Prospect Info: Logan Brown (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I guess, though DJ specifically said if both deserve to be there they'd look at moving someone to the wing to make room,

I think financially though it was never happening because they'd have to bump a one way contract to the taxi squad (assuming they didn't bump Bath or Stü
Not buying it. No coach is going with that much unproven youth down the middle.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Top 9 role is best for Brown, with a scoring role.

We started the year with a matchup line of Paul-Tierney-C.Brown, I'm sure we could find a way to give L.Brown some reps with scoring wingers.

Just as an example, using the opening night lines but replacing Anisimov and Paquette with Galchenyuk and Brown (and if desired Watson with White, though I've liked Watson in his role)

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Stützle-Stepan-Dadonov
Paul-Tierney-C.Brown
Galchenyuk-L.Brown-White/Watson

That L.Brown line has a similar feel to the way we broke in Hoffman-Lazar-Stone on the "fourth" back in the day. Sheltered starts and PP time in a role designed to maximize their strengths, and go from there.
The Stephan trade was pointless,this much we can all agree on...But having Norris Tierney and White down the middle was the actual roadblock for Brown...Now after we have played half the season ,we can see that there is still a slot open and up for grabs in that T6 and it comes at the expense of Tierney

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
White didn't start the season, we opted to play Anisimov instead. Maybe we could have rotated between the three of them to get him some games, or shifted White or Anisimov to the wing.
So if White wasnt good enough to make the squad out of camp what does this say about Logan Brown??

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not buying it. No coach is going with that much unproven youth down the middle.
Thats why he said he'd shift somebody to the the wing?:dunno:

Norris and White both have suitable styles to play wing or center. If they opten to move Tierney or Stepan to the wing there is the built in safety net of shifting them back. Heck, we could even try Brown at wing. Maybe they rotate Norris and Brown games like they did with White and Anisimov

Maybe DJ was full of it when he said it, idk, but the option was suggested.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Where though??Was he better than White Tierney and Norris,keeping in mind both White and Tierney have had productive seasons at this level and are on one way deals and subject to waivers...Unless u think his place was on the 4th line??

He is going to get a look for sure in a few games,and we need a top 6 center badly ...As Tierney isnt a top 6 center and White is a better option in the bottom 6 on the 3rd line...Iam one of the most outspoken about how this team has been run in the past few seasons,but there really isnt anything here to get upset about...
Why are you so hung up on him not playing on the 4th line? Anisimov is playing 4th line and 2nd PP. What is wrong with Brown playing in this role?

The numbers on our lines this year really haven't mattered.

Reactions: Bileur and GCK

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why are you so hung up on him not playing on the 4th line? Anisimov is playing 4th line and 2nd PP. What is wrong with Brown playing in this role?

Bring in Dzingel .. play Dzingel , Brown and Watson on our 4th line .. and give them at least 10 minutes, play Brown on the 2nd PP unit .. and that should be good to get going

Reactions: Bileur

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Thats why he said he'd shift somebody to the the wing?:dunno:

Norris and White both have suitable styles to play wing or center. If they opten to move Tierney or Stepan to the wing there is the built in safety net of shifting them back. Heck, we could even try Brown at wing. Maybe they rotate Norris and Brown games like they did with White and Anisimov

Maybe DJ was full of it when he said it, idk, but the option was suggested.
The team also said at camp they wanted White to play centre and they don’t see him as a winger.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Because we dont have enough quality T6 wingers for him to play with...He belongs with guys like Batherson Tkachuk Stu etc...Not with Watson, Peca,Haley and limited ice time

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The team also said at camp they wanted White to play centre and they don’t see him as a winger.
He's good positionally as a C .. doing a good job there but I could see him moving .. depending on C depth.
I would like to see DJ give him some reps on the PK here and there .. I think if he is being slotted as a 3rd line C and given d responsibility closing out games he should get some time there.

Reactions: topshelf15 and GCK

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
White is the JGP replacement,I have given up on him being a legit t6 center...But the looks every bit the part of a very good 3rd line guy

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He's good positionally as a C .. doing a good job there but I could see him moving .. depending on C depth.
I would like to see DJ give him some reps on the PK here and there .. I think if he is being slotted as a 3rd line C and given d responsibility closing out games he should get some time there.
Where he totally belongs,White Paul and Brown = excellent shut down /3rd line

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Because we dont have enough quality T6 wingers for him to play with...He belongs with guys like Batherson Tkachuk Stu etc...Not with Watson, Peca,Haley and limited ice time
... so play him with those guys? What is the issue here? He can play with Dzingel or Paul or Brown as well. Plenty of decent wingers here. the problem is the center ice position. That's the whole point of getting Brown here.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
... so play him with those guys? What is the issue here? He can play with Dzingel or Paul or Brown as well. Plenty of decent wingers here. the problem is the center ice position. That's the whole point of getting Brown here.
We just got Dzingle,so he cant be part of why he isnt on the team yet....And yes we have a gapping hole at the t6 center slot,one everyone here sees as the final piece of what could be a very good center ice spine....I dream about Norris as the number 2 guy with White being the hardnosed 3rd line guy...Tierney needs to go ,but we need a legit replacement...So Iam ok with them wanting to make sure they have Brown ready to go and not falter again as he needs to stick this time

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So i guess we are left to pick and choose what to believe when they talk...

Anyways, i still think the biggest barrier to having both Norris and Brown on the opening night roster was finances. They had too many one way contracts for fringe players and weren't willing to pay to have them on the taxi squad.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Idk, personally i think it says something about the guy who had Anisimov ahead of White in his assessment
Fair enough ,but again he isnt a bottom 6 player...We need Brown to do what got him drafted at an nhl level...Him playing limited mins with 4th liners doesnt help this

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

Anyways, i still think the biggest barrier to having both Norris and Brown on the opening night roster was finances. They had too many one way contracts for fringe players and weren't willing to pay to have them on the taxi squad.
Yeah that could be another possibility ,but I didnt want to go down that very messy road again...Because if it is this reason then the rebuild really doesnt matter

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think they over estimated the positive impact of the vets they brought in Stepan primaily in this case and of Anisimov's great camp leading to NHL caliber play in games.

Yah they wanted some vet presence but.. I mean players careers end for not being able to keep up anymore.

Reactions: topshelf15

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Fair enough ,but again he isnt a bottom 6 player...We need Brown to do what got him drafted at an nhl level...Him playing limited mins with 4th liners doesnt help this

It's funny because we had White and Galchenyuk also scratched for the same reasons, maybe if instead of playing plug 4th liners we played guys that are top 9 options fighting for a chance, we'd be a better team for it, you know, the way we did with Hoffman-Lazar-Stone... Two out of three went on to earn bigger roles and move up the roster.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I still dont like us not giving Stu a shot at center ,with his skating and skill with the puck..To go along with the playmaking ability he has....It seems a no brainer TBH

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
It's funny because we had White and Galchenyuk also scratched for the same reasons, maybe if instead of playing plug 4th liners we played guys that are top 9 options fighting for a chance, we'd be a better team for it, you know, the way we did with Hoffman-Lazar-Stone... Two out of three went on to earn bigger roles and move up the roster.
For me the competition was between Tierney and Norris for the slot Brown should have been considered for.....Norris won his spot and Tierney was a veteran that had come off a 40 point season....White was still finding his niche,and looked kinda like Paul before he realised he isnt going to be a goto guy in the top 6...But could be a beast in the bottom 6...

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I still dont like us not giving Stu a shot at center ,with his skating and skill with the puck..To go along with the playmaking ability he has....It seems a no brainer TBH
He is so far ahead of anyone else on the team offensively that it's frustrating not to see him on the top line and/or tried at center at this point. Understandable why they won't, but he's clearly their best weapon and there's more he could be contributing atm imo.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He is so far ahead of anyone else on the team offensively that it's frustrating not to see him on the top line and/or tried at center at this point. Understandable why they won't, but he's clearly their best weapon and there's more he could be contributing atm imo.
Just him being beside the ying to his yang in Batherson ,could make for a very exciting duo

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Yah not much I agree but I would rather have all those guys or most of them playing in the AHL helping that team be more competitive.
I still do not like many of the decisions coming out of camp with the quality of the vets chosen over a couple of these guys

For sure I agree. But I also wonder if some of these guys get fed up when they may feel that they aren't getting the NHL shot that they want. That may be a situation with some or all of these players. Conversely, we really shouldn't be getting all worked up over a few prospects that are a dime a dozen types that have a limited to no NHL future. Not all our prospects are going to be NHL players.

It happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad