Friedman: Logan Brown likely available

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
I wouldn't move him. He has a lot of tools and really solid offensive instincts. Yes, he needs to improve everything except shooting, passing, vision, and puck handling, but he has those four attributes in excess. What he needs to do is play a full season without missing significant time to injury. Since he was picked in 2016, he's pretty much missed 35% of the games he should have played. That's a lot of development time missed over 4 years. He's been improving his offensive output and gaining confidence with the puck at the AHL level. One more year down there where he's finally healthy and is THE guy on offence will be huge for him. I have him cracking the roster trade deadline 2022 (should this season go well with the....situation everyone is experiencing and everything return mostly to normal next season). Giving up on him now would be a big waste.

Battled injuries and played limited minutes in the NHL. At his size, with that vision and willingness to carry the puck, the team would be foolish to move him for a pick or reclamation project. He is the project we should be working on.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I mean our top-6 is

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-Stepan-Dadonov

It's not THAT bad anymore....... Is it?

Yes? It's pretty terrible? One kid who has never played an NHL game before, one kid who's played 3 and never recorded a point, and one kid entering his D+5 season with 43 career games and 19 points?

That's really bad. Especially down the middle where it is really awful, if it weren't for Toews in Chicago not playing, that's easily the worst Top 6 Center duo in the NHL.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Taxi squad players have to pass through waivers

False. It's the same as going to the AHL... if they are waiver exempt, they don't pass through waivers. He needs one more year, before he has to be waived.

-------------------------------

I really haven't paid much attention to him, but is it not possible to use him as a #3C? Bit dude like that, that seems to have a 200ft game, and some physicality? I'm only going by what I read on Dobber Prospects etc...

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Not saying it won't necessarily happen, but no way am I accepting a 3rd for Brown, or even a 2nd (especially if its not from a bottom feeder).

Just not worth it. I'd rather roll the dice on him. If he can get the simpler parts of the game to an acceptable level, he'll be able to step in immediately and make an impact offensively.

Brown is obviously available, but I do think the team believes in him, they've said as recently as like 2 weeks ago that he's THE most talented forward in the organization... Hyperbole? Probably, but them saying it obviously shows that they think relatively highly of him. Personally, I would be disappointed unless he was traded for a young player in a similar situation (or included as a secondary or tertiary piece for a more established piece)

Brown for Kylington

Kylington was just on waivers lol.

Reactions: SensFactor

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Not saying it won't necessarily happen, but no way am I accepting a 3rd for Brown, or even a 2nd (especially if its not from a bottom feeder).

Just not worth it. I'd rather roll the dice on him. If he can get the simpler parts of the game to an acceptable level, he'll be able to step in immediately and make an impact offensively.

Brown is obviously available, but I do think the team believes in him, they've said as recently as like 2 weeks ago that he's THE most talented forward in the organization... Hyperbole? Probably, but them saying it obviously shows that they think relatively highly of him. Personally, I would be disappointed unless he was traded for a young player in a similar situation (or included as a secondary or tertiary piece for a more established piece)

Kylington was just on waivers lol.
How about Arizona's 2nd? With maybe a C level prospect, too? One of Capobianco, Crotty, Dineen, or Westerlund?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
How about Arizona's 2nd? With maybe a C level prospect, too? One of Capobianco, Crotty, Dineen, or Westerlund?

I feel like if the Yotes were interested that the Stepan trade would have involved Brown.

After signing Brassard and Gauthier, while already having Schmaltz, Hayton, Dvorak, is there really any room for Brown?

Reactions: SpaceCoyote

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I wouldn't move him. He has a lot of tools and really solid offensive instincts. Yes, he needs to improve everything except shooting, passing, vision, and puck handling, but he has those four attributes in excess. What he needs to do is play a full season without missing significant time to injury. Since he was picked in 2016, he's pretty much missed 35% of the games he should have played. That's a lot of development time missed over 4 years. He's been improving his offensive output and gaining confidence with the puck at the AHL level. One more year down there where he's finally healthy and is THE guy on offence will be huge for him. I have him cracking the roster trade deadline 2022 (should this season go well with the....situation everyone is experiencing and everything return mostly to normal next season). Giving up on him now would be a big waste.

Battled injuries and played limited minutes in the NHL. At his size, with that vision and willingness to carry the puck, the team would be foolish to move him for a pick or reclamation project. He is the project we should be working on.

Everyone about to make a crap offer should watch this video first. Kid has high-end vision, playmaking ability and talent in a 6'6 frame.

He's put up good numbers at every level, despite dealing with injuries his entire career. Over a PPG in the AHL this past year.

Selling low on Brown before even giving him a chance is exactly what should be expected of the GM that traded Zibanejad away before he was fully developed for Brassard of all people, but really hope not.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I feel like if the Yotes were interested that the Stepan trade would have involved Brown.

After signing Brassard and Gauthier, while already having Schmaltz, Hayton, Dvorak, is there really any room for Brown?
Gauthier was already waived and is on a two-way deal. Brassard has played LW recently, and Schmaltz has been deployed primarily at RW. Hayton? Who knows? The Coyotes could absolutely use another LW/C.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Wouldnt tempt me one bit but I like a lot of what I've seen from Brown. I could see Dorion & Co. liking Crotty for a variety of semi-superficial reasons at the very least... but the biggest issue in my view would be that it's still difficult to predict where all but ~8-10 teams will finish with any degree of precision.

It's a pretty solid proposal, but from my perspective its a pass. Given our depth, I'd rather take a big swing over 2 medium ones. All of this should also be underwritten by the fact that I think we're still going to give Brown a chance to show he has what it takes. This may just be one last kick in the ass, though - either into gear or out the door.

Everyone about to make a crap offer should watch this video first. Kid has high-end vision, playmaking ability and talent in a 6'6 frame.

He's put up good numbers at every level, despite dealing with injuries his entire career. Over a PPG in the AHL this past year.

Selling low on Brown before even giving him a chance is exactly what should be expected of the GM that traded Zibanejad away before he was fully developed for Brassard of all people, but really hope not.
I hope you're wrong, too. No reason to not be patient with Logan at this point.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I’d trade a 3rd for him, or maybe a different player in a different position in a similar situation.

Browns not in a vastly different position than Juolevi. Juolevi has more value, but not by some unbridgeable chasm. In fact, they've both developed pretty similarly, each with their own relative strengths and weaknesses. Would you entertain a 3rd, or a pick after 45?

Reactions: derriko

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Why would they get rid of logan. They should be trying to add to the browns. How about getting dustin

Because him and Brady had a scuffle on the ice, the guys on reddit were saying it’s because he took a hard run at Chabot and Brady tackled him.
I don’t think taking a run at or fighting with the teams young core when your trying to make the team is a smart move.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
is it even possible to guage the value of brown as a considered top prospect on an ELC in the melnyk bargain bin contract world? you almost can't trade him for a player making a cent more than him and what's the point if it's for another ELC swap? it's basically no upside because you aren't getting a better player in return

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Browns not in a vastly different position than Juolevi. Juolevi has more value, but not by some unbridgeable chasm. In fact, they've both developed pretty similarly, each with their own relative strengths and weaknesses. Would you entertain a 3rd, or a pick after 45?

I can't see anyone giving up more than a 2nd like LA did for Andersson but I can see why Sens fans would think a 3rd is too low.

Maybe they can trade him for another struggling prospect or for a solid veteran like Alex Chiasson. I think they should definitely go for Chiasson, comes with free James Neal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad