Prospect Info: Logan Brown part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Paul doesn't belong on that list, he isn't a center at the NHL level and is a far worse center at the AHL level.

So really, it's Tierney, Norris, White, Anisimov. Lots of opportunity to bump a guy imo.

I also don't think Chlapik competes for the same role, typically a winger in the NHL.

Anisimov is likely gone after next season, so he is a placeholder.

Next years draft picks are unlikely to be competing for spots unless we draft Byfield.

I don't think Brown would ever find himself competing for the same role as guys like Chaplik and Paul but i do think his opportunity to grow into a top 6 role might be limited by the potential effectiveness of the bottom 6 centers

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Paul doesn't belong on that list, he isn't a center at the NHL level and is a far worse center at the AHL level.

So really, it's Tierney, Norris, White, Anisimov. Lots of opportunity to bump a guy imo.

I also don't think Chlapik competes for the same role, typically a winger in the NHL.

Next years draft picks are unlikely to be competing for spots unless we draft Byfield.

I also think the our coach is all about compete level and that is the red flag hanging over Brown

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I thought Chaplik’s play was reliable and consistent. His peripherals were decent in limited minutes and his compete level is noticeable.

I wouldn’t suggest he is out of contention for the 4C roll.

I thought Mann’s suggestion that Brown/Brann were “not ready” for the NHL was heavy handed but possibly forecasting a reality they have him pegged to start in the AHL if everyone is healthy. I think the org is sticking to players meeting objectives and the injury may have robbed him of that chance. Beyond that I can’t see why Mann would declare Formenton ready and not Brown 5 months ahead of training camp.

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I just have this feeling that Brown is trade bait at the draft. He would be a good sweetener to add with one of our seconds to jump into the bottom of the first round to get someone we like, or add him to the NYI first to move that Islander pick higher in the first round. If we end up with Byfield or Stutzle, Brown gets pushed further down our depth chart at centre. This will be our last chance to get any kind of value for him via a trade...

Reactions: WaitingInVain

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I just have this feeling that Brown is trade bait at the draft. He would be a good sweetener to add with one of our seconds to jump into the bottom of the first round to get someone we like, or add him to the NYI first to move that Islander pick higher in the first round. If we end up with Byfield or Stutzle, Brown gets pushed further down our depth chart at centre. This will be our last chance to get any kind of value for him via a trade...

If Brown plays well he will always be tradable. There is tonnes of room to play Norris, Brown, CT, Chaplik at Center if all the kids are playing well. Arti can sit and White can play wing.

I hope Brown is working out hard all summer again with a major focus on speed/agility/quickness.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Agree completely

And if by a miracle we end up with Byfield AND Stutzle he's pushed down to 4C because of the 4.75MM$ 3C

I would really test the waters to upgrade NYI 1st with him or package him with 2 2nds if I were PD

Reactions: Cosmix

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Agree completely

And if by a miracle we end up with Byfield AND Stutzle he's pushed down to 4C because of the 4.75MM$ 3C

I would really test the waters to upgrade NYI 1st with him or package him with 2 2nds if I were PD

Stutzle's played wing most of the last few years, including in junior. He can play C, and plays like one, but is not a sure thing center in the NHL by any stretch. Byfield is the only surefire C in the top 10, really. Lots of time and room for Brown if he turns into what we think he can. We really only have 1 established core piece in our top 6, and behind it just a bunch of potential, some of which won't be top 6 players. We remain very think at center no matter how you cut it.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Stutzle's played wing most of the last few years, including in junior. He can play C, and plays like one, but is not a sure thing center in the NHL by any stretch. Byfield is the only surefire C in the top 10, really. Lots of time and room for Brown if he turns into what we think he can. We really only have 1 established core piece in our top 6, and behind it just a bunch of potential, some of which won't be top 6 players. We remain very think at center no matter how you cut it.
Byfield Rossi
or
Byfield Lundell then

Brown was selected 11th and is around 35th in NHL points total for his draft year , 6 points behind Max Lajoie
Its getting late

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Brown was selected 11th and is around 35th in NHL points total for his draft year , 6 points behind Max Lajoie
Its getting late

If Detroit thought like this, Mantha would be playing top 6 and scoring 30 goals for another team. Im not saying Brown is our saviour, nor should we not heavily seek our another alternative, but it sure as hell not getting late.

His injury problems are the biggest concerns. If he does nothing next year, then yea, we should move on.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You can always move a center to wing. I'd rather have 'extra' guys on our roster that have that center -level IQ/vision anyways. You can always benefit from another guy on the ice who can take faceoffs, or knows the defensive side of the ice a bit better than a basic winger (especially when a play breaks down).

But yes, this is pretty much a make or break year for Logan coming up. And with all this extra time off, there's no excuses for his body not to be 100% NHL ready at this point in time.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Logan Brown reminds me a lot of Jason Allison back in the day. Big rangy center that dominated at lower levels but took a while before he was an impact NHLer. Washington invested in him for almost 4 years where he dominated in junior and the AHL, before finally cracking the NHL club in his 4th season. But he only had 5 goals and 22 point in 53 games in his 4th year before the Capitals traded him to Boston when were going for it all (got Oates and Tocchet in a big multi-player trade).

Allison went on to be the top forward and #1 center in Boston for many years and averaged a PPG over the rest of his career before it was cut a bit short because of injuries. The Caps regreted that one.

As long as he is in shape, working hard and getting better, we really don't want to trade Brown too early. His upside is still 1C potential, and if it clicks for him with his skills, he really could be the straw that stirs the drink on a top line. And he might be the kind of center that turns some good wingers, into very good wingers. For instance, put a burner (i.e. Formenton) and a worker (i.e Connor Brown) on his wings, and you could have a heckuva line while savings lots of skill for two other solid scoring.

Reactions: Johnny Hanson

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would rather he turn into a bust in Ottawa than trade him for a pick upgrade. Most people here believe we should be targeting high ceiling guys due to the number of picks we have, and Brown is exactly that. It's too early to start over on a new prospect.
Exactly it makes no sense to move him now, he has steadily improved every season and was always going to be a long term project.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You can always move a center to wing. I'd rather have 'extra' guys on our roster that have that center -level IQ/vision anyways. You can always benefit from another guy on the ice who can take faceoffs, or knows the defensive side of the ice a bit better than a basic winger (especially when a play breaks down).

But yes, this is pretty much a make or break year for Logan coming up. And with all this extra time off, there's no excuses for his body not to be 100% NHL ready at this point in time.

Well one excuse is the lack of access to training equipment

I've been wondering about that. These guys have been going to high end gyms for years and it's likely most don't have the equipment at home to manage their summer workouts. You can improvize to only a certain degree.

I think a lot of guys will be impacted by this

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I've been wondering about that. These guys have been going to high end gyms for years and it's likely most don't have the equipment at home to manage their summer workouts. You can improvize to only a certain degree.

I mean, you can buy a lot of the equipment to make do, particularly for the high end draft picks with 90k signing bonuses but the tougher switch imo is going from being in a gym with a personal trainer to going it alone more so than the equipment.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

His dad as also a pro hockey player. I find a lot of the pros do have a home gym of some sort to stay in shape. Not to mention what facilities he might have at the family compound, as well. Iirc, they are good friends with the Chychrun family. You'd have to think they have some decent equipment available.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
His dad as also a pro hockey player. I find a lot of the pros do have a home gym of some sort to stay in shape. Not to mention what facilities he might have at the family compound, as well. Iirc, they are good friends with the Chychrun family. You'd have to think they have some decent equipment available.

I find it funny to see NHL pros shooting in their driveways like neighbourhood kids. I saw Brady, White, and Norris’ setup. They have decent gear but the lack of a trainer will affect some. TSN Aired the Tkathuck segment and Matthew said he was working out more than Brady claiming he was anticipating a playoff series etc.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I mean, you can buy a lot of the equipment to make do, particularly for the high end draft picks with 90k signing bonuses but the tougher switch imo is going from being in a gym with a personal trainer to going it alone more so than the equipment.

It would be an excuse.. You can stay in phenomenal shape with very little room or equipment. All of them can afford a bench and some dumbbells if it comes to that... Sure its nicer with the leg press and the Smith machine but.. you can get by quite well without them

They all have access to strength coaches and trainers.. where there is a will there is a way for that kind of coaching.

Reactions: Alex1234

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
It would be an excuse.. You can stay in phenomenal shape with very little room or equipment. All of them can afford a bench and some dumbbells if it comes to that... Sure its nicer with the leg press and the Smith machine but.. you can get by quite well without them

Leg press and smith machines are for people who don't know what they're doing. A rack and a barbell set are all they need to stay strong. Aerobic conditioning can be done with a multitude of options that may or may not require equipment.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Logan Brown reminds me a lot of Jason Allison back in the day. Big rangy center that dominated at lower levels but took a while before he was an impact NHLer. Washington invested in him for almost 4 years where he dominated in junior and the AHL, before finally cracking the NHL club in his 4th season. But he only had 5 goals and 22 point in 53 games in his 4th year before the Capitals traded him to Boston when were going for it all (got Oates and Tocchet in a big multi-player trade).

Allison went on to be the top forward and #1 center in Boston for many years and averaged a PPG over the rest of his career before it was cut a bit short because of injuries. The Caps regreted that one.

As long as he is in shape, working hard and getting better, we really don't want to trade Brown too early. His upside is still 1C potential, and if it clicks for him with his skills, he really could be the straw that stirs the drink on a top line. And he might be the kind of center that turns some good wingers, into very good wingers. For instance, put a burner (i.e. Formenton) and a worker (i.e Connor Brown) on his wings, and you could have a heckuva line while savings lots of skill for two other solid scoring.
Jason Allison played in and era of clutch and grab; he eventually got pushed out of the game because he couldn't skate. Brown is a better skater but Allison had a much higher compete level. Not sure they are very comparable.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Interesting article on the Sens on nhl.com

NHL.com: Chabot sees bright future for Senators.
Chabot sees bright future for Senators

If I am Logan Brown, I'd be pissed off that my name was not mentioned amongst the top Sens prospects ... and it should be a big motivator for him

Last edited:

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Jason Allison played in and era of clutch and grab; he eventually got pushed out of the game because he couldn't skate. Brown is a better skater but Allison had a much higher compete level. Not sure they are very comparable.

Yeah, Brown is a slightly better skater, but still a bit of a lumbering fellow. The comparison still stands, as Brown struggled skating wise against NHL competition initially. The point is not that they are clones, but the same patience needs to be applied to Brown being an impact player given his size and style. I would argue Byfield might also be a few years away, even though his skating is solid overall - still needs work.

And Allison retired because of a major injury to his hand and some personal issues at the time. Before the injury in his last year, he had 60 points in 66 games. He was still close to elite status at that point with that production and the 2nd best forward on the Leads behind Sundin. He was actually invited back for a tryout a few years later once that was all cleared up, but he was 34 at the time and part of that was due to his skating so many years out of the game.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Logan put the work in last summer and was over PPG in the A until he got hurt. I'd hold onto him for atleast another year, big guys take a bit longer to develop. Let him fill out and get him used to his size before we even think about trading him

Reactions: NB613

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Yeah, Brown is a slightly better skater, but still a bit of a lumbering fellow. The comparison still stands, as Brown struggled skating wise against NHL competition initially. The point is not that they are clones, but the same patience needs to be applied to Brown being an impact player given his size and style. I would argue Byfield might also be a few years away, even though his skating is solid overall - still needs work.

And Allison retired because of a major injury to his hand and some personal issues at the time. Before the injury in his last year, he had 60 points in 66 games. He was still close to elite status at that point with that production and the 2nd best forward on the Leads behind Sundin. He was actually invited back for a tryout a few years later once that was all cleared up, but he was 34 at the time and part of that was due to his skating so many years out of the game.

Byfields skating is already well above average, and while Logan is a better skater than most big men, Byfield is a clear tier above as a skater. But they both suffer from having a big mans long stride that is good masking their speed, which doesnt help their perceived "motor".

Hes pretty raw in lots of areas, but his skating wont hold him back at all if he makes the jump next year (which I don't think he should unless he has a massive summer in development).

His stride and edge work have a lot of room to grow from a technical standpoint, that's true I suppose. But from a pure horse power and torque standpoint, aka speed and acceleration, hes already a muscle car - and hes probably going to be approaching super car status by the time hes a man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex1234

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Byfields skating is already well above average, and while Logan is a better skater than most big men, Byfield is a clear tier above as a skater. But they both suffer from having a big mans long stride that is good masking their speed, which doesnt help their perceived "motor".

Hes pretty raw in lots of areas, but his skating wont hold him back at all if he makes the jump next year (which I don't think he should unless he has a massive summer in development).

His stride and edge work have a lot of room to grow from a technical standpoint, that's true I suppose. But from a pure horse power and torque standpoint, aka speed and acceleration, hes already a muscle car - and hes probably going to be approaching super car status by the time hes a man.

Yeah, I just mean at NHL standards, Byfield will need to be a better skater to make an impact and get aclimatized to it. His skating will ultimately be a strength at the NHL. But keep in mind Malkin took two years before playing in the NHL, and even though Thornton played in the NHL, he was a depth player for the first two years as well. I see no reason a team wouldn't let Byfield grow into his body and advance his speed and strength before legitimately expecting him to make an NHL impact, especially as an August birthday.

Reactions: NB613
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad