Prospect Info: Logan Brown part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Brown looks too good for the rookie tourney.

I want to see him keep the pedal to the medal for the whole tourney.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
First time i like is game tonight. On the other hand Batherson was bad and Abramov it s a player

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Fingers crossed for this kid.

If we hit a boom on our biggest boom/bust prospect.....oh man! Trying to temper my excitement because that Winnipeg team was woefully underqualified for this tourney...but damn!

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Looks like his acceleration greatly improved, and his separation speed too.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
He’s going to be a Calder threat... was by far the best player on the ice... dudes going to walk the walk after talking his offseason up

Star upside

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He was easily the most impressive player on the ice last night, although Abramov had a heck of a game as well.

But we saw Logan silence a lot of critics last night, even if it was a meaningless game. He was a commanding presence all over the ice, and his pace was at a high level the entire game. He seems to have figured it all out.

Hes looking more poised and confident with his new found man strength, and its very exciting to see him so determined to steal a spot at center out of training camp.

Reactions: Bileur

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
No injuries.

Brown was physically looking to impose himself as well. He was leaning on guys and getting in to battles in a bad mood.

Our top guys should shine and they did last night..hard to pick holes in that game

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO the organization drafted Logan Brown to be the future #1 centre for their team & he certainly looked like he has that potential last night. However, placing Formenton on his LW helped him tremendously & makes up for his own skating issues which last night anyway looks to be much improved. Formenton also plays with an edge which is something that Brown also needs to help his game, he needs complimentary players that bring a skillset he lacks. Also having the imposing Batherson on his RW who can score from anywhere makes for a very formidable line & if they start the yr in Belleville which is what I assume, I hope they lead the league in scoring & lead the team to a Calder Cup.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
IMO the organization drafted Logan Brown to be the future #1 centre for their team & he certainly looked like he has that potential last night. However, placing Formenton on his LW helped him tremendously & makes up for his own skating issues which last night anyway looks to be much improved. Formenton also plays with an edge which is something that Brown also needs to help his game, he needs complimentary players that bring a skillset he lacks. Also having the imposing Batherson on his RW who can score from anywhere makes for a very formidable line & if they start the yr in Belleville which is what I assume, I hope they lead the league in scoring & lead the team to a Calder Cup.

Imo both of these guys are quite possibly the best offensive players in the entire organization right now, and its going to be nearly impossible for DJ to send them down. Our top 6 is just too weak to ignore them - if they are in fact ready to go. Theres plenty of bottom 6 guys that can be scratched if need be.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Imo both of these guys are quite possibly the best offensive players in the entire organization right now, and its going to be nearly impossible for DJ to send them down. Our top 6 is just too weak to ignore them - if they are in fact ready to go. Theres plenty of bottom 6 guys that can be scratched if need be.
While I would agree would you in a normal yr, I don't think this is a normal yr in that I think that management may want to tank this yr to be in a position to get a better draft selection. I also think this could be a yr in which the organization would like to see Belleville go on a long playoff run & hopefully win a Calder Cup. I guess it comes down to whether you think it's more important for the development of some of these prospects to go on a long playoff run in Belleville to win a cup or play meaningless games in Ottawa on a bottom dwelling team for the NHL experience or improve Ottawa's team slightly. Did the stinking Leafs purposely tank to be in the best position possible to draft Mathews?

This could also be a yr in which they want to showcase their UFAs to increase their value (Ennis, Boedker, Hainsey, Boro, Anderson) as well as some of their older AHL players who are not in their future plans to give them some exposure & increase their value. They could get scratched occasionally because they do suck & we have better players in waiting, but the bigger picture may be more important. All that to say we could see lots of players coming & going but don't result in wins for the sake of acquiring a lottery pick. Of course, fans won't like this but I don't think it's a bad draft strategy in a yr where they could suck anyway. I think Brown is promoted after the trade deadline & returned to Belleville for the playoffs after the Ottawa season is over.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
While I would agree would you in a normal yr, I don't think this is a normal yr in that I think that management may want to tank this yr to be in a position to get a better draft selection. I also think this could be a yr in which the organization would like to see Belleville go on a long playoff run & hopefully win a Calder Cup. I guess it comes down to whether you think it's more important for the development of some of these prospects to go on a long playoff run in Belleville to win a cup or play meaningless games in Ottawa on a bottom dwelling team for the NHL experience or improve Ottawa's team slightly. Did the stinking Leafs purposely tank to be in the best position possible to draft Mathews?

This could also be a yr in which they want to showcase their UFAs to increase their value (Ennis, Boedker, Hainsey, Boro, Anderson) as well as some of their older AHL players who are not in their future plans to give them some exposure & increase their value. They could get scratched occasionally because they do suck & we have better players in waiting, but the bigger picture may be more important. All that to say we could see lots of players coming & going but don't result in wins for the sake of acquiring a lottery pick. Of course, fans won't like this but I don't think it's a bad draft strategy in a yr where they could suck anyway. I think Brown is promoted after the trade deadline & returned to Belleville for the playoffs after the Ottawa season is over.
I agree that Brown isn’t on the opening night roster. The centre position is crowded and he is a guy that’s been known to be streaky and inconsistent. I think he’s a guy that management takes their time with and will want to see him dominate more in the minors.

That being said I’m excited to see how he looks in preseason. He could force managements hand.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Everything you said here makes perfect sense to be honest.

But imo I dont think the team is that worried about the tank, it's pretty much going to happen regardless of whether it's the kids or the vets in the lineup.

And it would be a really nice change of tune to see a coaching staff that truly did embrace the youth movement, and didnt pay attention to contracts. DJ seems like that kind of guy to me tbh.

And I just posted this elsewhere, but I wouldn't be worried about Bellville to be honest. Even if it was worst case for them and Brown, Batherson, Formenton and Brannstrom all make the big club, they could potentially have all of Jaros, Balcers, Abramov, Lajoie, Paul, Chlapik, Norris, and Davidsson all playing huge roles for them and getting big minutes and developing down there.

Which is a great thing itself, because we also dont want Brown and Batherson eating up all the minutes in the AHL if they are already good to go . That would hurt all of the guys I mentioned previously in their own development.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What if Brown outplays Bath in camp? Or White ?

I agree that Brown isn’t on the opening night roster. The centre position is crowded and he is a guy that’s been known to be streaky and inconsistent. I think he’s a guy that management takes their time with and will want to see him dominate more in the minors.

That being said I’m excited to see how he looks in preseason. He could force managements hand.

Last edited:

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Yes - you covered both sides of that coin. More than anything I was suggesting that Brown may emerge as our top offensive C and prospect.
That would be awesome. I’m really high on him as well as he has unreal vision.

I’ll elaborate as to why if I was forced to place a bet right now I’d say he’d start in the AHL:
-we have 4 centres. I think they’ll want to give the centres a shot right away to see how they do as oppose to move one to the wing (especially Amnisimov)
-Brown is a guy who’s biggest knock has been his consistency. I could see management wanting to see 20 solid games out of him in the AHL before calling him up.
-sending him down to the AHL is the safe play. It gives him time to develop playing top minutes and Ottawa has shown that they are ok with taking their time with players. That could change under DJ.

My opinion could change after preseason as I haven’t watched Brown play since last preseason. It sounds like he had a solid off season which is great. I do agree that he could very well be our best prospect and he could also be our best centre right now.

Reactions: Sweatred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad