Lockout Over!!!!

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Is there any confirmation on this, or just your feeling?
All 14 teams will have a chance (likely different chances) to win the lottery, (instead of moving up 5 spots max).
The dude that cannot avoid a work stoppage with every CBA expiration? Why, are you related to him or something?
He's telling what WILL happen, not what should happen.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It's about damn time. Now what do we do about that defence? :help:

I believe they are going to start like that, to see what we have at first and precisely identify needs...

Methot-Karlsson
Wiercioch-Gonchar
Phillips-Borowiecki
Benoit/Eckford

Huge test for Wiercioch, if he is ready for the task, it will help us immensily

And is Lundin still injured? For how long?

Let's remember that it is still a rebuilding club and they will not sacrifice many eggs just to marginally make the playoffs. I'm sure Murray will try to improve the team but he is thinking long-term first. We have no pressure to make the playoffs, it would be a huge bonus, like last year

Maybe we'll just sign an UFA

Mark Eaton, Brett Clark, Colin White, Kent Huskins, Brad Lukowich, Randy Jones...

Not sure where the game of all those guys is now...

All I can say is its about ****ing time.

If Alfie's career had ended due to millionaires and billionairs fighting over billions of dollars, I'd have sworn off this game forever.

Just saw something on TSN about Bettman wanting to be around until 2017 at least... F that. Fire him as soon as this thing is official.

I believe things could be worse without Bettman. He's a businessman and is doing it well

Of course, I could have missed several things, I didn't follow lockouts that closely, got better things to do

But I think lockouts are more due to players greed and GMs throwing money around like candy than anything else. Bettman is there for the long term viability of the league. He's doing what has to be done. And the results have been great so far (league growth). The business world is about money, not people's feelings

I'm not saying this as a fan of any side, I believe they should all share their part of the blame. I also think players are spoiled babies, do they realize they make most people's year salary in just 1 freaking game?

Last edited:

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I

The dude that cannot avoid a work stoppage with every CBA expiration? Why, are you related to him or something?

Work stoppage not necessary if NHLPA had started negotiating in earnest when invited to a year or go or anytime in the past few months.

Lockout is par for the course with any League now to avoid a strike before playoffs.
The league needed to bring down the player compensation and close some loopholes.
Bettman has had a big hand in saving some teams including the Sens and in growing the league. He also takes on all the venom that would normally be directed to the owners.

He will retire within the next 10 years anyway so likely wont be around for the next CBA, but unless the PA start negotiating earlier in earnest next time we will just see all the vilification aimed at Daly instead or whoever comes next.

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
Hockey is back on TV!

... but not Foligno... because he got traded 6 months ago...

your face right now:
Huh.gif

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
With the shortened season even a short losing streak will put a team out of the playoffs.

I think this is going to put a lot of extra pressure on each player to produce and especially the goalies.

I don't think that they will stay with any goalie for long when and if he reaches a dry stretch.
For instance, Auld would not be able to stick as back up this year,and its a good thing that Bishop has had some games in Bingo.

I think if either Anderson or Bishop falter we might see Lehner up here.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
I for one expect a slow start for Ottawa and that is KILLER in a shortened season - defensive depth issues, youth playing key roles: Silf and Weir, Anderson having not played...if Ottawa is cold early I could see some deals made to prepare for next year.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Work stoppage not necessary if NHLPA had started negotiating in earnest when invited to a year or go or anytime in the past few months.

Lockout is par for the course with any League now to avoid a strike before playoffs.
The league needed to bring down the player compensation and close some loopholes.
Bettman has had a big hand in saving some teams including the Sens and in growing the league. He also takes on all the venom that would normally be directed to the owners.

He will retire within the next 10 years anyway so likely wont be around for the next CBA, but unless the PA start negotiating earlier in earnest next time we will just see all the vilification aimed at Daly instead or whoever comes next.

You are grossly mistaken if you believe starting to negotiate earlier would have changed one thing.

An opening lowball offer, take it or leave proposals, walking out of negotiations, refusing to meet, weren't the tactics of the NHLPA.

This lockout was about union busting, unfortunately it took the NHL over 100 days to realize this just wasn't going to happen this time.

Lockouts are about management taking advantage of current US labor law, it is why sports PAs file for disclaimer.

Bettman didn't save the Sens, that was left for Melnyk.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
All 14 teams will have a chance (likely different chances) to win the lottery, (instead of moving up 5 spots max).

He's telling what WILL happen, not what should happen.

Ah, I guess. I hope the odds are fairly spread such that the lower teams have the greatest chance, but that there is not a huge jump in the odds from any one spot to the next (like from 48.something for last overall to 20 or whatever it was for second last).

No worries, this will be Gary's last CBA negotiation.

One more thing to be thankful for when next Thanksgiving rolls around.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Plus we can still trade Gonchar if we want to have the worst defense in the league! Currently that would give Ottawa what 3 NHL defensemen?:help:

Well... any team losing 3 NHL D-men would be down to 3 or 4 NHL D-men... so I doN't really get these kind of posts...

I heard Campoli is looking for a job. :naughty:

Campoli wouldn't be a bad idea seriously

Also if say a team like Edmonton gets 3 first overall picks in a row the next year they will have less of a chance to win the lottery.

Great! So the Habs will suck forever! :sarcasm:

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
How ****ing awesome is it that we actually get to talk about HOCKEY again and not this BS about negotiations?

Well... any team losing 3 NHL D-men would be down to 3 or 4 NHL D-men... so I doN't really get these kind of posts...

My point was just that our defense is crap atm and needs tons of work. Trading Gonchar is a possibility but the team needs other bodies that can help them win.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Tsn talking about canadian teams right now, no mention of Ottawa :rant:

Haha yeah I love how we were not even on their list. Also enjoyed how they jump right to Edmonton as the team that comes out flying. Lets not forget that Binghamton has a way better record and is also filled with our young players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad