OT: Living in Arizona (and aliens)

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
"@abc15: We're getting lots of reports of a bright object in the sky. We're checking to confirm it's a weather balloon. #abc15 http://t.co/gFB4p2EGjT"

Pretty bright

"@abc15: Here's a great shot from Aaron Riley of the weather balloon above the Valley. http://t.co/Qh2wNsHzrA"

I guess I am not the only one who saw it and thought of this thread. I was at the Superstition Springs mall and found out they locked there doors. Then I turned around and saw it in the NE sky. It was very bright. Very stationary and very high up in the sky as well.

huhwhtfkr

Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I saw it as well,it tracked west over a couple of hours. weather balloon ,ooookay.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Alien talk is funny to me.

Military test bases are way out in the desert because military aircraft testing / training is always loud, occasionally dangerous, often toxic/radioactive and always unpleasant for civilians to be near. Highly recommend you East Valley folks drive out to Luke AFB when the new F-35's come on line and start flying next year. The engines at Sky Harbor are designed to be efficient and as quiet as possible. The engines on fighter jets are designed to defy the laws of physics, because Sir Isaac Newton will get you killed in combat.

Is there alien life out there? Absolutely.

Have they found us? Decent chance. But just like using American satellites to spy on an indigenous culture in the Amazon rainforest, there's a really good chance that we won't recognize the beings or the tools that they're using and this could go on for centuries without our knowledge.

Have we found them? If we had, what are the chances that the US Gub'mint could keep that a secret? This is the same government that couldn't keep Prism / Gulf of Tonkin / Iran-Contra / Watergate / the overthrow of Mossadegh / etc a secret, but it's going to manage to keep the greatest secret in human history?

We've lit the wick on hundreds of atomic bombs in the American southwest, and that may well be interesting to interstellar visitors. There certainly aren't as many witnesses in the south Pacific, rural Kazakhstan, Lop Nor or the Sahara, where the USA, USSR, UK, China and France have popped most of theirs. Why this area (and the Sahara and the Gobi, etc) is a desolate wasteland may also be rooted in some pre-historic event that we don't even know about. Or perhaps aliens are conducting a battle damage assessment from when they flung that meteor at Flagstaff.

I like that scientists and astronomers are looking into this, but I don't hold my breath that we'll find anything that we recognize as intelligent life in our lifetimes. It's out there, but space is ****ing huge.

As for PHX? Good weather. The women are ****ing spectacular. I'm still on the fence with all the sand-colored houses. We've got all the amenities of a big city. A lot of people aren't from here, which is weird. The "local culture" is lacking, and I'm hard-pressed to entertain guests for more than about a day without driving all over the valley (there's not really "THAT" neighborhood here).

Petes2424, welcome to the desert. As a transplanted Stars fan who moved to Glendale this year, I highly recommend putting the Leafs aside in favor of the local team. I put the NHL aside entirely in favor of German soccer and Korean baseball/soccer/hockey (yes, Korean hockey) while I've lived overseas and didn't miss it at all ... far more interesting and enjoyable to be a part of the community of local sports than to be that one guy who sits at home watching the Leafs play on satellite TV. Obviously you're not in Phoenix proper, so attending games will be tricky, but the point still stands ... try it, you'll like it. I still cruise over to see what's happening in forum=44 occasionally, but I don't really miss the green team in Texas at all.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
1) I have for a long time found it absurd to think there is no life anywhere but life that originated on Earth.

2) I find it equally absurd to think that any beings from other worlds are visiting Earth or flying into Earths atmosphere in space ships.

I'm not going to change either opinion. Even if some wack job in a UFO landed in the Coyotes parking lot, walked up to me to tell me "So you think it is absurd I am here from another world visiting Earth?" I'd tell him "Yeah, I think you were really absurd to come all this way here. And I don't like your jersey. What the hell is a Nuckleleaf?"

:naughty:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Alien talk is funny to me.

Military test bases are way out in the desert because military aircraft testing / training is always loud, occasionally dangerous, often toxic/radioactive and always unpleasant for civilians to be near. Highly recommend you East Valley folks drive out to Luke AFB when the new F-35's come on line and start flying next year. The engines at Sky Harbor are designed to be efficient and as quiet as possible. The engines on fighter jets are designed to defy the laws of physics, because Sir Isaac Newton will get you killed in combat.

Is there alien life out there? Absolutely.

Have they found us? Decent chance. But just like using American satellites to spy on an indigenous culture in the Amazon rainforest, there's a really good chance that we won't recognize the beings or the tools that they're using and this could go on for centuries without our knowledge.

Have we found them? If we had, what are the chances that the US Gub'mint could keep that a secret? This is the same government that couldn't keep Prism / Gulf of Tonkin / Iran-Contra / Watergate / the overthrow of Mossadegh / etc a secret, but it's going to manage to keep the greatest secret in human history?

We've lit the wick on hundreds of atomic bombs in the American southwest, and that may well be interesting to interstellar visitors. There certainly aren't as many witnesses in the south Pacific, rural Kazakhstan, Lop Nor or the Sahara, where the USA, USSR, UK, China and France have popped most of theirs. Why this area (and the Sahara and the Gobi, etc) is a desolate wasteland may also be rooted in some pre-historic event that we don't even know about. Or perhaps aliens are conducting a battle damage assessment from when they flung that meteor at Flagstaff.

I like that scientists and astronomers are looking into this, but I don't hold my breath that we'll find anything that we recognize as intelligent life in our lifetimes. It's out there, but space is ****ing huge.

As for PHX? Good weather. The women are ****ing spectacular. I'm still on the fence with all the sand-colored houses. We've got all the amenities of a big city. A lot of people aren't from here, which is weird. The "local culture" is lacking, and I'm hard-pressed to entertain guests for more than about a day without driving all over the valley (there's not really "THAT" neighborhood here).

Petes2424, welcome to the desert. As a transplanted Stars fan who moved to Glendale this year, I highly recommend putting the Leafs aside in favor of the local team. I put the NHL aside entirely in favor of German soccer and Korean baseball/soccer/hockey (yes, Korean hockey) while I've lived overseas and didn't miss it at all ... far more interesting and enjoyable to be a part of the community of local sports than to be that one guy who sits at home watching the Leafs play on satellite TV. Obviously you're not in Phoenix proper, so attending games will be tricky, but the point still stands ... try it, you'll like it. I still cruise over to see what's happening in forum=44 occasionally, but I don't really miss the green team in Texas at all.
ha...you're a pretty interesting dude or at least you post like a pretty interesting dude. Anyway, well stated on all accounts, now we just need you to change that avatar and the transformation will be complete.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
ha...you're a pretty interesting dude or at least you post like a pretty interesting dude.

Sin and ck soon to be seen at a Limp Bizkit concert in Coyotes jerseys doing the rollin music video re-enactment in the front frow.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Sin and ck soon to be seen at a Limp Bizkit concert in Coyotes jerseys doing the rollin music video re-enactment in the front frow.
That would require me to have the desire to go see Limp Bizkit...the next concert currently in my queue is Lamb of God...so...yeah.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
That would require me to have the desire to go see Limp Bizkit...the next concert currently in my queue is Lamb of God...so...yeah.
This is like the beer snob who turns up his nose at PBR and insists he ONLY drinks Bud Light ...
now we just need you to change that avatar and the transformation will be complete.
You find me a more perfect hockey player than Jere Lehtinen and I'll change the avatar. Tell Don Maloney about him first, though.
ha...you're a pretty interesting dude or at least you post like a pretty interesting dude.
The latter. I'm mostly just a mouthy drunk and a connoisseur of the Adam Carolla-style rant.
Give me a couple weeks to put some lyrics together and we may well have the perfect musical accompaniment to the "trolloffs" avatars ...

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
This is like the beer snob who turns up his nose at PBR and insists he ONLY drinks Bud Light.
You're not seriously trying to put Lamb of God and Limp Bizkit in the same tier of music are you?! :loony:

Oh and for the record, I'm pretty much a reverse beer snob. The "better" the beer is, the more likely I'm going to think it sucks. Though I think this is primarily rooted in the fact that I drink more for effect than taste. If I wanted taste, I'd just get a Coke.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I just noticed something that blows living up here. Not sure if its the same down in Phoenix, but I was gonna take the plunge yesterday and even buy a hat... I couldn't find one. Guess ill have to go online or wait till I come down for a couple games. I'm actually excited to follow the Coyotes. I'm never not gonna like the Leafs but this is gonna be fun. I thought of going down for the TO game but then I'd catch myself rooting for them to much. It'll be nice to catch teams like the Canucks, Oilers, etc instead. I'm also kind of pumped that ill find new teams to hate. It'll be a change hoping Getzlaf gets busted with six trans hookers instead of Spezza.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I just noticed something that blows living up here. Not sure if its the same down in Phoenix, but I was gonna take the plunge yesterday and even buy a hat... I couldn't find one.
I saw a sweet one yesterday at Just Sports. It was almost all black and was about to make my wallet lighter until I picked it up and realized the brim was like pseudo black snake skin. They freaking ruined it!

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I saw a sweet one yesterday at Just Sports. It was almost all black and was about to make my wallet lighter until I picked it up and realized the brim was like pseudo black snake skin. They freaking ruined it!

That's to funny. I would've done the same.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I've bought all my swag at the Coyotes Den at The Job, so I've never looked into this. Hopefully ownership makes a push to get more merch in more stores and generally increase the "visibility" of the thing.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Came home on my lunch break. Pulled into the garage, lowered the door, walked into the house and the power goes out. Can't heat my food and can't leave to go eat elsewhere. Poses an interesting dilemma for this type one diabetic. Can't have carbs without protein. I've only got frozen protein. FML.

#WWMDD? What would Max Domi do?

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
Came home on my lunch break. Pulled into the garage, lowered the door, walked into the house and the power goes out. Can't heat my food and can't leave to go eat elsewhere. Poses an interesting dilemma for this type one diabetic. Can't have carbs without protein. I've only got frozen protein. FML.

I'm going to guess in a situation like this it wouldn't do any good to pass or shoot so I'll say he'd check something.

Oddly, I went out to check the mail about an hour ago and heard a louder than normal noise coming from the laundry room. Went in and realized it was coming from the old fridge we have there. Checked the insides, and the stuff in the freezer was thawed & the thermometer I have in there read 55 degrees. Was sometime last night last time I was in there. Guess 25 year old fridges don't last like they used to. Lucky I only had about $80 worth of food in it, which I'm going to have to chuck now.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Back to alien talk for just a second.

News today says Voyager space craft has left the solar system. It launched in 1977 (36 years ago) and it's averaging 35,000 mph. Mach 1 is the speed of sound. F-16 fighter jets cruise about 0.8 and sprint about 1.5 Mach. Record for atmospheric flight is a little above Mach 3 (American SR-71 Blackbird spyplane). Voyager is doing roughly Mach 45.

However, Voyager won't get to the next star for another 40,000 years.

Carry on ...

pacerhimself

Mar 17, 2012

It's easy to open garage doors - unlatch the carriage and lift the door. Back out, lower the door and relatch it and leave through the front door.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad