TSN: Logan Brown the poster boy for Sens’ patient rebuild

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well of course, what’s he supposed to say? On the one hand he can’t slam his boss for being cheap, and on the other hand he wants to support the employees that are there.
I will refer to my original answer from earlier today:

I was simply refuting the point.

We can argue all day about why a thing happened. All I said is that it did, in fact, happen... And certainly on more than one occasion.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm sure Logan is thrilled to be making 70,000...

I want to say first of all: you are doing one hell of a disservice to the #melynkout crowd by pushing this. Like it or not, Brown simply didn't show enough to be on the roster right now. Making every damned thing a crusade against Melynk is foolish at this point. Rallying to the defense of a prospect that has proven f*** all does nothing to push Eugene out the door. Give it a damned rest or put it in the appropriates threads.

And let's not forget, the coaches still have eyes and ears with they use to evaluate players in practices, in warmups, int he weight room, in the locker room, and in team meetings. The evaluations isn't all about the handful of minutes on the ice during a few meaningless preseason games. Hell, most of the evaluation occurs away from those games.

Logan had just as much opportunity as anyone on the ice to earn a spot. He didn't. Simple as that.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Still no downside. He can force his way out. Has happened plenty of times with numerous players.

The Sens are the ones who lose out should this go that route. Especially stupid because it was completely avoidable.

Give him proper linemates and a fair shake in preseason. Allow him 10 games in the role at the NHL to show what he can do.

If he’s not ready, then it would be obvious, but Brown would feel valued and respected.

This is a lost season anyway. Creating a potential war with the only prospect who could end up as a #1 C is just more foolishness from our incompetent organization.

Why are you acting so hysterically about this?
He was borderline to make the team, could have gone either way and it didn’t go his way.
If this is what causes him to freak out, feel worthless, or ‘go to war’ then it only emphasizes that this was the right decision b/c if that’s the case he’s an immature twit, which I don’t think is the case.
Just a kid pissed he didn’t make the team, team feels it’s best for his development. Happens all the time, to better players than him.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm sure Logan is thrilled to be making 70,000...
Tough shit. I guess he could have done something about it. My God the wringing of hands reeks of some PTSD suffering Sens fans.

He will be fine. He has to Man Up and work his way up to that lineup. Yes, Mr. Super Agent, claw and grind for every morsel because he is always hurt

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I want to say first of all: you are doing one hell of a disservice to the #melynkout crowd by pushing this. Like it or not, Brown simply didn't show enough to be on the roster right now. Making every damned thing a crusade against Melynk is foolish at this point. Rallying to the defense of a prospect that has proven **** all does nothing to push Eugene out the door. Give it a damned rest or put it in the appropriates threads.

And let's not forget, the coaches still have eyes and ears with they use to evaluate players in practices, in warmups, int he weight room, in the locker room, and in team meetings. The evaluations isn't all about the handful of minutes on the ice during a few meaningless preseason games. Hell, most of the evaluation occurs away from those games.

Logan had just as much opportunity as anyone on the ice to earn a spot. He didn't. Simple as that.
Hey Nac, I never mentioned Melnyk or tried to make it about him in any way.

They chose to dick Brown around by playing him with poor linemates and limited minutes until the final preseason game.

The minute they gave him the role he was auditioning for he looked good.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Why are you acting so hysterically about this?
He was borderline to make the team, could have gone either way and it didn’t go his way.
If this is what causes him to freak out, feel worthless, or ‘go to war’ then it only emphasizes that this was the right decision b/c if that’s the case he’s an immature twit, which I don’t think is the case.
Just a kid pissed he didn’t make the team, team feels it’s best for his development. Happens all the time, to better players than him.
So presenting counter argument and suggesting a better process is acting hysterical.

Hmmm, interesting take.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hi Bert, it seems like a waste that you chose that paragraph as the one to respond to. I don’t really care about your opinions on the media enough to derail the conversation from the obvious topic any further than you’ve already done.

Maybe someone else is interested in discussing it with you.
[mod]Ive been discussing Brown the entire time. You throw these comments around like they are fact. Then I answer it and you accuse me of derailing... Unbelievable.

Ill speak to the topic you brought up. If youd like to see an example of the media actually reporting on Melnyk heres an article for you that came out this morning. If only our media would report like this.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/04/nhl-must-step-in-to-stop-shady-senators-owner-eugene-melnyk/

Back to Brown, I think if his agent did this on his own he should fire him. The sens are trying to develop him properly he is too important a prospect to screw up he has to turn out. Letting him play 20 minutes a game in all situations in the AHL wont hurt him. Playing him 10 minutes a game in the NHL on a bad team could.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
You must be getting paid full time for this. Ive been discussing Brown the entire time. You throw these comments around like they are fact. Then I answer it and you accuse me of derailing... Unbelievable.

Ill speak to the topic you brought up. If youd like to see an example of the media actually reporting on Melnyk heres an article for you that came out this morning. If only our media would report like this.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/04/nhl-must-step-in-to-stop-shady-senators-owner-eugene-melnyk/

Back to Brown, I think if his agent did this on his own he should fire him. The sens are trying to develop him properly he is too important a prospect to screw up he has to turn out. Letting him play 20 minutes a game in all situations in the AHL wont hurt him. Playing him 10 minutes a game in the NHL on a bad team could.
Why can't he play 20 min a night on the Sens?

Why not give him a chance to play the role they are grooming him for and show themselves and Brown if he is capable?

If he can't get the job done you send him down with knowledge of exactly what he needs to work on and Brown would have felt like he had a chance.

You still haven't explained why the club couldn't go this route.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
[mod]Ive been discussing Brown the entire time. You throw these comments around like they are fact. Then I answer it and you accuse me of derailing... Unbelievable.

Hi Bert,

I ignored the first part of your post past the first line or so because I don’t care about your opinions of media, what their job should be, etc. I expressed disinterest in discussing it either as it has nothing to do with the point of my post. Respect that please, or carry on your discussion about that subject with someone who cares. I have no shits to give about the owner.

As for Brown I think SOA laid it out well. I can imagine that Brown was upset, we know this for sure, and his agent probably talked about it with the team and Brown. When asked about it I suspect that the agent shared his own opinions about the situation, having his players back. He never says anything about his statements being on behalf of his client, and never says that not being given a fair shake came from Brown. If anything he makes it seem like that’s just what he sees.

Without listening to the interview, the snippets make it seem a whole lot more that it really was, and most of his criticisms were levied at Boucher, and he makes it very clear that he is quite hopeful that things will be better under Smith. He also feels that the organization is saying all of the right things. He just hopes that they will back it up going forward. I suspect that beyond what PD has said to the media, he is probably also referring to the reasonings given privately to Brown upon being sent down.

Much ado about nothing really, either way Brown knows what he has to do to get back up, and likely knows that he’ll be up regardless as soon as an injury or trade occurs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Frank8

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I want to say first of all: you are doing one hell of a disservice to the #melynkout crowd by pushing this. Like it or not, Brown simply didn't show enough to be on the roster right now. Making every damned thing a crusade against Melynk is foolish at this point. Rallying to the defense of a prospect that has proven **** all does nothing to push Eugene out the door. Give it a damned rest or put it in the appropriates threads.

That feels a bit heavy handed. It’s easy to suggest a player didn’t stand out over a couple of games. I could suggest that White, Bath, CT, Pager, Boedker, Ennis, Brown, etc showed less than Logan at camp. The only reason they default to making the team is their contract status.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Why not give him a chance to play the role they are grooming him for and show themselves and Brown if he is capable?

If he can't get the job done you send him down with knowledge of exactly what he needs to work on and Brown would have felt like he had a chance.

One might consider that the team used training camp and preseason to determine exactly what he needs to work on.

If I'm going to question why a player wasn't kept up it sure as heck wouldn't be Brown who simply did not stand out. Where are the tears for Anramov who had a much more impressive camp?

Reactions: h2owned

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
That feels a bit heavy handed. It’s easy to suggest a player didn’t stand out over a couple of games. I could suggest that White, Bath, CT, Pager, Boedker, Ennis, Brown, etc showed less than Logan at camp. The only reason they default to making the team is their contract status.

Contract status plays out all over the NHL. it is a factor for all 31 teams. Who is on a one way. Who is waiver exempt and who isn't. It is a reality of pro sports. I know Melnyk is cheap but managing one ways and waiver exempts is an issue for every team.

It's far worse in baseball if you've followed any of the issues around teams manipulating service times

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

It is, to an extent. But you also have to realize, guys like Pageau have paid their dues, and a guy like Ryan is kinda stuck here. There's really only a couple spots open on each team at the beginning of the season. If a guy plays well enough, he can still be sent down...but the team will start working to move a body to make room for a guy who deserves it. But, you have to blast down that door...and Logan isn't doing that yet. As for Batherson, he has a bit more rope because of both his AHL and NHL performance last year....but it's still a pretty short rope. Kid likely only has a few games to show something or we might see him in Belleville in a few weeks, as well.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
One might consider that the team used training camp and preseason to determine exactly what he needs to work on.

If I'm going to question why a player wasn't kept up it sure as heck wouldn't be Brown who simply did not stand out. Where are the tears for Anramov who had a much more impressive camp?
The team put him in a position to fail.

If you want to find out if he can handle the #1C role, then play him there. The only game they did, he looked good.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Because he is clearly not ready to do that. And frankly nothing else needs to be said on it

They played him in that role vs the Habs and he looked good.

This is a tank season. Why not play him in that role all preseason and then to start the regular season?

Find out exactly what he needs to work on in the job he’s being groomed for.

Playing him limited minutes with poor linemates and throwing him on the wing was a very poor way to assess his readiness.

The most likely outcome for both scenarios is that Brown ends up in the AHL. The difference is that the way the Sens handled it leaves Brown feeling disrespected and like he wasn’t given fair treatment.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Because in hockey you earn the opportunity to play 20 minutes a night. Its not handed to you. Show me another team in the league that gives rookies first line minutes before they have earned it and ill show you a failed organization. Thats how hockey works, thats how its always worked. You want to see a dysfunctional dressing room its one where players dictate their own ice time not the coach. There is and always has been a relationship between veterans and young players, if you think a player is going to succeed by whining to the organization for icetime before he has earned it then youre mistaken. If you think thats how an NHL dressing room works then youre even more mistaken. Being a veteran in the league matters, you have to earn it. Its not a debate thats how it works. You are arguing the sens change the fundamental values in hockey because an unproven rookie is sad he didnt make the team. Far more at stake if they do that then making a soft player upset.

Reactions: angrydad

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

If you want to find out if he can handle the #1C role, then play him there. The only game they did, he looked good.
They put him in a position to prove he is too good to be be kept down the lineup. He failed to do so. A decent game in a more prominent role really doesn't erase that.

Brown wasn't the best prospect to get cut. There wasn't an open spot at center so he needed to be knocking down the door. Instead, he pulled when he should have pushed and the door stayed firmly closed

I'm far more concerned with why Batherson stayed up than why Brown went down.

Hopefully he will embrass the frustration and smash the door down with his play in Belleville.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Sens have never done this in the history of the franchise. Spezza, Havlat, Bonk, Phillips, Hossa, Alfie all started on the 4th line and worked their way up. Hell Phillips was a first overall d man and they played him left wing. Spezza was a WAY better prospect and they sent him to the minors. But now lets change it up because Logan is sad. Catoring to whiners is not how to build a winning culture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad