Prospect Info: Logan Brown (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Depends whether they draft Byfield or Stutzle, if it's Byfield he has direct competition coming in two yrs & maybe that's the kick in the arse he needs. If it's Stutzle it's much more likely they keep him around to centre a top line until Norris is able to take it, or they trade for another centre. He has all the tools to be a very good NHL player. It seems to be between the ears with this guy & whether he really wants to be an NHL player or if he would rather or prefer to play in another market. Way too early to give up on a top six centre just yet.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Top 6 center is our biggest need but it'll start getting pretty crowded at C after this draft. Byfield/Stutzle, Norris, Pinto, Brown, White, etc. I think he needs to show something at the NHL level or he could be used as part of a trade package. I'm sure he still has pretty good value around league circles.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I am starting to think that 2016 was simply an oddball year in terms of prospects and for some reason it seems that this crop of draftees will not make an impact until a bit later. It is easy to say that Logan Brown is nearing "make it or bust" territory but we are really only basing that on this apparent belief that he can only become a full time NHL'er before the age of 25. Take a look at the 2016 first round draft:

2016 draft.jpg

Truthfully, how many players drafted after Logan (out of 19) would you actually want more at this point? Very few stand out as actually having become impact players already in their career, is that fair to say? Maybe we simply need to be a little more patient with Logan Brown than we think.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Depends how much he is allowed to compete for a spot. If the Sens are going to hand CT, CW, Arti, and even Chaplik ice time while squeezing in Norris, Byfield, or who ever I don’t see him starting in the NHL.

If they allow for open internal competition I could see Norris and Brown holding down the 1-2C rolls with CT playing Pagers 3C blended roll from last year.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I am starting to think that 2016 was simply an oddball year in terms of prospects and for some reason it seems that this crop of draftees will not make an impact until a bit later. It is easy to say that Logan Brown is nearing "make it or bust territory" but we are really only basing that on this apparent belief that he can only become a full time NHL'er before the age of 25. Take a look at the 2016 first round draft:

View attachment 368148

Truthfull, how many players drafted after Logan (out of 19) would you actually want more at this point? Very few stand out as actually having become impact players already in their career, is that fair to say? Maybe we simply need to be a little more patient with Logan Brown than we think.
Only McAvoy right now. That second half of the first round is brutal

Reactions: robsenz
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I am starting to think that 2016 was simply an oddball year in terms of prospects and for some reason it seems that this crop of draftees will not make an impact until a bit later. It is easy to say that Logan Brown is nearing "make it or bust territory" but we are really only basing that on this apparent belief that he can only become a full time NHL'er before the age of 25. Take a look at the 2016 first round draft:

View attachment 368148

Truthfull, how many players drafted after Logan (out of 19) would you actually want more at this point? Very few stand out as actually having become impact players already in their career, is that fair to say? Maybe we simply need to be a little more patient with Logan Brown than we think.

Can we take into account that we also traded up to pick him?

Reactions: WaitingInVain

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yup it’s Bathersons last shot too. And brannstrom will get 5 games to prove he can dominate. And Norris will be watched closely. One more slip up and he’s gone.
And if we draft Byfield he will get 2 games and then be traded.
We don’t have time to wait for these guys to develop. It’s cup or fold next year.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Brown's issue imo is footspeed and quick decision making. Has all the tools to be a solid player (hands vision iq) but I just find he's a little too slow he's behind the play a little bit at the NHL level.

Reactions: Prajna

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I don't know this for fact but I get the feeling Dorion and company are rooting for Brown. They've taken a patient approach and hopefully it's making Brown hungry. To me, he proved he was a big time top line player in the AHL last season so that has to make the org. hopeful. That said, if he doesn't establish himself this upcoming season, I'll start to have some doubt.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Brown's issue imo is footspeed and quick decision making. Has all the tools to be a solid player (hands vision iq) but I just find he's a little too slow he's behind the play a little bit at the NHL level.
I think his decision making offensively is very good. His pace needs to improve. That has been noted. Defensively he needs to improve his situational awareness as well as his pace at the NHL level. He is more than fine with this at the AHL level. That'll come for him if he isn't demoted and sent down when he makes mistakes.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Let's have the context in mind when analyzing the situation.

The Sens have been on rebuild mode since they traded Brassard and Phaneuf at the 2018 trade deadine. All vets since have been almost exclusively traded for futures (except Duclair, Tierney, DeMelo, Boedker?), which results in a different way to treat prospects and the process to graduate them to the NHL. It gives you the luxury to take your time to develop them, which is why guys like Batherson and Brown have not fully graduated yet. On a strong NHL lineup that is up against the cap, incorporating cheap young talent might be a necessity and an easier thing to do because they would be surrounded by good established vets. There's a MAJOR difference in bringing Brady Tkachuk and Colin White to play with Mark Stone than Logan Brown and Drake Batherson to play with Chris Tierney.

Batherson and Brown could have been graduated already and could have been developping furthermore IN THE NHL, to the point that they would hold their ground pretty well. But that is not the goal with them, the Sens allowed them to dominate the AHL because they want them to be difference makers in the NHL. So this process was to put more chances on their side instead of throwing them to the wolves on a struggling team lacking experience and above average NHL players.

Batherson and Brown are NOT busts and won't be, the question is how good can they be, tweeners or top-6 forwards?

In Brown's case, there's going to be a number's game (Batherson as well but not as much as there is more Winger spots to fill), with the 3rd and 5th OA picks this year (Sens could pick 2 centers), with Josh Norris, Shane Pinto, Filip Chlapik and Colin White (and Tierney until he's traded).

There's many questions that still need to be answered to know what will happen with Brown, but he will have to beat most of them to be an offensive center on a team, if not he might be traded to a team that lacks talent at center

Only McAvoy right now. That second half of the first round is brutal

Chychrun is pretty good too

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Why do you think the Brown for Puljujarvi proposal is idiotic?

I have no clue where Pulj’s game is but if he is healthy and playing well this could be a decent move depending on who we draft. If we come out with a C/D combo at 3-5OA this could clear out the Center log jam and strengthen the right side.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Poolparty, another 6'4" player I don't want on this team, he's not even an NHL player anymore. IMO there are better options in this draft over that guy.

Reactions: Icelevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad