Rumor: List a rumoured trade your team almost made

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Ovy for Pacioretty Subban Price and pick
Lecavalier for Halak Gorges Higgins Plekanec if I remember correctly

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Drouin for Stattenkirk. Kirk didn't extend, Lightning kept Drouin and had to settle for Sergachev :)

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I remember hearing a Keith Tkachuk for Milan Kraft trade that was shut down at the last minute because Craig Patrick liked Kraft's upside or something.

That one seems a little hard to believe unless they were going all-in on the 2000-01 season. Penguins unloaded Jagr's contract after that season and Tkachuk signed a 8.3 mil/season extension with St. Louis after he was traded from Phoenix.

While on the subject of the 2001 Tkachuk trade, there were several rumors about him ending up on the Rangers. Allegedly Theo Fleury entering rehab put the kibosh on one of the deals: https://nypost.com/2001/03/13/rangers-seek-deadline-deal-tkachuk-lindros-still-prime-targets/

Pavel Brendl, who has been part of every different package Sather has offered the Coyotes for either Tkachuk or Nikolai Khabibulin – or both – since October, is believed the centerpiece of the Rangers’ latest try at getting the power winger. Two weeks ago, the Blueshirts were poised to send Brendl, Mike York, Kim Johnsson and Fleury to the Coyotes for Tkachuk and Khabibulin when Fleury went into rehab, killing the deal.

The Rangers not only thought they had Tkachuk two weeks ago, and not only also in early October when Phoenix ownership issues scuttled a deal that would have seen Brendl, Fleury, Jamie Lundmark and Mike Richter go to the desert for the power winger and Khabibulin, they thought they had him last year in a three-way deal with Carolina that would have cost Petr Nedved, Radek Dvorak and Manny Malhotra.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Josh Gorges for Cody Franson. Gorges nixed the deal and was dealt to Buffalo.

Reactions: pth2

FraserOtt

Apr 23, 2004
At the 2014 draft, Spezza was almost dealt to Nashville. The Predators were on his 10-team no trade list and he refused to waive it. Nashville ended up acquiring Neal instead and Spezza was dealt a week later to Dallas.

The rumoured return was Hornqvist, Spaling (who were traded for Neal) and the 11th OA pick, which the Preds ultimately used to draft Fiala.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Ovy for Pacioretty Subban Price and pick
Lecavalier for Halak Gorges Higgins Plekanec if I remember correctly

Never heard about the first one and it doesn't sound plausible, but the Habs offer for Lecavalier was laughed at so it's not a deal that was 'almost made'.

I'm glad you didn't post the other rumor though. No one should ever take Lawton seriously when he says Pacioretty Subban & Price were on the table for Lecavalier .
That was his way of getting back at Gainey for chewing him out when he leaked names of Plekanec, Higgins & Gorges to the press.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I believe at the 2014 draft the Avs offered 23rd OA and Parenteau to Pittsburgh for James Neal but the Pens took the Nashville trade instead. There was even a video of the Pens management group saying something along the lines of them acquiring 23rd.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Before the 2009 draft the Islanders almost were forced to trade the first pick to Toronto because Brian Burke wanted it. See 10 years later you got your guy anyway .

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Kaberle and first (Kadri) was the original Kessel deal before the leafs unloaded the farm to Boston.

also Schenn and 1st(Kadri) for Tavares(1OA pick) was rumoured. Not sure this one was ever true.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
According to Brian Burke—at the 2009 draft the Canucks nearly traded Alex Burrows, Kevin Bieksa, and 22nd overall pick for the 2nd overall pick (Victor Hedman).

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
In 2018 I believe, the Wings turned down a Jimmy Howard for Jake Allen trade. I could have it backwards and that St. Louis turned it down, though!

Reactions: Flyer lurker

HolyGhost

May 6, 2016
Buffalo
can we get media links comfirming some of the "near" trades. Some of the trades here seem wishful thinking by some

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Some TOR ones; (some may have been mentioned already)

- Not sure if it was mentioned, but TOR nearly traded a package for Eric Lindros, and then there was talk of doing a Mats Sundin for Rob Blake swap. Lindros deal fell apart, so the latter never happened.

- Not a trade, but Wayne Gretzky and Leafs had a deal done for him to sign as a UFA. Leafs owner at the time stopped it, saying that Gretzky wouldn't put any butts in seats, as they sold out every game anyway. Apparently no one told him about jersey sales. Everyone in Toronto probably would've had a Gretzky jersey. Not to mention the thought of Sundin-Gretzky down the middle.

- Leafs and Oilers were close to a Chris Pronger deal. EDM was asking for Kaberle and Steen as the main parts of the deal, but Leafs would only do Kaberle and Stajan. EDM passed, and about a year later, Steen was traded to St Louis for Lee Stempniak....

- Kaberle was close to being traded to PHI for Jeff Carter and a 1st round pick. Kaberle rejected the deal with his NTC.

- Kaberle for Kessel were nearly swapped. BOS thought they were getting a first, while Burke thought he was getting a first, so the deal died. Later on, Leafs ended up giving BOS 2 1sts and a 2nd for Kessel, and trading them Kaberle for a 1st anyway.

- Leafs were supposed to trade Jonas Hoglund for a draft pick. Fax machine jammed and they didn't get it fixed before the trade deadline passed :laugh:

Not sure the specifics, but it felt like Vinny L was rumored to be coming to us like three different times.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
One that was made and was in the process of getting completed over the summer was Phil Kessel and Jack Johnson to the Wild for Jason Zucker and Victor Rask, all the paper work and trade calls were getting processed until at second zero Phil nixed it by refusing to waive his no trade clause. As everyone else now knows we did in a bizarre roundabout way end up getting Zucker anyways this season.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Kaberle and first (Kadri) was the original Kessel deal before the leafs unloaded the farm to Boston.

also Schenn and 1st(Kadri) for Tavares(1OA pick) was rumoured. Not sure this one was ever true.
if I remember correctly it was Schenn, Kaberle and the 7th overall pick to Tampa Bay for the 2nd overall pick and Malone.... what could have been.

Reactions: Leafs87

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The league nixed Lecavalier + 3OA to the Leafs for future considerations so the Leafs could compliance buy out Lecavalier and Tampa could re-sign him for cheap. Technically legal but against the spirit of the rules.

Reactions: Leafs87

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Vancouver almost traded 5 first round picks and 22 million cash for Gretzky.

Former owner confirms Canucks almost traded for Wayne Gretzky in 1988 | Offside

They also list the 5 guys we got with those picks...it's like we'd have got him for free! Jason Herter, Petr Nedved, Alek Stojanov, Libor Polasek and Mike Wilson. A whole lotta nothing they did for us, in the grand scheme of things.

I just remembered Naslund for Stojanov happened, but that was a bust for a bust, so I can't imagine Stojanov was targeted more then other players. Even if not, still worth it to have Gretzky on our 94 team.

Hedman (prior to officially being drafted 2nd overall) for Bieksa, Burrows and our 1st (Schroeder)

Luongo to Toronto for....either lots or nothing. Kadri, Gardiner and two firsts according to Burke. Hindsight is 20/20 there, Schneider, Gardiner (even with his drop off recently) and Kadri beats the pants off of Markstrom. Thanks, Torts.

Schneider for the 8th overall pick (still Horvat from the sounds of it) + from Edmonton. The + was alleged to be a second and a solid prospect.

Also Maclean, of Columbus, shot down Brule for Schneider.

Buffalo apparently turned down Reinhart for Shinkaruk, our 6th overall and 24th overall pick, which if all went the same way would have been McCann and Virtanen (or Ehlers or Nylander or, or, or...)

A UFA Hamhuis at the 2016 deadline for Dallas' 2nd+.

Subban for Vancouver's 2016 5th overall pick. Rumour has it, the only reason this didn't go through was that Dubois was selected 3rd overall.

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Never heard about the first one and it doesn't sound plausible, but the Habs offer for Lecavalier was laughed at so it's not a deal that was 'almost made'.

I'm glad you didn't post the other rumor though. No one should ever take Lawton seriously when he says Pacioretty Subban & Price were on the table for Lecavalier .
That was his way of getting back at Gainey for chewing him out when he leaked names of Plekanec, Higgins & Gorges to the press.

That was when Ovy was like 22 years old and the Caps had trouble making the playoff, I recall McPhee who said in the time, if the rumor were true, Montreal has put a solid package, but thar was when Pacioretty was still developing in the ahl and we still had Halak

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
The league nixed Lecavalier + 3OA to the Leafs for future considerations so the Leafs could compliance buy out Lecavalier and Tampa could re-sign him for cheap. Technically legal but against the spirit of the rules.

I remember that. Would of been amazing if the leafs landed Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad