GDT: LIVE NHL Draft 2022, Day 2 -- NO SPOILERS

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I think given the volume of prospects we've acquired over the last two seasons, it'd be a mistake to use all 4 of our picks in the first 41. I'm hoping at least one is used for immediate improvement given the volume of immediate issues we need to resolve.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

“There’s a chance you’re getting just as good a player at nine as you’re getting at four or five,” Forton said last Thursday in Buffalo. “So we’re really excited about a group of players in that range. If you even get higher in the draft, that’s a great thing to do from my perspective. It takes some of the risk out of it, I guess.

“But I think it’s pretty deep right down to 20, 25, 30 on our list.”

Reactions: elchud

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Potentially exciting news!

Elliot Friedman on SiriusXM said again this morning (he mentioned it yesterday or the day prior as wel) that the Sabres are among the teams who are willing to take on other team's contracts with a sweetener.

This is very encouraging in terms of getting even more picks/prospects. And if that happens, some of those assets would just further increase the chances that we can be more aggressive in trading up not only once, but perhaps multiple times in the draft.

That's adding even more excitement to the already great position of having 4 picks in the top 41. Fingers crossed this actually happens! :DD

Reactions: elchud and KeepKane

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Honestly there's a good chance he'd be there at 28.
Ok. If the Sabres like him enough, I think they’ll take him at 16 per some reports. Adams showed last year hes not afraid to take Russians and it makes sense with how much depth we have to stash prospects over there while still maintaining long term control over them

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Potentially exciting news!

Elliot Friedman on SiriusXM said again this morning (he mentioned it yesterday or the day prior as wel) that the Sabres are among the teams who are willing to take on other team's contracts with a sweetener.

This is very encouraging in terms of getting even more picks/prospects. And if that happens, some of those assets would just further increase the chances that we can be more aggressive in trading up not only once, but perhaps multiple times in the draft.

That's adding even more excitement to the already great position of having 4 picks in the top 41. Fingers crossed this actually happens! :DD

Why would anyone get excited that we have become a cap dump team?

We have enough picks and prospects. We need NHL players, not cap dumps.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Looking forward to a busy 1st round for the Sabres. So many options but I hope the general takeaway is speed and transition players. However, after the clinic the Avs put on with their cup run I am guessing the rest of the NHL GMs took note, and speed and transition players will be valued across the board. Also, RHD and G seem like the only two real 'needs' the Sabres will want to add to their prospect pool so I hope those are addressed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

BUFFALO SABRES: RIGHT SHOT DEFENSE​

First Draft Choice: Round 1, 9th Overall

The Buffalo Sabres are poised to have a massive impact on day one of the draft with selections at 9, 16, and 28. They have a lot of prospects - and good ones at that - due to the fact that they’ve been drafting quite high for a few years now, so they shouldn’t go hunting for any specific player. The 2022 NHL draft class has some very intriguing right-shot defenders though, the one hole that seems to be in Buffalo’s system, so they will be able to stay patient. The advantage of having the three picks in the first round is that it gives them license to swing on one of Seamus Casey, Mattias Hävelid, Ty Nelson, Ryan Chesley, or Tristan Luneau, but still not feel forced to jump up if one or two get taken. Buffalo is in a good spot to keep building.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
No russian please
giphy.gif

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Why would anyone get excited that we have become a cap dump team?

We have enough picks and prospects. We need NHL players, not cap dumps.

Weaponizing cap space to gain assets is fine given we realistically couldn't spend all the cap space we have even if we wanted to. The issue, of course, continues to be: Can the front office effectively turn draft capital into NHL players? They haven't yet.

This. Enjoy tonight... But get me a starting goalie plus a top 4 RHD & I'm happy.

I'd be shocked if we left today with one new roster player. Likely just going to use all 3 picks. Maybe tomorrow though?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Love your heart picks, the head picks suck.
I feel the opposite.

Kisakov, Novikov, and Mintyukov were on the same Moscow Dynamo team two years ago.

I wonder if Mintyukov is an under the radar guy that the Sabres could be looking at if he is there at 16?
You would have to take him at 9.

Reactions: Chainshot

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I think given the volume of prospects we've acquired over the last two seasons, it'd be a mistake to use all 4 of our picks in the first 41. I'm hoping at least one is used for immediate improvement given the volume of immediate issues we need to resolve.

Hooked on Tim Murray worked for me!

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Weaponizing cap space to gain assets is fine given we realistically couldn't spend all the cap space we have even if we wanted to. The issue, of course, continues to be: Can the front office effectively turn draft capital into NHL players? They haven't yet.

I'd be shocked if we left today with one new roster player. Likely just going to use all 3 picks. Maybe tomorrow though?
Of course. I don't expect it tonight - just by the time they're playing again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad