TSN: Logan Brown the poster boy for Sens’ patient rebuild

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Josh Ho Sang isn’t going to play in the NHL for the same reasons Colin Kaperknaek won’t play in the NFL. Super league talents, Misunderstood, minorities, distractions, attitude problems, selfish - say what you want but it’s weird owners will trade for a guy like Hoffman but not Ho Sang, or sign Antonio Brown and not Kaperneak.

Forgiveness and acceptance in sports is based on your production level, not talent level or character - character especially has nothing to do with it, it’s just a word used in sports to say ‘coaches pet’

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Josh Ho Sang isn’t going to play in the NHL for the same reasons Colin Kaperknaek won’t play in the NFL. Super league talents, Misunderstood, minorities, distractions, attitude problems, selfish - say what you want but it’s weird owners will trade for a guy like Hoffman but not Ho Sang, or sign Antonio Brown and not Kaperneak.

Forgiveness and acceptance in sports is based on your production level, not talent level or character - character especially has nothing to do with it, it’s just a word used in sports to say ‘coaches pet’
This is incredibly incorrect. Ho-Sang and Kaepernick are not comparable whatsoever.

Ho-Sang creates his own problems, has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with him as a hockey player, and him as a person.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Sending a player to the minors that still needs to work on his game and get more playing time is not starting a war. Its properly developing and elite asset. I dont agree with alot of the decisions the organization has made but this one I am 100 percent behind.

Do you think playing him 10 minutes a game on a horrid team is better than 20 on a great team at this point in a throw away season? I fail to see the argument how it would be better for him in the long run.
Why the false dichotomy?

Why can’t he play 20 minutes on the Sens?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I think that you think there's more happening here than there really is.

This is an agent making a leverage play for his client. That's it.
What leverage do you think the agent has to gain by taking this public?

Last edited:

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I think that you think there's more happening here than there really is.

This is an agent making a leverage play for his client. That's it.
100%. Smart move by his agent, putting a little bit of "pressure" on Ottawa's management. If players start to struggle I could see them calling up Brown pretty quick.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Was Brown poed at being sent down, Yes he was. I bet Lajoie was as well. I bet Rodewald was . I bet Davidsson was. I bet a couple more were. I am sure a couple felt they deserved more time or opportunities to show what they could do. Would their agents feel the same way. Would their agents be defensive about it... probably.
Browns agent came out with the statements about Brown not getting a fair shake to paraphrase. Not Brown himself. Is it a reflection on how Brown feels. Probably but imo others would feel the same way or close to it. The point is Brown did not make the statements publicly. Does he have no reason to have those thoughts. I don't think so. In order to rationalize it you have to look at the whole picture. Brown has been a C in junior and in the AHL. He is a C. He could transition to the wing and the Sens could have made a spot for him easily enough but he has not played there much and it would have to make some sense for him to play as a winger down the lineup. They made one for Chlapik. But in the big picture that's not where they wanted Brown. The team looks at it like its better for him to continue to develop at his position and role as an offensive C in the AHL. That's reasonable. Brown is looking at it more micro than macro. He is looking at it with a "I want to play in the NHL and do not mind breaking in on the wing" perspective and he probably feels he is ahead a 2-3 of the players they kept in the NHL over him from that perspective. In a smaller bubble with little horizon he is right. I agree with Brown or his Agent , that other players are playing on the team that did not perform in training camp, or were previously given lots of rope to grow and prove themselves in the NHL where as he has not had that same chance. In evaluating players .. Brown vs White.. Brown has more skill. Brown can put up bigger numbers. Brown can be more dominant. Is he more versatile? If you had to switch one to the wing , who would that be, knowing he can move up and down the lineup in different roles? Can he win 50+% of the draws? Is he as responsible defensively? Those things come into play when one player makes it and plays down the lineup and the other player doesn't. Its easier for the team to rationalize than it is for the player. The player just has to suck it up.. which I am sure Brown is doing. His agent has to suck it up too which apparently he's not doing.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Ottawa management for a while seemed to hold contempt for the fans and media - funny thing is now that Dorion has gone from the front of the boat yelling at people to get out of the way to being the firm hand on the rutter, he’s gained a ton of capital in the city.

Dorion will feel the pressure from the fans as Martin did with a young Spezza, and Muckler made Martin play Spezza.

Agent just applaying pressure. All good.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He has absolutely no leverage to demand a trade. No one will want him with that attitude. He is being a giant ***** I am sorry but he is acting like a spoiled brat.

Maybe... Probably not alone in the group sent down. His agent is doing the talking not Brown. Is he saying what Brown feels , probably.. but others that are sent down feel the same.. they just need to get back to work. His agent is making it a big deal, not Brown

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

He didn't "take it public".

He said it in an answer to a non-prime-time radio interview question like... after they'd already covered 5 minutes worth of other topics. It wasn't even the main topic of the interview.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I get Brown's frustration tbh. He wasnt given the opportunity to out shine any of our centermen quite honestly. He never got to play with the talented wingers on this team, and got super limited ice time. Period. Worse players (much worse in some cases) are playing in the NHL, and he is not. Its up to the Sens to figure that out imo. I can't help but think this is Dylan Strome all over again.

I think he might be better than Colin White already tbh, and he could shift to the wing much more easily.

Why did we go out and get Anisimov? What was the point? To win games, or to create a logjam at the C position? Both are the wrong reasons imo.

Im not up in arms that Logan is in the AHL tbh. All things considered it might end up being the best thing for him. But if Im Logan Brown, Im also pissed off right now, and I dont mind that hes showing some emotion.

Reactions: Cosmix

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
and?

Nothing wrong with that is there. His agent is the one spouting off about it.

And... I added that Dorion said he was upset when he was sent down. So, we don’t have any comment from Brown yet, just that bit of context. I wasn’t claiming anything one way or another.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
He didn't "take it public".

He said it in an answer to a non-prime-time radio interview question like... after they'd already covered 5 minutes worth of other topics. It wasn't even the main topic of the interview.
Well he didn't call a press conference but making the statement on radio certainly puts it in the public realm.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Well he didn't call a press conference but making the statement on radio certainly puts it in the public realm.
As I said earlier Sensung...Brown has missed 83 games the past 3 years. Him playing an extra half season in the AHL wont hurt him. You're looking to frame this as the Sens mishandling the situation and I just dont think there is much to that view

Reactions: coladin

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ehh... I dunno. Maybe not "bragged" but Dorion has consistently deflected questions about the front office staff in his time as GM by saying things like "quality over quantity" and suggesting that his possibly league-smallest hockey ops group is better than larger ones for a variety of reasons.

It's not as crazy an accusation as it sounds, depending on how you feel about those comments.

Well of course, what’s he supposed to say? On the one hand he can’t slam his boss for being cheap, and on the other hand he wants to support the employees that are there.

Trying to make the best of something isn’t the same as ‘bragging’.

Anyways, moving on...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sometimes you have to be patient with these types of prospects. Not because of any outstanding philosophy but because you have no choice because they aren’t ready anyway. Joe Colborne would be another big skilled center taken in the mid first who took a long time to develop but didn’t really turn into anything.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Eugene himself has bragged about it several times but I wouldn't expect you to remember that nor acknowledge it in any way of course due to the agenda! Need to constantly defend is getting really weird!

I read this post as though you were muttering it to yourself under your breath. It seemed the best way to do it.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Lol the media is ridiculously poor at projecting the real situation the the fans all they have done is support the worst ownership group in the league. What are you talking about?... The reporting is pathetic.

Hi Bert, it seems like a waste that you chose that paragraph as the one to respond to. I don’t really care about your opinions on the media enough to derail the conversation from the obvious topic any further than you’ve already done.

Maybe someone else is interested in discussing it with you.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Was Brown poed at being sent down, Yes he was. I bet Lajoie was as well. I bet Rodewald was . I bet Davidsson was. I bet a couple more were. I am sure a couple felt they deserved more time or opportunities to show what they could do. Would their agents feel the same way. Would their agents be defensive about it... probably.
Browns agent came out with the statements about Brown not getting a fair shake to paraphrase. Not Brown himself. Is it a reflection on how Brown feels. Probably but imo others would feel the same way or close to it. The point is Brown did not make the statements publicly. Does he have no reason to have those thoughts. I don't think so. In order to rationalize it you have to look at the whole picture. Brown has been a C in junior and in the AHL. He is a C. He could transition to the wing and the Sens could have made a spot for him easily enough but he has not played there much and it would have to make some sense for him to play as a winger down the lineup. They made one for Chlapik. But in the big picture that's not where they wanted Brown. The team looks at it like its better for him to continue to develop at his position and role as an offensive C in the AHL. That's reasonable. Brown is looking at it more micro than macro. He is looking at it with a "I want to play in the NHL and do not mind breaking in on the wing" perspective and he probably feels he is ahead a 2-3 of the players they kept in the NHL over him from that perspective. In a smaller bubble with little horizon he is right. I agree with Brown or his Agent , that other players are playing on the team that did not perform in training camp, or were previously given lots of rope to grow and prove themselves in the NHL where as he has not had that same chance. In evaluating players .. Brown vs White.. Brown has more skill. Brown can put up bigger numbers. Brown can be more dominant. Is he more versatile? If you had to switch one to the wing , who would that be, knowing he can move up and down the lineup in different roles? Can he win 50+% of the draws? Is he as responsible defensively? Those things come into play when one player makes it and plays down the lineup and the other player doesn't. Its easier for the team to rationalize than it is for the player. The player just has to suck it up.. which I am sure Brown is doing. His agent has to suck it up too which apparently he's not doing.

Good post SOA, I wonder if the agent went a bit too far in his interview than Brown would have liked him to. I doubt any young players would want this amount of backlash off being upset and being sent down.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Wouldn't maximizing browns career income in a sense mean he's a better, more valuable player, helping the sens? Like, would we rather he's an 8 million dollar first line center or a 2 million dollar third line center...

Very good point. This may potentially lead to even better earnings than possibly rushing him.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Good post SOA, I wonder if the agent went a bit too far in his interview than Brown would have liked him to. I doubt any young players would want this amount of backlash off being upset and being sent down.

I wonder if his agent is the one concerned about Brown's income :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad