceived. For a young kid, constant injuries can really derail your momentum.

But my main Logan Brown theory is this: He's one of those players that adjusts his compete level based on the importance of the game. We've seen him play at an insane amount of levels over the last few years. OHL regular season, OHL playoffs, Memorial Cup, U18, World Juniors (3 games), rookie tournament, NHL preseason, NHL regular season, AHL (1 game).

What I've noticed is that he's looked great in the big games (OHL playoffs, Mem Cup, U18, NHL preseason and regular season) while looking thoroughly disinterested on smaller stages (some OHL regular season games, rookie tournament). Injuries make it tough to gauge his performance at the WJC and the AHL.

So what happens with Brown is that people see him fail to dominate where he should and think he's a lazy player. I don't think he's lazy at all times, he just likes the bigger games. Could have something to do with his dad being an NHLer. He grew up around the league and always had it in his sights. Anything else might not seem worth putting in a full effort.

Just my 2 cents.

Doesn't " "not seem worth putting in an effort" equate to being "lazy"? Not working hard at regular season games could mean not making the playoffs and therefore no "meaningful" games where he puts in an effort. He needs to "compete" more. I am willing to give him more time to develop his compete level, but so far he has been disappointing. And I recognize that injuries have played a part in that.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Doesn't " "not seem worth putting in an effort" equate to being "lazy"? Not working hard at regular season games could mean not making the playoffs and therefore no "meaningful" games where he puts in an effort. He needs to "compete" more. I am willing to give him more time to develop his compete level, but so far he has been disappointing. And I recognize that injuries have played a part in that.

I guess you could call it "situationally lazy". My point is that I think his compete level will be just fine in the NHL. Some guys look better in the NHL than the AHL, I think Brown will be one of them.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Great post, we've seen from the past couple weeks in AHL his remarkable vision, silky smooth hands, vision, passing etc... it's now up to elevating the essential traits needed to succeed in NHL level, consistency being a major one, and he's as good as set.

Not to continuously echo this remark but: we must take our time with him, aside from the injury thing, he and Mantha have ridiculous amount in common. You could even argue Brown is ahead in AHL development/has shown more.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Part of the problem is Brown is too big. Dude can go from the wall to the front of the net in like 2 steps. Hard to look like you're hustling when you're a giant in a phonebooth. It's the visuals that throw people off.

Just like how Spezza skated made people think he didn't hustle.

A great way to indicate who's opinion is entirely worthless.

Reactions: NB613 and Xspyrit

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Part of the problem is Brown is too big. Dude can go from the wall to the front of the net in like 2 steps. Hard to look like you're hustling when you're a giant in a phonebooth. It's the visuals that throw people off.
coasting is coasting no matter your size.. and he coasts at times .. but I feel he does this when hes comfortable with the competition.. because I don't remember any laziness when he was with us at the start of last year.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

I don't agree, when he's hustling vs not it's evident.

I do agree that bigger guys don't look like they are hustling as much as average sized players due to stride length and what not.

But Brown definitely has issues. And I don't even think it's because he doesn't want to compete it's more because he's a cerebral type player who likes to slow the game down. But in today's NHL that's hard to do even for the most skilled players in the league.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It is worth noting that it took Stone and Hoffman some time in the A before they became the players they are today. Brown has had some bad luck with injuries to start his career, and he clearly picked up some bad habits in junior hockey, but man does this kid ooze potential. A 6'6" centre with soft hands and hockey sense? Players like that are unicorns...

Remember when everyone wanted to emulate Detroit and keep players in the AHL for as long possible?

Feels like a lifetime ago.

Reactions: thinkwild
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad