Player Discussion Logan Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Can anyone shed some light on brown.

I keep hearing how he's a dissapointment, how he won't be a top 6 in the nhl, etc.

Yet this is his first year after junior, in which he completely lit up last year.

I hear his work ethic is not great, but neither were spezza or bonk, yet both of them became top 6 or top 3 forwards.

I get that he's not as skilled as spezza, but he is still very skilled,nonetheless.

Is there something I'm missing? Most teams would be excited about a 19-20 year old that just nearly put 1.5 ppg in junior season and playoffs, and has size.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016

I keep hearing how he's a dissapointment, how he won't be a top 6 in the nhl, etc.

Yet this is his first year after junior, in which he completely lit up last year.

I hear his work ethic is not great, but neither were spezza or bonk, yet both of them became top 6 or top 3 forwards.

I get that he's not as skilled as spezza, but he is still very skilled,nonetheless.

Is there something I'm missing? Most teams would be excited about a 19-20 year old that just nearly put 1.5 ppg in junior season and playoffs, and has size.

Obviously injuries play a big part in how he's perceived. For a young kid, constant injuries can really derail your momentum.

But my main Logan Brown theory is this: He's one of those players that adjusts his compete level based on the importance of the game. We've seen him play at an insane amount of levels over the last few years. OHL regular season, OHL playoffs, Memorial Cup, U18, World Juniors (3 games), rookie tournament, NHL preseason, NHL regular season, AHL (1 game).

What I've noticed is that he's looked great in the big games (OHL playoffs, Mem Cup, U18, NHL preseason and regular season) while looking thoroughly disinterested on smaller stages (some OHL regular season games, rookie tournament). Injuries make it tough to gauge his performance at the WJC and the AHL.

So what happens with Brown is that people see him fail to dominate where he should and think he's a lazy player. I don't think he's lazy at all times, he just likes the bigger games. Could have something to do with his dad being an NHLer. He grew up around the league and always had it in his sights. Anything else might not seem worth putting in a full effort.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: bert and Clayonator

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
He will be with baby Sens this season and next, he is one of those players who need more time to develop their consistancy and maybtake a few seasons. Hopefully riding the bus for next two years will give him the wake up call to raise his game to the next level against tougher competitors in the AHL. Earns his spot or he will be trade bait in the future.

Reactions: bert

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
I have two problems with Logan Brown.
1: He basically lives in an ambulance. He can’t stay healthy. He can have all the potential in the world but if you don’t play that isn’t going to matter.
2: He is a lazy player, takes shortcut. Let’s others do the work for him, he is a skilled player yes but why can’t he go in the corners and get those pucks himself? If only he learned how to use that 6’6” frame of his.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Too weak, slow and injury proned to play at the NHL level right now and it appears he doesnt have the work ethic to fix that. I think thats what people are worried about. He has no issues with size, pedigree or raw talent which i think is what frustrates people because if he had the work ethic and drive to match he could be a heck of a player. I think like a few other posters here if they take their time with him he could become a player. If they give him anything for free he likely never makes the adjustment and busts. I think the success the other young players are having around him may push him, internal competition is great for players that lack drive.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Too weak, slow and injury proned to play at the NHL level right now and it appears he doesnt have the work ethic to fix that. I think thats what people are worried about. He has no issues with size, pedigree or raw talent which i think is what frustrates people because if he had the work ethic and drive to match he could be a heck of a player. I think like a few other posters here if they take their time with him he could become a player. If they give him anything for free he likely never makes the adjustment and busts. I think the success the other young players are having around him may push him, internal competition is great for players that lack drive.
Yep having skill is just one piece of the puzzle ,work ethic to bring the very best out of the latter...Is what he doesnt have ATM ...Hopefully riding the buses and watching guys he knows he can be better than play in the NHL lights a fire under his ass

Reactions: derriko

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This is what they mean when they talk about character. You can have all the skills in the world but if you can't work hard enough you won't make it playing with the best in the world.

A lot of these guys have been able to coast at the junior levels when they are incredibly talented, having to compete hard for a spot may be a new thing.

I hope Brown ends up being a guy who can find that place in his head where he needs to be to be a star in the NHL, first he has to get over these injuries...

Reactions: derriko

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He got off to a good start in Belleville.. Can't wait to see how he does when he comes back. Not sure what's up.. he was being fitted for a brace , so that means a knee ligament I would suspect. Bad luck for him and Chlapik going down when the Sens could have used them. I hope he recovers and it does not hinder him for the rest of the year. I am no where close to writing Brown off for recent injury issues or perceived lack of work ethic. I believe he'll step it up and his skill will shine through. He'll be fine imo.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
He has some major issues with size. 6-6 skilled forwards are practically unheard of in the NHL for a reason. With his injury history it will be a miracle if he carves out a career at this level.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
With his injury history it will be a miracle if he carves out a career at this level.

"Miracle" is a pretty loaded word when you use it like this.

6'6" nhl players are fairly unheard of in general. If you are 6'6", you are in the 99.846th percentile for height. That means less than one quarter of one percent of all people will grow that tall in the general population.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad