Local costs for ice time/pickup games/skate sharpening

Frozen North

Healthy Scratch
Oct 8, 2002
OK
Visit site
Just curious on what it costs to skate in everyone's neck of the woods.

Here in OK, it costs $10 for an hour of pickup hockey, $9 if you buy the ten-session punchcard. Skate sharpening just went up to $9. $20 to bake skates at the pro-shop at the rink.

In ND, it cost between $2.50 and $5 for anywhere from an hour to two hours of pickup hockey, skate sharpening was $4, and the local hockey shop would bake your skates for free if you had bought them there.

What's it like in the rest of the world?

Malarowski

Jul 25, 2012
$35 for Open Hockey, $40 for a 'clinic/class', Sharpening is $10, I think. That's in NYC.

Outside in Jersey it drops to roughly 15-20 for open hockey, 25 or so for clinics. Sharpening gets slightly cheaper too. But yea, I wish $2.50.

bwhinnen

Nov 26, 2012
Brisbane, AU
Brisbane, QLD, Australia, currently two working rinks for ~2million people

Skate sharpening - $15
1 - 2 hour pickup game - $20
1 hour practice - $15 - 20 (depending on numbers)
1 hour league game (paid 1/2 season in advance) - $16
Public session - (2 - 4 hours) - $17

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
Boston area it vaires A LOT!

I've seen organized pick up games ith ref's cost $22-$35. Sharpening's are anywhere from $6-$10

Where I play in Arlington, MA for pick-up/stick time it's $5 for the two hours. Which is the cheapest I've EVER seen anywhere. Heck there have been weeks when the rink manager has let me in for free just because lol. It's nice.

PlayBall

Feb 20, 2013
Powerade centre here in Brampton is something like 10 bucks weekdays to get on for shinny from 9-3pm. Pretty good. Not sure about rentals at the moment though.

JR97

May 16, 2012
SLC, UT
Public Drop-ins: $6

Private Drop-ins: Standard to ask is $10 if it's full and then ask people to chip in a little extra if it isn't full. Rates depend on the rink, though.

Stick/Puck Sessions: $6

Sharpening: Most rinks run $5-6 if you leave them $8 if you wait. FBV at one rink is $8 if you leave and $10 if you wait.

Up the canyon at the Park City rink public drop-ins vary depending on whether they're coached or not. Its been a while but I think the prices were $8-10.

w00t99

Aug 3, 2005
On Long Island all the pickup/open hockey sessions I've seen and been to have been between $15-$25 with most of them being towards the latter.

My LHS charges $10 for a sharpening but I think it can be had for cheaper than that, I just trust the guys there and have a relationship so I spend a few extra bucks.

Thesensation19*

Long Island, New York.

Pretty big area for playing and watching hockey. New York Rangers, New York Islanders and New Jersey Devils. MSG Network. CT Whale only a few hours away. There are about 10 legit ice rinks on Long Island and a few more for kids and public ice. Open hockey basically every night if you know where to look.

But here is the answer...
Ice time is generally between $300-400 indoor rinks for an hour. Around $250 for outdoor ones.

Pick up games is typically $20. A adult hockey company over here has small rink and large rink open hockey. Their small rinks are at earlier times and at a Islanders practice rink and its $25 an hour. Their large rink open hockey is at midnight on Fridays and its $20. The Small rink use to be legit but now way to many show up and 25 is a ripoff.

Some rinks have lunch time or this special where they do $10-15 open hockey but you can see the trend starting to move more toward $20. And in most of the places that are already $20, I would not be surprised to see it go up $5 in a year or so. Private open hockey is typically $20 as well.

Skate Sharpening is $10. Told my Canadian cousin, he just laughed.

For America, I am sure New York is one of the best places in the country but can be a rip off many angles you look at it. Its not as common or as popular as I hope. But It could be worse. Good thread btw...

Oh our mens leagues now are about $6000-$7000 for a 15 regular season games. Double Elimination which is usually 2/3 rounds. So we pay like $420 a season, $22 insurance in a 14 team roster. We use to get a free game and playoffs now we dont even make our money back if we dont make the 2nd round of playoffs.

People say the refs and real game status make it more $. That be great but the refs are horrible. I know its beer league but I hate when refs just want to get out of there and are horrid in all aspects. Common in Long ISland

Thesensation19*

On Long Island all the pickup/open hockey sessions I've seen and been to have been between $15-$25 with most of them being towards the latter.

My LHS charges $10 for a sharpening but I think it can be had for cheaper than that, I just trust the guys there and have a relationship so I spend a few extra bucks.

I never found cheaper for $10. Maybe like 5-10 years ago it was $8 but now its all $10. Worst part, is I have found only 1 guy who can do it good.

I believe he owns the Parkwood rink but was working at the Hockey Underground in Melville. He immediately talks to me about whats wrong with my blade, knows all about it, real professional and has never done me wrong. Gave me a ton of good advice.

But I went back to Hockey underground when he left, they are horrible. Messed up mine and my friends skates 2x in a row. Went over to a differ rink, she fixed all the previous issues and cut it well. My friends, she messed up even worse. And he still cant find someone to fix the edges. I think finaly he went over to ice works and the boss over there fixed it up. But I had him once and wasnt so solid.

Basically, you have only 4-5 guys in all of long island who are good and consistent. Everyone else is a kid who gets paid minimum wage to cut the skates without caring how to fpropelry do it and get it done asap

w00t99

Aug 3, 2005
Hockey Underground is actually my usual go to unless I am up near Iceworks. I've never had a problem at underground so not sure if you just caught the wrong guy or something but I agree there are very very few places on the Island with quality people working there.

I think some of the smaller rinks and their pro shops will do it for 7 or 8 but I could be wrong haven't been there for awhile and I was living out of state while in college so maybe everywhere is $10. Just an overall lack of quality shops for a community that I feel has a decent hockey footprint.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
Billings, MT

5 Dollars for drop in

5 Dollars for a sharpen

300 dollars for a season in the league 32 + playoff games with 2 referees.

For how much I skate at drop ins if I had to pay 25 dollars a session I would be flat broke.

This only helps reinforce my reason for moving away from the east coast, logjam extreme.

BigNumber1Centre

Mar 19, 2010
Alberta
Edmonton, AB

I think I've heard of $8 drop-ins. Men's league is 700ish for winter or 300ish for summer.

Skate sharpenings, about $6.

At the store I work at, we bake skates for free.

NYRSinceBirth

Feb 24, 2007
$35 for Open Hockey, $40 for a 'clinic/class', Sharpening is $10, I think. That's in NYC.

Outside in Jersey it drops to roughly 15-20 for open hockey, 25 or so for clinics. Sharpening gets slightly cheaper too. But yea, I wish $2.50.

Chelsea Piers, right? Aviator (Brooklyn), Pavilion (SI), City Ice (Queens) all hover around $20/25 a skate depending on the time (City is $20 during the week, but $25 Fri/Sat nights for example).

The only place I'll let touch my skates is West Side Skate, which is like $12 or something for a sharpen.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Vancouver, B.C.

1) 1.5 hour private drop-ins average going rate is $15, give or take $5 depending on location, date and time. Don't know the going rate for public drop-ins, but should be cheaper.
2) Sharpening at local shops are $5~$6.
3) Stick and puck would be about $1 for an hour at the cheapest rink, and $10 for an hour at the Richmond Olympic Oval. It varies from rink to rink.
4) League fees for players start from $350 up to $700 per person.
5) Goalies gets to do everything for free, if not at least a free beer aside from sharpening.

Shanghai, China

1) $16 for drop-in if you prepay, $24 if you don't. Usually goes for 2 hours or so.
2) League fee is about $400-$450 for roughly 18 regular season games plus maybe another 4 to 6 playoff games. Don't remember the exact number.

Taipei, Taiwan
1) $15 for a drop-in. Though most of their so called drop-in sessions consist of a 1 hour practice and drills and then a 1 hour scrimmage.

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Arabian Gulf

about $8.50 USD for skate sharpening. The quality varies with the local rinks being done by indians or philipinos with zero experience so the skate are screwed usually. Luckily there is a Canadian pilot who has a big ass dual sharpening machine and does skates in his spare time.He must do pretty well and Im guessing he makes about $300USD per week on sharpening.

No drop in for hockey that I know of but the league costs for 21 games plus 4-6 playoffs is about $600.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
In Kalamazoo, MI it's...

$8 for drop in for 1.5 hours
$5 for sticks and pucks
$6 for a regular sharpening
$8 for that V cut sharpening
$2300 for a team in summer for 14 guaranteed games

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ottawa...$10-15 for pick-up usually an hour or two. Can get skate sharpening for $3.50ish if you buy a 10 sharpening card or I believe $6 if you just walk in. Dunno about baking.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Arabian Gulf

about $8.50 USD for skate sharpening. The quality varies with the local rinks being done by indians or philipinos with zero experience so the skate are screwed usually. Luckily there is a Canadian pilot who has a big ass dual sharpening machine and does skates in his spare time.He must do pretty well and Im guessing he makes about $300USD per week on sharpening.

No drop in for hockey that I know of but the league costs for 21 games plus 4-6 playoffs is about $600.

Yeah, it's the same in Shanghai. We usually look for North American or Europeans with experience to do the sharpening.

Last time I gave my skates to a local Chinese dude to do it, he made it so sharp I can't even stop on it. Spent 30 minutes on it and passed it through the grind stone like a million times. Probably took a good inch of steel out.

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
Columbus OH. Keep in mind there is ONE company that runs the rinks in town (The Chiller), so they have a monopoly on it. One company, 8 sheets of ice. You can skate at Ohio State for some things like Public Skate, but there are no public leagues or Drop In's there:

Drop In (1.5 - 2 hours): $10, goalies are free
Stick & Puck (no games allowed, 1 hour): $15
Skate Sharpening: $5
League Play: Depends on how many players, but it averages out to about $20 a game

rbarker26

Jan 3, 2013
Nor-Cal
Bay Area, CA
Pickup: $12 (used to be $10)
Skate sharpening: $5 (this one place locally has $2 sharpenings on tuesdays I think)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad