Local costs for ice time/pickup games/skate sharpening

sxHarr05

Feb 19, 2012
Montgomery County,PA
Hatfield, PA (Philly area):
Stick & Puck/Open Hockey-$10/2 hours.
League-$250 (spring 10 games+playoffs)-400 (fall, 20 games+playoffs)
Clinics are typically around $125 for 7 weeks. $25-30 for "drop-ins".
Sharpenings run $6-8 for standard and FBV, $25-ish for profiling Pro shops, Total Hockey)

These prices are fairly typical of the rinks in the area.

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
Hatfield, PA (Philly area):
Stick & Puck/Open Hockey-$10/2 hours.
League-$250 (spring 10 games+playoffs)-400 (fall, 20 games+playoffs)
Clinics are typically around $125 for 7 weeks. $25-30 for "drop-ins".
Sharpenings run $6-8 for standard and FBV, $25-ish for profiling Pro shops, Total Hockey)

These prices are fairly typical of the rinks in the area.

Have you gone to Total Hockey for sharpenings? If so, do they do a good job?

sxHarr05

Feb 19, 2012
Montgomery County,PA
Have you gone to Total Hockey for sharpenings? If so, do they do a good job?

I haven't had any complaints, and with the 50 free cuts I got at the grand opening I've been taking my brother-in-law's skates as well and he's happy. Mind you, I was off the ice for nearly twenty years and all of this FBV stuff is new to me. But yes, I have been satisfied with them.

dwreckm

Feb 2, 2012
Alaska
Palmer/Wasilla, Alaska -

$150 or $190 (depending on day/time)/hr rink rental (if you do more than an hour, they'll zam it between the hours, no addt'l charge)
$8 for one hour drop in
$5 for hour of stick time
$6-7 sharpening, depends on rink or hockey shop.
$300 for league

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
I haven't had any complaints, and with the 50 free cuts I got at the grand opening I've been taking my brother-in-law's skates as well and he's happy. Mind you, I was off the ice for nearly twenty years and all of this FBV stuff is new to me. But yes, I have been satisfied with them.

Thanks. Platinum members get free sharpenings on Tuesday and I need to get a bad sharpening corrected before I hit the ice on Tuesday night.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
At my rink here in Putnam County, New York (about 45 minutes away from Manhattan) the prices are as follows:

Skate Sharpening: $7 for normal, $13 for new/super-rusty skates (pretty much for a heavy cross-grind)
Open Hockey: $10
Sticks and Pucks: $10
Adult Clinic: $15
Skate Bake: $40 if you bought elsewhere, free if you bought from us.
Public Session: $5
Skate Rental: $3

esidebill

Jun 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
Yeah Iceworks in Syosset is 30 at the door, 25 if you pre pay online. The prices are ridiculous here for ice time.

I'm convinced the people assembling these things are either ripping us off, or the ice rentals are really just that expensive. There's usually around 30 skaters, and that's $900 cash. We'd be better off renting off our own ice or something.

w00t99

Aug 3, 2005
It's just become a joke on Long Island. There are very few open hockey sessions and most people have a decent drive and then have to pay 25-30 bucks for an hour and a half of ice time which you maybe get to skate for 20 minutes of.

Not to mention the non-existence of stick and puck sessions. The best deal is Dix Hills Friday nights open hockey for 20 bucks but its at midnight and a hike for a lot of people.

esidebill

Jun 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
It's just become a joke on Long Island. There are very few open hockey sessions and most people have a decent drive and then have to pay 25-30 bucks for an hour and a half of ice time which you maybe get to skate for 20 minutes of.

Not to mention the non-existence of stick and puck sessions. The best deal is Dix Hills Friday nights open hockey for 20 bucks but its at midnight and a hike for a lot of people.

That's what gets me the most. My drive to the nearest rink already kills me on gas mileage. I think we have the rare stick and puck at the Rinx. It's usually at like 5pm on a weekday or some stupid time. The worst for me are the 11am weekday hockey clinics. Who is doing those? Retirement players? Give me a break!

w00t99

Aug 3, 2005
That's what gets me the most. My drive to the nearest rink already kills me on gas mileage. I think we have the rare stick and puck at the Rinx. It's usually at like 5pm on a weekday or some stupid time. The worst for me are the 11am weekday hockey clinics. Who is doing those? Retirement players? Give me a break!

Yeah I've seen some of the times offered and they don't make any sense. I work in manhattan and live on long island, how do they expect people to make a stick and puck at 3 on a random Tuesday or even at 5 for that matter. I guess they figure the weekend mornings are better spent used otherwise. It's probably just an overall lack of the number of rinks in the area.

CunniJA

Mar 28, 2012
Estes Park, Colorado
Wow. Here in Colorado I pay 4 bucks for 1 and 1/2 hour drop-in or stick and puck, 5 for sharpening, 2 bucks on cheap day for rec skate, 460 for winter league, and 225 or so for summer with 2 free Water World tickets for early sign-up.

Glad I don't have to pay the exorbitant rates that others do.

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
Skatetown - Roseville, CA
I think these are current.

Stick time - $12 for 1 hour, $17 for 1.5 hour session (
Pickup - $15 for 1 hour 15 minutes.
Sharpening - $7 ($1 dollar off if you bought you skates from there)
Flatbottom - $12 ($1 dollar off if you bought you skates from there)

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
I play roller hockey because of the insane prices the guys from Long Island have posted. Even then, it's $10-$15 for open hockey for an hour and a half. I currently play at Rapid Fire in Moriches which is $170 for 10 games + playoffs which is pretty good. The competition has gotten really good there too.

For those guys that play at The Rinx, any idea how much it is to start a team or join a team individually per season? I miss playing ice.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
My local rink for ENL1 hockey (3rd Tier British Hockey) charges around £900-1000 for the ice time...

For ENL2 (4th Tier) it charges £750 for ice time...

Sharpening is £4.

esidebill

Jun 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
I play roller hockey because of the insane prices the guys from Long Island have posted. Even then, it's $10-$15 for open hockey for an hour and a half. I currently play at Rapid Fire in Moriches which is $170 for 10 games + playoffs which is pretty good. The competition has gotten really good there too.

For those guys that play at The Rinx, any idea how much it is to start a team or join a team individually per season? I miss playing ice.

I think it's $260 a player for their Adult Intramural which is 10 games. I've never done it before, but they play on Sunday evenings.

Chest Infected

Apr 1, 2013
Norwich, Ontario
Stick and puck time is $5 for two hours but only have it two week days between 12-2 in the afternoon. So work screws that.
Private rental is $150 for an hour
Skate sharpening is $5 from a buddy of mine that has his own sharpener.

BGFalconHawks

Apr 2, 2013
Grayslake, IL
Rink Side Sports, Gurnee IL(inside a huge mall btw)

Stick Time/Pick UP: $10 (non members) $9 (members) (1.5hrs)

Sharpening: $6 Each...so $12 I guess

Year Round/Constant Adult League: $340 for 20 games (no registration deadline, never ending league, just re-up for 20 more)

8 Week Adult Beginners Learn to Play $136

Special Deal if the temperature is scheduled to reach 85 in Gurnee, IL at the time of the first Public Skate the sessions are free for the day.

BGSU Ice Arena, Bowling Green, OH

Shinny/Stick and Puck: $10, goalies free

Adult League: $150 skaters, $75 goalies (Minimum of 8 games plus playoffs)

Sharpening: Overnight $4.50/Same Day $6.00

Skate Baking: $5

Rental main ice $165 for BGSU affiliate/$217 for Public per hour

Curling/Multi Purpose Ice: $95 for BGSU/$135 for Public per hour

Ice Arena closed annually from April 27 to June 6 for general maintenance after University use and BGSU and High School Hockey season

Last edited:

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
Stephenville, NL
- We don't have open hockey or shinny or anything of that nature
- You can rent the ice for $140/hour and call all your friends to come out, so usually about $10 per player if you do that.
- Skate sharpening is $4 per pair, done by the zamboni drivers. You just walk down to the far end of the rink and shout for somebody to come out and then they sharpen them.
- It's not your typical small town barn either, it's a 1200 seat building with an international size ice surface

St. John's, NL
When I was in university I discovered you could go to Twin Rinks and pay $5 to skate for up to 6 hours. Amazing.

SCritical

They don't anywhere here in Brisbane / Gold Coast :( Ice time is at a premium for non figure related sports.

That's a shame. It's the same in Sydney, so many rinks but none are good quality except SIA, but the people who run that one are jerks who are into speed skating. Bleh.

What sucks about that situation is that Australian ice hockey performs much better on the world stage than Australian figure skating. You would think the rink owners would get a clue.

Do you know if they've finished renovating the rink in the Gold Coast yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad