TSN: Logan Brown the poster boy for Sens’ patient rebuild

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
White did less in the AHL to earn his spot than Brown has. He was fairly ineffective in the 25+ games he was given at the end of his first year in the AHL. I think he had 6 points and was rubber stamped into the NHL the next season after a plain training camp. To this date White hasn't really ever had a training camp any better than what we saw from Brown this year.

Chabot only played 13 games or so in the AHL and was allowed to figure it out in the NHL too.

I understand there is more to player eval than a few training camps, my point is simply that White and Chabot didn't earn their spots at camp, they were given a chance that Brown hasn't yet been given.

That was last year, the year before the rebuild. This year they were established NHLers on long term deals, and the team has started a rebuild.

Guys who could have been given a chance to grow into a spot during the year with a strong surrounding support network, on a team expected to win some games, no longer have that available.

We are expecting to lose games by the dozens, and that’s not the same environment as last year for rookies. This year the kids had to show more than last year in my opinion. That’s not to say that there are more expectations on them to perform, but that if they were going to get caved in game after game, there needed to be a certain confidence and drive to their games. Batherson looked tentative for the most part, and that’s ok given the team this year. He needs more time to start the year on the right foot.

when you can afford to lose every game, you can afford to put every single prospect in the bets place to develop, while adding veteran fodder to the NHL roster. Of course this will fluctuate throughout the year as kids come up and go down.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That was last year, the year before the rebuild. This year they were established NHLers on long term deals, and the team has started a rebuild.

Guys who could have been given a chance to grow into a spot during the year with a strong surrounding support network, on a team expected to win some games, no longer have that available.

We are expecting to lose games by the dozens, and that’s not the same environment as last year for rookies. This year the kids had to show more than last year in my opinion. That’s not to say that there are more expectations on them to perform, but that if they were going to get caved in game after game, there needed to be a certain confidence and drive to their games. Batherson looked tentative for the most part, and that’s ok given the team this year. He needs more time to start the year on the right foot.

when you can afford to lose every game, you can afford to put every single prospect in the bets place to develop, while adding veteran fodder to the NHL roster. Of course this will fluctuate throughout the year as kids come up and go down.

I completely agree - I just think from Brown’s view his ice cream cone looks smaller than White’s and Chabot’s and he is frustrated.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Perhaps however saying random posters on HF forum know best is an even worse argument

I think pretty highly of Bonk

giphy.gif

:laugh:

Reactions: Grummbles

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I completely agree - I just think from Brown’s view his ice cream cone looks smaller than White’s and Chabot’s and he is frustrated.

Well I would say that is fine but time is up on pity party and now is the moment to get to work and be a good teammate in Belleville.

I dont prescribe to thoughts of him being a crybaby and think his agents comments were blown out of proportion. At the same time the idea of a great injustice to Brown is also way overblown.

He has an opportunity to force the teams hand by playing great and being a leader in Belleville. Life isnt easy and if he can take this and turn it in to a positive that will do him well when he has inevitable slumps in the NHL.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Well I would say that is fine but time is up on pity party and now is the moment to get to work and be a good teammate in Belleville.

I dont prescribe to thoughts of him being a crybaby and think his agents comments were blown out of proportion. At the same time the idea of a great injustice to Brown is also way overblown.

He has an opportunity to force the teams hand by playing great and being a leader in Belleville. Life isnt easy and if he can take this and turn it in to a positive that will do him well when he has inevitable slumps in the NHL.

That is a lot of tough love type talk - Abramov didn’t do much with the B-Sens last year and he was a little better in a few games at the pro camp after a strong rookie camp. He has been given a shot.

Brown is probably the player on the B-Sens roster who has demonstrated the most and not been given his chance. You can say he should just go out and score 4 goals a game .. but that didn’t happen for CW, BT, VA, TC, EB, AF, RB, NP etx

The Sens have already given Paul 50+ games in Ottawa.

Last edited:

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Hey Nac, I never mentioned Melnyk or tried to make it about him in any way.

They chose to dick Brown around by playing him with poor linemates and limited minutes until the final preseason game.

The minute they gave him the role he was auditioning for he looked good.

He may have shown the same entitlement as this post so they sent him down. The coach did say something about calling up a player who didn’t complain and just went to work.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
That is a lot of tough love type talk - Abramov didn’t do much with the B-Sens last year and he was a little better in a few games at the pro camp after a strong rookie camp. He has been given a shot.

Brown is probably the player on the B-Sens roster who has demonstrated the most and not been given his chance. You can say he should just go out and score 4 goals a game .. but that didn’t happen for CW, BT, VA, TC, EB, AF, RB, NP etx

The Sens have already given Paul 50+ games in Ottawa.

I wanted Brown on the team out of camp and offensively I do feel like he would succeed but I also see why he hasn't gotten his shot as of yet. It has nothing to do with offensive output, that alone wont get Brown to the NHL. There are wrinkles in his game that he has to iron out. He needs to take on more responsibility in his game, defensively he isn't bad but he needs to do more of the heavy lifting. Even though he is listed as a centre, he probably takes less than 50% of the draws on his line. He needs to find consistency in his puck management especially in the defensive zone, you can't be throwing out cross ice backhand passes in the defensive zone. There's likely other things I'm not seeing.

Guys like Tkachuk, Balcers, White and even Batherson haven't really had the same issues. Brown has shown progress and I believe in Brown more than anyone else on this board, I look forward to him being a full time NHLer but I understand why the organization hasn't given him his shot yet. He has aspects to his game that are relatively basic he has to eliminate. He doesn't need to be a two-way centre, he just has to be responsible.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I hope Brown and his agent get the message: play better!

He should go to Belleville and play faster, more physical, more involved, more competitive. Force your way onto the Senator’s roster.

Reactions: OD99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad