Friedman: Logan Brown likely available

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
"No player" Again disagree with your take. He has played 81 AHL games and if you read my post above I suggested he'll be there for another 10-20 games tops. Bold to assume not only he, but every well-pedigreed prospect is a prima donna who would not accept a playing about 100 games in the AHL.

The Senators have a track record of letting players develop in the AHL for more than a season and a half and it's worked out pretty well in the past.

This is not a crisis that has to be resolved today and your implication otherwise is unfounded.

There are players you see presented in trades on this board as more of a thought exercise. No real smoke around the proposals or assumptions. Just fans creating an format for discussion.

But not so with Logan Brown. There is ample non HF Board people discussing this guy. That’s real smoke. Doesn’t mean he’s a prima Donna but it does appear this player is available and he is being discussed. Maybe it’s not a crisis. It usually isn’t. But it’s not kosher either. With player or team. Not with this much noise about his availability.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
There are players you see presented in trades on this board as more of a thought exercise. No real smoke around the proposals or assumptions. Just fans creating an format for discussion.

But not so with Logan Brown. There is ample non HF Board people discussing this guy. That’s real smoke. Doesn’t mean he’s a prima Donna but it does appear this player is available and he is being discussed. Maybe it’s not a crisis. It usually isn’t. But it’s not kosher either. With player or team. Not with this much noise about his availability.

There's still a difference between an agent advocating for his client and a presumption that Brown won't report to the AHL.

So sure, if by saying he'll refuse to report to AHL you actually mean that there's smoke,then I agree to that. As I said in my first post smoke would be created by Brown's impatience, not his objective value or development curve.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Hasn't he been "available" for over a year now? His agent went public with their frustrations after Brown was sent down last season. His agent believed Brown was better than some of the guys Ottawa was keeping at the center position. I don't think his agent has done him any favors here.

Going the "Allan Walsh" route rarely ends well for the player.

He fired that agent for requesting a trade on his behalf if I remember correctly.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

This much noise? I haven't seen a single article about how Logan brown is available. Maybe a little line somewhere in an opinion piece of two but that's it... No major sports channels have mentioned a single thing about brown being available. I've had tsn and Sportsnet on all day.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not that I think he would come to the Leafs, but I can see them having some level of interest for the right price.

I would say the late 2nd, similar to Lias Andersson, is probably fair if someone really likes him. Andersson is the same age as Brown right now too. However, I personally would not pay that without knowing what else I could get at the 2nd round pick.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Not that I think he would come to the Leafs, but I can see them having some level of interest for the right price.

I would say the late 2nd, similar to Lias Andersson, is probably fair if someone really likes him. Andersson is the same age as Brown right now too. However, I personally would not pay that without knowing what else I could get at the 2nd round pick.

Difference between the two is that Andersson played himself out of the NHL and has shown little offense at the pro level, while Brown hasn't gotten much opportunity but has produced very well at the AHL level.

Situations are comparable, but the players couldn't be more different. 6'6 center with high-end vision, playmaking and talent but effort and injury concerns versus a 5'11 two-way player lacking high-end skill.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

DeAngelo also returned a 2nd a couple of years after being taken in the mid-first.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Difference between the two is that Andersson played himself out of the NHL and has shown little offense at the pro level, while Brown hasn't gotten much opportunity but has produced very well at the AHL level.

Situations are comparable, but the players couldn't be more different. 6'6 center with high-end vision, playmaking and talent but effort and injury concerns versus a 5'11 two-way player lacking high-end skill.
I prefer Brown and would like to add him to my team. So I’m not insulting him when I say that his failure “get much opportunity” on a team that has the 2nd fewest wins in the league the last two seasons, the second most blowouts, and a bottom 10 combined offense and a bottom 10 combined power play is still concerning.

To some extent players have to make their opportunities. From an outside perspective, Ottawa should have been a team in which a young forward who’s good on the power play could make his opportunity.

Please don’t take this as an insult. I’m a Coyotes fan. We’re a bad team, too. And honestly, I’d trade our team for your team in a heartbeat. So I’m not condescending.

I’m just saying that I could see outside GMs not finding the reasons for Browns lack of success to be quite as compelling as Sens fans might. That’s all.

:)

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Senator's aren't going to get a good draft pick return... Brown's progression has been average for someone who was projected with enormous upside. Senators will probably pawn him sometime this year for another prospect that needs a change of scenery. I would like the Ducks to roll the dice for him since we need any forwards we can get... Guhle would have been a good swap but he's injured for months...

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Ottawa fans - why hasn't Brown taken the next step? Skating? Too soft? Something else?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Brown is a guy who has scored 71 points in his first 80 AHL games and is a 6'7 playmaking wizard. Highly doubt Ottawa doesnt give him another shot but if he gets moved before then I think it'll be a bit higher than what people expect. Won't be a pick but player swap or in package for good player.

Ottawa fans - why hasn't Brown taken the next step? Skating? Too soft? Something else?

A bunch of things. Timing, pandemic, and simply just victim of a deep prospect pool.

The guys who replaced him and took forward positions ahead of him are reigning AHL ROY Norris and AHL MVP candidate Batherson.

Oh and that Stutzle guy. That's 3 rookies projected to be in top 6 as it is. He ended up becoming on outside looking in.

But injuries and not enough tenacity(especially in DJ Smith's system) were the primary factors before this year.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Expecting the sens to completely waste another asset. Imagine moving on from Brown with giving him zero chances to play in the top 6 with the worst group of centermen in hockey. Never seen a team burn assets like this version of the Ottawa Senators. Pierre Dorion has 0 playersin the starting lineup on opening night from the Stone, Duchene, Hoffman, Zibanejad, Dzingle and Brassard trades. If I was another team i would be calling him off the hook, he is the worst value transaction GM in hockey and its not remotely close. I mean he luckily wins the San Jose deal because a fluke of bad injuries and players with off seasons and he still gives them an asset back for free so he can bring in UFA's that have no future with the team.

As a sens fan we need a break, we need a new owner that will clear house with management and get someone competent running the team. It wont matter if Melnyk spends or not Dorion is incapble of running an NHL team at a championship level caliber.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I prefer Brown and would like to add him to my team. So I’m not insulting him when I say that his failure “get much opportunity” on a team that has the 2nd fewest wins in the league the last two seasons, the second most blowouts, and a bottom 10 combined offense and a bottom 10 combined power play is still concerning.

To some extent players have to make their opportunities. From an outside perspective, Ottawa should have been a team in which a young forward who’s good on the power play could make his opportunity.

Please don’t take this as an insult. I’m a Coyotes fan. We’re a bad team, too. And honestly, I’d trade our team for your team in a heartbeat. So I’m not condescending.

I’m just saying that I could see outside GMs not finding the reasons for Browns lack of success to be quite as compelling as Sens fans might. That’s all.

:)

He didn't play all that well in his 23 games last year and ended up getting sent down, but getting sent down this year has more to do with Dorion's inability to count than his play.

Dorion acquired 5 centers on one-way contracts - Tierney, Stepan, Anisimov, White and Paquette. Norris appears to have made the team over Brown, but I don't think that's much of a red flag, as Norris is looking really good and torched the AHL last year as a rookie. Looks like a top 2 center in his own right.

On a team with deeper pockets maybe Anisimov or Paquette gets sent down to give Brown an opportunity, but this team is owned by Eugene Melnyk and there's no way in hell he's going to pay someone 1-way money to play in the AHL.

I expect Ottawa's loss will be some other team's gain with Brown. If he gets an opportunity to utilize his high-end vision and passing ability playing beside good players, he could develop into a Johansen-type center in time. He could easily flame out and go the route of other talented big men with effort concerns like Grigorenko and Colborne, but he's worth taking a gamble on.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

He's still sluggish. Good speed when he gets going, but like most huge players he's not as quick as you'd like him to be. He also doesn't move his feet enough, which is probably the bigger problem.

He doesn't throw his body around a lot but I wouldn't call him soft. His issue with physicality has more to do with his injury issues.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
He's still sluggish. Good speed when he gets going, but like most huge players he's not as quick as you'd like him to be. He also doesn't move his feet enough, which is probably the bigger problem.

He doesn't throw his body around a lot but I wouldn't call him soft. His issue with physicality has more to do with his injury issues.

For the second, or whatever depreciated return you'd get for him, why not just keep him, and turn him into more of a 3C? I've seen people say, top six or bust... will it really be impossible to turn him into a more defensive guy, who can also pitch in some, and on the PP? If you could get him to throw the body around more.. and even make the first few steps acceptable...

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah we have seen Dorion complete this type of excecution so many times. I am sure it will happen again....

Most of the young players Dorion has traded haven't amounted to much. I'd love for Brown to make something of himself, but so far he really hasn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad