OT: Living in Arizona (and aliens)

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Back to alien talk for just a second.

News today says Voyager space craft has left the solar system. It launched in 1977 (36 years ago) and it's averaging 35,000 mph. Mach 1 is the speed of sound. F-16 fighter jets cruise about 0.8 and sprint about 1.5 Mach. Record for atmospheric flight is a little above Mach 3 (American SR-71 Blackbird spyplane). Voyager is doing roughly Mach 45.

However, Voyager won't get to the next star for another 40,000 years.

Carry on ...

When the alien life finds the Voyager spacecraft, they'll have to contend with playing a phonograph record.

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/goldenrec.html

golden_record_cover.gif

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Came home on my lunch break. Pulled into the garage, lowered the door, walked into the house and the power goes out. Can't heat my food and can't leave to go eat elsewhere. Poses an interesting dilemma for this type one diabetic. Can't have carbs without protein. I've only got frozen protein. FML.

#WWMDD? What would Max Domi do?

Just pop a couple eggs on the sidewalk.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I just saw a very strange light in the Western sky a few minutes ago here at my house in Gilbert. I saw a light that almost looked like a shooting star burning up, except it kept making slow curlicue patterns in the sky for about 2 minutes before the object (which I assume is a flare) appeared to stop burning, turned blue and seemed to fall towards the ground.

I know what I'm describing sounds very odd, but I legitimately think it was a falling flare. It looked really cool though.

Last edited:

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I just saw a very strange light in the Western sky a few minutes ago here at my house in Gilbert. I saw a light that almost looked like a shooting star burning up, except it kept making slow curlicue patterns in the sky for about 2 minutes before the object (which I assume is a flare) appeared to stop burning, turned blue and seemed to fall towards the ground.

I know what I'm describing sounds very odd, but I legitimately think it was a falling flare. It looked really cool though.

I am happy this thread has mostly turned into aliens. maybe I should try to get ghosts added to :sarcasm: Anyone ever been to Jerome or Bisbee? Maybe even a place close by? I am very interested in paranormal events and would like to be creeped out by unexplained happenings. Please feel free to share a ghost story or two. :)

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be

that was Lats star falling..

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
And it's great if you are a hippie or from California.

There are lots of hippies but they are easy to ignore with all of the wine drinking and gazing at incredible and dramatically unique, utterly striking vistas.

I would never recommend someone go ONLY to Jerome. You've got to do the wine tour in Cottonwood also, and Oak Creek Village and Sedona too. They're all right there, and each has some cool stuff worth checking out. If you are into local booze and fatty food as much as I am.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I am happy this thread has mostly turned into aliens. maybe I should try to get ghosts added to :sarcasm: Anyone ever been to Jerome or Bisbee? Maybe even a place close by? I am very interested in paranormal events and would like to be creeped out by unexplained happenings. Please feel free to share a ghost story or two. :)

Please encourage ghost talk. Love that stuff.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Please encourage ghost talk. Love that stuff.

I like to watch Ghost Adventures and they have done episodes of the Copper Queen (Bisbee) and Jerome Grand Hotel (obviously Jerome).

Before I have even watched the Copper Queen episode I have heard ghost tales. The one that I can remember the most is that my wife her family spent the night there. When they returned home there was talk about how its not real and that all everything is made up. The main person saying it and provoking was suddenly scared pale. The fork they were holding bent backwards towards them. The man dropped the utensil and after it hit the ground it flew across the room.

True or not its a creepy story that I believe to be true. Also, there is no doubt about the happenings that happen at the Copper Queen...and around Bisbee

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
The tourist cheese in Roswell, NM is just as cheesy as you imagine.

Depending on the details of your particular imagination, maybe cheesier.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
The tourist cheese in Roswell, NM is just as cheesy as you imagine.

Depending on the details of your particular imagination, maybe cheesier.

I'm lactose intolerant, so I guess that means it's a no-go for me. That's too bad too, cuz I've always been fascinated by Roswell.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
I like to watch Ghost Adventures and they have done episodes of the Copper Queen (Bisbee) and Jerome Grand Hotel (obviously Jerome).
The thing that ruins that kind of show, and I've never seen one that didn't do this, is the fact that the ghosties are able to make all kinds of noises, move objects, and appear before unwary persons, but never, ever, ever do they perform these feats when there's a camera rolling and some a-hole is asking them why they aren't all the way dead. You would think, after hundreds-if-not-thousands of hours of "ghost hunter"-style programming, one of these poor spirits would be sufficiently ornery that it would just haul off and sock a guy. Or bean somebody with an ashtray thrown from across the room. Or give somebody a wedgie. Or, if all that's too taxing, simply pick up a pencil and leave the "investigators" a brief note asking them to mind their own business, or telling them to go F themselves.

Because making noises, moving objects, and appearing in mirrors all require energy. Not the woo-woo energy they talk about on the shows, but real, kinetic, (1/2)mv^2 energy. If you are able to slam doors and push people down a flight of stairs, or if you can bend a fork while a person is holding it, it stands to reason that you can draw a great big wiener on the ceiling while a camera records it for posterity. If you can whisper a person's name in his ear, you can whisper the F-word into a microphone. It's probably easier, in fact, since the latter word consists of only one syllable, while many names contain two or more. What would really impress me is a poetry reading, or multiple spirits pretending to engage in phone sex.

To my knowledge, none of this has ever occurred. My interest has waned. But I will continue to watch Ghost Mine, because they do a fine job of keeping that lovely lady investigator's figure in the frame for as long as possible.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
The thing that ruins that kind of show, and I've never seen one that didn't do this, is the fact that the ghosties are able to make all kinds of noises, move objects, and appear before unwary persons, but never, ever, ever do they perform these feats when there's a camera rolling and some a-hole is asking them why they aren't all the way dead. You would think, after hundreds-if-not-thousands of hours of "ghost hunter"-style programming, one of these poor spirits would be sufficiently ornery that it would just haul off and sock a guy. Or bean somebody with an ashtray thrown from across the room. Or give somebody a wedgie. Or, if all that's too taxing, simply pick up a pencil and leave the "investigators" a brief note asking them to mind their own business, or telling them to go F themselves.

Actually if you watch their first show the documentary a brick gets thrown at them. They get video analyzed by experts and prove it is authentic. Another good one to watch is when they visit Bob Mackies Music World.

I have seen TAPS and the other ghost shows but I believe Ghost Adventures to be the most real. Simply because there are episodes where they don't find anything. So you spend half an hour watching guys taunt air. I have also seen Ghost Mine but I feel that even though there are some real activity (the shadow standing behind the drillers), I also feel that the show may try to lead viewers into making something seem bigger than it is (the mountain shifting when they were playing cards at camp).

As far as leaving notes and drawing wieners...I think noises, voices, moving objects, and slamming doors might be more spooky than a note.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
As far as leaving notes and drawing wieners...I think noises, voices, moving objects, and slamming doors might be more spooky than a note.
Spookier than watching an invisible hand draw a rude cartoon on the ceiling? I don't think so. Because moving objects, slamming doors, that's old news. I'd go so far as to say that if doors are getting slammed, you may assume you're not dealing with a terribly creative spirit. But if he chooses to tell you what he thinks of you by getting in front of your camera and exploring the metaphorical potentialities of the phallus-as-commentary through the medium of magic marker and six square feet of virgin plaster--there's no telling what he's capable of.

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Spookier than watching an invisible hand draw a rude cartoon on the ceiling? I don't think so. Because moving objects, slamming doors, that's old news. I'd go so far as to say that if doors are getting slammed, you may assume you're not dealing with a terribly creative spirit. But if he chooses to tell you what he thinks of you by getting in front of your camera and exploring the metaphorical potentialities of the phallus-as-commentary through the medium of magic marker and six square feet of virgin plaster--there's no telling what he's capable of.

Who knows, could be capable of being next GawDaum Charles Shulz. Or it could actually be Charles Chulz!

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
I'm lactose intolerant, so I guess that means it's a no-go for me. That's too bad too, cuz I've always been fascinated by Roswell.
It wasn't BAD, it was just kinda low-rent. I didn't "travel to" Roswell ... I was driving to Texas for work and had about 36 more hours than I really needed to do it, so I detoured all over N Arizona / New Mexico. I enjoyed a 2-hour detour to Roswell but wouldn't travel there as its own trip. The drive from Albuquerque to Roswell was surreal ... one of the most desolate stretches of highway I've ever seen.

If that movie "Pulse" ever happens and monsters start popping out of our wifi networks and killing us, I'm headed to that desert, because I didn't have a signal on my phone for more than an hour.

The streetlights were shaped like alien heads and there were lots of little dolls sitting in storefronts / lots of bad puns all around town. The "International UFO research center" or something was neat but it was shoestring. Apart from that, Roswell is just a standard farm town ... not a lot to it.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!

Haha. Too much mumbo jumbo for me.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I can't stop thinking about what would happen if a cartoon of a Johnson appeared on a Ghost show. It would be hilarious to see the people react to a highly detailed drawing of a schlong. Then they would have some old guy with a PHD explain the etchings, and the shape of the ceiling penis.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
2014 NHL Alien Mock Draft
v2

01) CAL -- Superman (Superman) ... 10A, generational talent; future Gordie Howe
02) NJD -- Optimus Prime (Transformers) ... all the physical tools, but uncomfortable with his physicality
03) COL -- Commander Spock (Star Trek) ... cerebral playmaker
04) EDM -- Yoda (Star Wars) ... physically limited, but TGO-like playmaker
05) BUF -- Klingon Warrior (Star Trek) ... all-action power forward
06) WIN -- Kitty (Cocoon) ... smooth, slick skater with soft hands
07) TOR -- ET (ET) ... heart-and-soul player
08) MON -- The Yauta (Predator) ... all-around monster
09) CBJ -- Lord Nibbler (Futurama) ... cannon shot, powerplay machine
10) FLA -- The Aliens (Independence Day) ... fast and physical, but limited defensive awareness
11) PHI -- Ewok (Star Wars) ... clever, crafty defender; excellent on the penalty kill
12) OTT -- The Monster (Cloverfield) ... overwhelming power forward; ideal PP slot man
13) ANA -- Jabba The Hutt (Star Wars) ... monstrous stay-at-home D
14) NYR -- NTI (The Abyss) ... elusive, puck-moving defenseman
15) CAR -- Chewbacca (Star Wars) ... tremendous size and physicality; questionable decision-making
16) DET -- ALF (ALF) ... skilled with the puck, but lacks killer instinct near the net
17) MIN -- The Na'vi (Avatar) ... tremendous physical specimens; limited skating ability in open ice
18) NYI -- Invader Zim (Looney Toons) ... scrappy over-achiever
19) TBL -- The Bugs (Starship Troopers) ... hyper aggressive hitters with poor instincts
20) VAN -- Conehead (Coneheads) ... Sean Avery clone
21) WAS -- The Martians (Mars Attacks) ... one-dimensional scorer
22) SJS -- Prawn (District 9) ... cerebral defender prone to being dominated physically
23) NAS -- Leeloo (5th Element) ... natural reflex goaltender prone to mental lapses with the puck
24) STL -- The Clowns (Killer Klowns From Outer Space) -- undersized forward with a knack for garbage goals
25) DAL -- Lord Kinbote (X-Files) ... late riser with great tools but limited game film; might not be real
26) LAK -- Professor Zoidberg (Futurama) ... talented scorer prone to mental lapses
27) BOS -- Jar-Jar Binks (Star Wars) ... grating, 4th line energy guy
28) CHI -- Zaphod Beeblebrox (Hitchhikers Guide ...) ... overaged goaltender with an all-around game
29) PIT -- Marvin The Martian (Looney Toons) ... undersized, two-way scrapper
30) PHX -- The Giant Plant (Little Shop Of Horrors) ... massive physical d-man with limited mobility

Notable Undrafteds:
Bantha (Star Wars monster)
Kang (The Simpsons)
Kodos (The Simpsons)
Edgar (Men In Black)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad