Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Another innacurrate condescending post, man you are so consistently bad at this its truly incredible. Also if you are going to try and call someone out atleast get the correct amount of games for the players you listed.

Palat
Johnson
Joseph
Cirelly
Peca
Gourde
Erne
Killorn
Marchessault

All current NHL players that played significant time in the AHL in Tampas system.
oops. my bad bert. forgot to add vasilevsky's other 12 games.

but I think the point was made quite clearly by both me and BondraTime

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Likely would help if we were allowed to look to draft from Russian from time to time ,but you know....

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
So which one is it? Both points cant be wrong. Its an outlier because it doesnt fit your narritive. Not every player develops at the same rate but they all go down to start thats the point they know when the player is ready but they make them play in the AHL. The other point I made about having a strong system and leadership allows these players to transition into the roles on the NHL team slowly. They all start at the bottom of the lineup and work their way up to the point where they find the ideal role for the player where their skill set is maximized.
we need a base to start with. Not every team has the luxury of keeping their players in the A. Or better yet keeping them there and then letting them then play with datsyuk/lindstrom/Crosby/Malkin/stamkos/kucherov/Hedman.

Batherson is getting his year in the AHL. So is brown. How long do you want them there exactly because a lot on your list didn’t have much longer. I think the key here is this general rule: players good enough will be good. Players not good enough will be bad.

Exceptions to the rule of course are out there.

Reactions: JD1

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
we need a base to start with. Not every team has the luxury of keeping their players in the A. Or better yet keeping them there and then letting them then play with datsyuk/lindstrom/Crosby/Malkin/stamkos/kucherov/Hedman.

Batherson is getting his year in the AHL. So is brown. How long do you want them there exactly because a lot on your list didn’t have much longer. I think the key here is this general rule: players good enough will be good. Players not good enough will be bad.

Well said

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
oops. my bad bert. forgot to add vasilevsky's other 12 games.

but I think the point was made quite clearly by both me and BondraTime

You made a patronizing comment, I dont see that as a point.

Tampa lets players develop at their own personal rate they never force players before they are ready thats my point.

I think its good that the sens are taking their time with both Brown and Batherson, I think Brown likely needs more time in the AHL then Batherson based on his body type and play style.

Forcing a player to play in a role before they are ready isnt about it being a luxury or not its about being to disciplined in the development of a player, filling holes before the player is ready is not the way to properly develop is basically what I am saying. Tampa is strong at this whether they are in the NHL or AHL nothing is handed to the player they have to earn the icetime and prove they deserve it. Its not only about if they are good or not certain teams are better at maximizing the players skill set.

Reactions: Bileur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Every player develops at their own pace, the better teams have the luxury of leaving guys in the minors longer because they are having success at the NHL level with the players they have & sometimes don't want to mess with the chemistry. When a player proves he is NHL ready & the team opens a spot for them than he gets his opportunity to prove himself. That's also when we get to see that prospect & judge for ourselves if he has what it takes to play in the NHL, however, it's also where we all find out where they fit in.

By this I mean, whether a forward is a top six player or turns out to be a bottom six player instead, whether they are a top 4 defencemen or turn out to be a bottom six D or a fringe player instead. I think Florida thought Bjugstad had #1 centre potential in his draft yr, but looks to be more of a complimentary player now. Brown & Bjugstad seem to be similar players size & skill wise, although I am hoping Brown turns out to be the much better player. We'll see.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You made a patronizing comment, I dont see that as a point.

Tampa lets players develop at their own personal rate they never force players before they are ready thats my point.

I think its good that the sens are taking their time with both Brown and Batherson, I think Brown likely needs more time in the AHL then Batherson based on his body type and play style.

Forcing a player to play in a role before they are ready isnt about it being a luxury or not its about being to disciplined in the development of a player, filling holes before the player is ready is not the way to properly develop is basically what I am saying. Tampa is strong at this whether they are in the NHL or AHL nothing is handed to the player they have to earn the icetime and prove they deserve it. Its not only about if they are good or not certain teams are better at maximizing the players skill set.

you're quite a character Bert.

our previous interaction was about Alfie. you put words in my mouth, built and argument around your words and threw an insult my way. based on thoughts and intent that I neither had nor expressed. you insulted me based on the beliefs you said I had when those beliefs were not expressed.

in this instance you made various comments about how TB develops players with the over marinading approach. you're wrong. myself and BondraTime posted the data.

now you want to call me patronizing and change your view? really?

for the record I agree it's a good thing we're taking our time with the kids in the AHL.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
I know it may feel like doom and gloom these days with the Sens sucking and Duche and Stone half way out the door but...

This lad is absolutely killin it these days!!!!

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
He's my favourite Sens prospect and ive been so stoked on him since we drafted him. He's could be an absolute home run of a pick

Imagine a young getzlaf lite or thorton lite on our roster!!!!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Brown won’t be a Center who drives a line like players of Stone, Alfie or Hossa did. But he could be a nice complimentary player - like a Brian Smolinski / Radek Bonk type of center that will be solid with very good wingers.

Without top end talent on his line I can’t see Brown being a game to game player who’ll impact the outcome of NHL hockey games. He’s the type of player that needs talent around him or it’ll be a lot of the fans wanting more.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Brown won’t be a Center who drives a line like players of Stone, Alfie or Hossa did. But he could be a nice complimentary player - like a Brian Smolinski / Radek Bonk type of center that will be solid with very good wingers.

Without top end talent on his line I can’t see Brown being a game to game player who’ll impact the outcome of NHL hockey games. He’s the type of player that needs talent around him or it’ll be a lot of the fans wanting more.
Very, very strange comparison.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Yeah, I wouldn't really compare Brown to Bonk or Smolinski. Those guys were great two-way players known more for their defense than their offense.

I have always thought of Brown as a less talented Spezza. Same issues early in their careers; lack of high end speed and "drive".

Spezza benefited greatly from his time in the AHL and it seems Brown is as well. I don't see #1 C in his future, but I think he is destined for a #2 C role at some point.

Reactions: ThreePosts

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, I wouldn't really compare Brown to Bonk or Smolinski. Those guys were great two-way players known more for their defense than their offense.

I have always thought of Brown as a less talented Spezza. Same issues early in their careers; lack of high end speed and "drive".

Spezza benefited greatly from his time in the AHL and it seems Brown is as well. I don't see #1 C in his future, but I think he is destined for a #2 C role at some point.

Spezza was an elite talent and a line driver - I think maybe they are both pass first players but Brown won’t be a #1 NHL center who’s a 1 point per game player.

Brown is more the #2 Center who won’t match up well with certain lines and will be a PP guy.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He looks like he can be a number 1 but then again some ppl think duchene is a number 2

I think it's premature to even say where brown will land the sky is the limit for him and he just started his pro career

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
He looks like he can be a number 1 but then again some ppl think duchene is a number 2

I think it's premature to even say where brown will land the sky is the limit for him and he just started his pro career

Duchene is a first line center, but he's not a franchise player you can build around like Karlsson and Stone are. Well, some might argue against Stone, but he's close.

People use terms in a weird way in hockey. By 1C a lot of people don't mean 1st line C, they mean franchise C of which there aren't 31 of in the league.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Brown's time in the AHL is the training ground he needs to see if he can make it as a strong NHL centre. He has been "the one" on almost every team he has ever played on.
Coming to the Sens he probably thought he would earn a spot in a relatively short period of time.
The message from Sens development has been sent. There are no guarantees! You earn your spot at both ends of the ice.
The knock on him has been speed and drive. A bit of a floater at times.
Lots of potential but it may never come to fruition unless he is hungry enough to grab the opportunity when it comes up again.
His recent success in Belleville is a good sign! One more kick at the can to see if he has it or he could be riding the buses for a long time!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ottawa is at the bottom of the league in a 31 team league, the Sens drafted Brown with the hope he would be a #1 centre & he has all the tools to become one. It's all up to him & what he puts into becoming an NHL player whether he just coasts or decides to dominate.

Of course, like every other player in a team game he will need certain wingers to compliment his game & help him be successful & Ottawa has a few young guys who should be able to do just that in Batherson & Tkachuk. IMO Ottawa has a very bright future down the middle with a number of centres with potential in Brown, White, Norris, Chlapik & Paul.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Spezza was an elite talent and a line driver - I think maybe they are both pass first players but Brown won’t be a #1 NHL center who’s a 1 point per game player.

Brown is more the #2 Center who won’t match up well with certain lines and will be a PP guy.

I think the closest comparison is Getzlaf. Not saying he'll be that good, but Getz took a couple years to develop and came in blazing. Gotta give the kid a shot at some point in 2019.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Dude could be getting a call up soon, along with liney Batherson in a couple weeks...
Yeah, if we only get picks and very raw prospects in return for Stone and Duchene, we might have to promote both. Assuming we also trade Dzingel, we might have this after the trade deadline:

Tkachuk - White - Boedker?
Paul - Brown - Batherson <- keep the AHL line together
Balcers - Tierney - Ryan <- not sure about the chemistry on this line
Smith - Pageau - Paajarvi <- actually a decent 4th line

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
S E A S O N
I N
T H E
A H L .

We have absolutely nothing to lose. Let him simmer and boil and bake down there. Next year we can take about NHL stint. If you wanna give him a couple game taste, sure, but he needs to focus on consistency above all things.
I agree, but what do you do if you trade Stone, Duchene and Dzingel and get nobody ready back (although I imagine Dorion will bring back some veterans with intangibles as per his usual)? Somebody's got to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad