OT: Living in Arizona (and aliens)

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Surprised the Vorlons went undrafted. I can understand why their stock would fall since they passed beyond the Rim, but they had a planet-killer, for Pete's sake. That's gotta be good for at least 30/50/80.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Currently killing 8 minutes waiting for the Marble Brewery Taphouse to open in Santa Fe ...

Drove into town last night from the south at 2-3am. 50 mile drive with zero development, street lights or other cars. Stopped to pee halfway, killed the headlights and was FLOORED by how many stars there are in the mountains / away from the city. FLOORED. Awesome drive. If I wasn't so confident there were 4-legged carnivores out there, I'd have stopped and camped right there. But I will be back. Temp fell from 85 in Dallas yesterday to 33 in Santa Fe last night.

Visited the museum of Indian art and history and spent a hot minute staring at the kachina art. The pre-TGO Coyotes jerseys are still ugly as sin, but some of the little dolls / figurines / masks are growing on me. Lots of this stuff in stores in downtown Santa Fe, which is similar to Sedona, but maybe a little less pretentious.

Ooo ... time for craft beer. Santa Fe. Talk it up.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Currently killing 8 minutes waiting for the Marble Brewery Taphouse to open in Santa Fe ...
Indian art is amazing. In a certain conference room at Northern Arizona, they have--used to have?--huge wall cabinets full of authentic kachinas, baskets, and woven goods associated with tribes in the region. I could stare at it for hours. Spellbinding stuff. The knock-offs for sale at tourist-trap curio shops doesn't even come close.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
Next vacation: back to Flagstaff
If you're looking to make the most of your time, skip the U and go to the Museum of Northern Arizona. Linky linky. While museum is (to my knowledge) independent of the university, there is a degree of cross-pollination, if you will.

I should confess that I've never actually been to the museum; but based on what I know about the university and your interests, it's the logical choice of the two.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
If you're looking to make the most of your time, skip the U and go to the Museum of Northern Arizona. Linky linky. While museum is (to my knowledge) independent of the university, there is a degree of cross-pollination, if you will.

I should confess that I've never actually been to the museum; but based on what I know about the university and your interests, it's the logical choice of the two.
Going tomorrow ... I'll let you know how it goes.

Brewpub selection in Flagstaff is phenomenal; 5 or 6 places all within walking distance downtown. Went to Beaver Street and Lumberyard when I was driving through a few weeks ago, will check out another two for lunch tomorrow. I really like Four Peaks (their Koelsch style is the truth), but I wish we had a bit more local beer here in PHX. Even Tucson has us beat with room to spare, and living in West Glendale, it's almost faster to drive to Flagstaff than it is to make it to one of the Four Peaks spots in Tempe/Scottsdale.

Visited Fresh & Easy today for the first time ... not a bad spot. Slightly better selection of vegetables than the usual store, and lots of microwave-and-eat prepared meals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad