OT: Living in Arizona (and aliens)

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
My first supervisor in the USAF in 1984 got a "classified" assignment to Nellis AFB outside of Las Vegas. We were working nuclear missile security at the time so I imagine he was doing some sort of security for Area 51.

When my mom was in the Air Force in the 80's, she was assigned to work on a base near Area 51. When she tried to research information about the base, she realized that the base that they told her she was going to be assigned at didn't actually exist, so she assumed she was going to be stationed at Area 51. However, her assignment ended up being cancelled and she was stationed in Texas instead.

Edit: Wow! Literally 10 minutes after I posted this, the top trending topic on Yahoo News is the CIA officially acknowledging the existence of Area 51, for the 1st. time in U.S. history.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/08/16/area-51-cia/2663829/
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/15/us/area-51-documents

Last edited:

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Im new out here. Been out about a year but I guess just like anything or anywhere else, it has it's hits and misses...

The food is different. Like real pizza, Italian or greek foods... Things back east that are taken for granted, out here you have to find.. and I mean search to find...

The nights are great, especially in the spring or fall. The stars are crazy. Im not in Phoenix but actually up in Lake Powell, so it's a bit different. It is hotter than I'd like but hey, you get used to wherever you're at.

The people are different. Maybe a little more reserved but definitely nicer. Cant really find another word for it. The women by far take care of themselves more...

It's going to be interesting to really follow another team closely. In this time zone last year, I found myself watching a ton of Oilers, Flames, Coyotes and Canucks games. I'm a Leafs fan and will always be. I lived in Windsor for a long time and had tix to the Wings for years. So even though Im a die hard Leafs fan, I was able to root for the Wings in the West and really enjoyed watching those teams. With that changing Im going to really try and follow another team out west. It's not the easiest thing catching games that start at 4 or 5... I honestly dont think it could be the Flames as I already want to throw Feaster through a chipper and I honestly despise the Sedins so that's probably not happening. Being involved in hockey for so many years, it's nice to really just watch and enjoy. It's also nice to talk hockey with actual real hockey people. It's not the easiest things on these boards. What I have found, is the fans of the Coyotes, as small as they may be on these boards, are probably more hockey intelligent than most other fan bases. Most of them I assume are transplants who love the game enough to really seek out other like individuals. That said, hope you guys dont mind if I throw my two cents in here and there. Im gonna have some fun with the sport this year. Hell, I might even buy a hat at some point but will definitely make my way down for a few games...

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
I'm a Leafs fan and will always be. I lived in Windsor for a long time and had tix to the Wings for years. So even though Im a die hard Leafs fan, I was able to root for the Wings in the West and really enjoyed watching those teams.

BOOOOOO!

That said, hope you guys dont mind if I throw my two cents in here and there.

Plenty of people here putting their 2 pennies in. Look forward to seeing your perspective.

You know you want to howl.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
What I have found, is the fans of the Coyotes, as small as they may be on these boards, are probably more hockey intelligent than most other fan bases. Most of them I assume are transplants who love the game enough to really seek out other like individuals. That said, hope you guys dont mind if I throw my two cents in here and there. Im gonna have some fun with the sport this year. Hell, I might even buy a hat at some point but will definitely make my way down for a few games...

There are some very hockey smart coyotes fans. I not being one of them but I hope to learn from them.

I think you would be surprised at how many of us are not transplants. I grew up here and played ice hockey. Hockey is a great sport and I hope you enjoy the Coyotes more than those other teams. Converted transplants are awesome. I wish there was more of them.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
There are some very hockey smart coyotes fans. I not being one of them but I hope to learn from them.

I think you would be surprised at how many of us are not transplants. I grew up here and played ice hockey. Hockey is a great sport and I hope you enjoy the Coyotes more than those other teams. Converted transplants are awesome. I wish there was more of them.

Well Im gonna have fun with it. Some of the best people I met in hockey were the two years I spent in Southern California, which isnt known for their hockey either. I spent quite a lot of time involved in the bantam drafts for the Windsor Spitfires and did a lot in California helping place some of their kids on different clubs. Not so much in Arizona back in the day but I did do some Bantam and junior scouting for my friend both when he was an agent and when he worked for the Coyotes. I have to say I was surprised at that time how many natives (not the indian kind) actually really do follow the sport. I've been out of the whole thing since the 09' Nationals, so it's fun to actually talk about hockey with people. There's not a lot of hockey people up here... lol... I just love boating so here I am..

I seen how there's a thread of people talking about new jerseys and logos, etc. Are they actually thinking of doing that when they change the name over? Out of all the newer jerseys I think the Coyotes hit in on the head with their black jersey. I have to say, i wouldnt change a thing with those. I mean look at those new roller jerseys the Stars are going to wear. Not sure who comes up with half of these.

Anyway, it will be fun. The Coyotes have a really nice mix of young guys who have really bright futures.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The people are different. Maybe a little more reserved but definitely nicer. Cant really find another word for it.

When you in a place with a high transplant population, you'll come across all sorts of people and it will even take time for some of the newcomers to come out of their shell.
The women by far take care of themselves more...

As far as the body goes or everything in general?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
When you in a place with a high transplant population, you'll come across all sorts of people and it will even take time for some of the newcomers to come out of their shell.

As far as the body goes or everything in general?

Not to sound completely sexist, but yea, the body. Im 40 and I've been dating the 25-30 year old crowd but hell here, I can hook up with a 40 year old and not feel like Im punching my ticket to the buffet line on a Princess Cruise...

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Not to sound completely sexist, but yea, the body. Im 40 and I've been dating the 25-30 year old crowd but hell here, I can hook up with a 40 year old and not feel like Im punching my ticket to the buffet line on a Princess Cruise...

We can thank Southern California for being a big contributor in that area. :laugh: If anything it's alot eaiser to take care of your body in a places like Phoenix and Tucson as the weather is more ideal all year round and the products needed to help take care of ones self is cheaper.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
We can thank Southern California for being a big contributor in that area. :laugh: If anything it's alot eaiser to take care of your body in a places like Phoenix and Tucson as the weather is more ideal all year round and the products needed to help take care of ones self is cheaper.

Right... Once again not to sound sexist or anything but I grew up in hockey rinks and bars and that's exactly where our women end up post 30.. Pop out a few kids, divorce, sign your kid up for hockey and hang out at the bar within the rink looking for juniors ice time. And they wonder why they end up looking like Rosie O'Donnell, hating the world and age like a drunken sailor...

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Right... Once again not to sound sexist or anything but I grew up in hockey rinks and bars and that's exactly where our women end up post 30.. Pop out a few kids, divorce, sign your kid up for hockey and hang out at the bar within the rink looking for juniors ice time. And they wonder why they end up looking like Rosie O'Donnell, hating the world and age like a drunken sailor...

I grew up in a place where ones body shape depends more on how much money the family or the individual has because the way of life is so expensive and it doesn't help when seasons actually happen. If anything I noticed more people who move to places like AZ based on the idea that the grass is greener on the other side that they're able to take care of their bodies better.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
I seen how there's a thread of people talking about new jerseys and logos, etc. Are they actually thinking of doing that when they change the name over? Out of all the newer jerseys I think the Coyotes hit in on the head with their black jersey. I have to say, i wouldnt change a thing with those. I mean look at those new roller jerseys the Stars are going to wear. Not sure who comes up with half of these.
The new owners, Gosbee and LeBlanc, have basically said the current primary Coyotes logo is one of the best in sports. That logo won't be going anywhere. As far as jerseys go, LeBlanc said "We haven't decided but I would expect, at minimum, some subtle changes."

I agree with you. I love the Coyotes alt jersey. Replacing the full-body coyote logo on that black jersey with the primary logo and promoting the jersey from alternate to home sounds great to me. But eh, I've heard complaints about there already being too many home jerseys in the NHL with black as the base color.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I grew up in a place where ones body shape depends more on how much money the family or the individual has because the way of life is so expensive and it doesn't help when seasons actually happen. If anything I noticed more people who move to places like AZ based on the idea that the grass is greener on the other side that they're able to take care of their bodies better.

It's just like cars... People actually wash them out here in the winter. I think back there, they all try to stay in shape or wash their cars in the winter but it just gets to easy not to. There's an expectancy to do it out here whether its to stay in shape, keep that car clean, etc. Once you're in the routine, it just becomes part of everyday.. I meet all kinds of different women here and I ask them what they're interested in... To a penny they all say, "hiking" "working out", etc.... I used to think they were lying... and I'd tell them it's ok to pound a beer, throw out an f bomb or eat a damn steak.. Mistake number one... They become the Sarnia stripper looking lady much faster than you would expect..

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The new owners, Gosbee and LeBlanc, have basically said the current primary Coyotes logo is one of the best in sports. That logo won't be going anywhere. As far as jerseys go, LeBlanc said "We haven't decided but I would expect, at minimum, some subtle changes."

I agree with you. I love the Coyotes alt jersey. Replacing the full-body coyote logo on that black jersey with the primary logo and promoting the jersey from alternate to home sounds great to me. But eh, I've heard complaints about there already being too many home jerseys in the NHL with black as the base color.

The Coyotes one actually works though.. Teams like Carolina, Philly and Chicago, that's just stupid. Let's just use black to sell a few jerseys. The blend of color is great with Phoenix.. I do think the big head instead of the whole animal looks better too btw...

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Phoenix doesn't make the overall Top 10 list for worst drivers. The city came in at #71 overall. However, in terms of ranking the cities by Top 10 overall population, Phoenix comes in at #1 for worst drivers.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/top-10-u-cities-worst-drivers-show-little-152123985.html
Without details on how Allstate analyzed their claim data, this article is worthless. It's just more fear mongering from the one trick pony that is our media these days.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Phoenix doesn't make the overall Top 10 list for worst drivers. The city came in at #71 overall. However, in terms of ranking the cities by Top 10 overall population, Phoenix comes in at #1 for worst drivers.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/top-10-u-cities-worst-drivers-show-little-152123985.html

From my experience living in different areas both in Canada and the States, by far, the dumbest, most annoying drivers were in Denver. They would drive 12 mph in the fast lane, then you'd flip em off, then they'd wave. The problem was it wasn't your ny fu wave. They were seriously being nice as in saying hi, good morning.

Canadian truck drivers. They'll cut you off no matter the situation. LA, best drivers by far. I attest it to having to drive defensively. Worst drivers in a Country? Puerto Rico. Absolutely nuts. Ukraine was pretty bad but I'm thinking that was alcohol related.

Where I'm at in Arizona, you get the occasional 12 yr old injun driving an F350 20 MPH on a two lane road that pisses in your Cheerios but overall we have zero traffic.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
From my experience living in different areas both in Canada and the States, by far, the dumbest, most annoying drivers were in Denver. They would drive 12 mph in the fast lane, then you'd flip em off, then they'd wave. The problem was it wasn't your ny fu wave. They were seriously being nice as in saying hi, good morning.

Canadian truck drivers. They'll cut you off no matter the situation. LA, best drivers by far. I attest it to having to drive defensively. Worst drivers in a Country? Puerto Rico. Absolutely nuts. Ukraine was pretty bad but I'm thinking that was alcohol related.

Where I'm at in Arizona, you get the occasional 12 yr old injun driving an F350 20 MPH on a two lane road that pisses in your Cheerios but overall we have zero traffic.

People driving too slow in the fast lanes here are way more common than you think and the same with cutting off drivers. The worst wth regards to cutting off drivers happens when drivers are trying to get on the highway and the dickheads here refuse to let them on. Not to mention if an accident happens as a result of the people on the highway refusing to merge over or give common courtesy to others by slowing down tso others can get on it's leagally the fault of the driver trying to get on the highway.

It's a number of other things they do here that are quite stupid and common as well:

No turn signals before turning.
Jumping out into your lane without looking into their mirror or blind spot.
Taking on average 5-6 seconds for drivers to start turning left in the left hand lane when they got the arrow and no one else is in the intersection.

I could go more but the truth is the driving here is so bad in Phoenix that not only will the police here refuse to enforce all of the traffic laws but also the area is often ranked in the top 5 for road rage.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
I have lived in the AZ and GA...Arizona is waaaaaay better at driving than Georgia and Florida. Just thinking about driving on any where off the interstate around there makes me frustrated.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
"@abc15: We're getting lots of reports of a bright object in the sky. We're checking to confirm it's a weather balloon. #abc15 http://t.co/gFB4p2EGjT"

Pretty bright

"@abc15: Here's a great shot from Aaron Riley of the weather balloon above the Valley. http://t.co/Qh2wNsHzrA"

Last edited:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
"@abc15: We're getting lots of reports of a bright object in the sky. We're checking to confirm it's a weather balloon. #abc15 http://t.co/gFB4p2EGjT"

Pretty bright

"@abc15: Here's a great shot from Aaron Riley of the weather balloon above the Valley. http://t.co/Qh2wNsHzrA"

It's either a weather balloon, or an interstellar warship piloted by the reptilian overlords of the horsehead nebula.

I think it's the second one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad