Local costs for ice time/pickup games/skate sharpening

AussieFlyersFan

Jun 9, 2012
Vancouver
WA, Australia
Drop in - $15
1hr stick and puck session - $200 (have to book private ice time)
clinic - $275 (10 Weeks)
private lessons - $40 for a half hour
Skate sharpening - $15 - $20
Public Skate - $15/$20 depending if you have your own skates.
League Hockey for a Season - $880

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Airport Ice Arena, about 15 min north of Pittsburgh
$10 - stick time (90 min)
$5 - skate sharpening
$120 - adult league for 12 games

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
That's what gets me the most. My drive to the nearest rink already kills me on gas mileage. I think we have the rare stick and puck at the Rinx. It's usually at like 5pm on a weekday or some stupid time. The worst for me are the 11am weekday hockey clinics. Who is doing those? Retirement players? Give me a break!

:laugh: I go to the one on Fridays and it's a pretty decent quality. All of them during the week are and you usually get about 30 guys and goalies for 15 bucks and it's 2 hours of ice time. It's a mix of junior, college, rec league and the occasional newbies.

Lucky for me I have half day fridays:)

phileeeeeeep

Jun 24, 2007
Minnesota/Virginia
Hampton Roads, VA

Drop in- 15$ (10$ with my Military Discount)
Leagues- 400-450 14-16 games
Sharpening- There isn't a dedicated hockey shop out here just Play It Again Sports and I dont know how much they cost.

This is the worst area I've lived as far as ice time goes. Only 2 real rinks in the area. One only does drop in at 1215-2pm on Fridays and the other does drop ins Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat except its at 10-1120 or 11-1220. Both are not very working man friendly haha.

Lived in the Seattle area for 3 years and loved playing hockey out there. Drop in's at good times almost every night but the league out there was pretty expensive.

I need to get back to Minnesota :(:help:

bwhinnen

Nov 26, 2012
Brisbane, AU
That's a shame. It's the same in Sydney, so many rinks but none are good quality except SIA, but the people who run that one are jerks who are into speed skating. Bleh.

What sucks about that situation is that Australian ice hockey performs much better on the world stage than Australian figure skating. You would think the rink owners would get a clue.

Do you know if they've finished renovating the rink in the Gold Coast yet?

They've pushed back the dates a few times now. The latest news is that it should be in a few weeks. It will be interesting to see what they have done. They were the cheapest rink in the South East QLD region by a few $ for each session.

Some more costings after a recent trip: Townsville Rink (Queensland, Australia):

Public session 3 - 5 hours: $15
Skate sharpening: until recently send to Brisbane, now around $15 - $20

I did not get costings on per hour ice time or the Hockey training. The rink is about 1/2 the size of a standard IIHF rink with a neutral zone that is about 10 feet long :) But it is still a rink and the 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 comps would be great fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad