Rumor: List a rumoured trade your team almost made

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
Name a trade that your team was rumoured to have about to make but opted out for one reason or another.
I'll start:

Edmonton almost traded Taylor Hall to the Ottawa Senators for Cody Ceci but Ottawa's GM needed to run it by Melnyk who took too long answering his phone.

Ben Bishop was almost an Oiler. Before he was traded to the Lightning, Edmonton offered winger Ryan Jones and a 2nd-4th round pick for goalie Ben Bishop. Instead, the Senators liked Cory Conacher and a 4th rounder better.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Paul Ranger for Claude Giroux. I think the rumor was that Tampa turned it down. If I'm remembering correctly they also turned down a swap for Gomez.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Zucker+Nino for Dvorak+Domi was rumored when Fenton first took over but I don't know how close it was to actually happening.

Reactions: Spurgeon

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
-The Penguins and Wild agreed to a Kessel and Johnson for Zucker and Rask trade, but Kessel vetoed it with his NTC.
-The Penguins and Predators wanted to expand their Neal for Hornqvist deal by also including a pick swap. The rumor was that the Penguins were going to send Paul Martin to Colorado for pick #23, and the Pens-Predators trade would also include picks #22 and #23 for pick #11.
-Kunitz was apparently nearly traded for Patrick Sharp during the 2014-2015 season.
-The Penguins offered Sutter, Bennett and futures for Saad before Saad went to Columbus in the 2015 off-season. They thought that package was better than what Saad was ultimately traded for.

Those are the big ones I remember from over the years.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
2003, San Jose and New Jersey once agreed to a trade that sent Teemu, Sturm and Ricci to the Devils for Gomez and Tverdovsky. Teemu nixed the deal with this NTC.

In 2000, the framework was in place to send Messier to the Devils from Vancouver. Denis Pederson and Brendan Morrison were going to go to Vancouver with a pick. Didn't happen and the devils acquired Mogilny instead.

Reactions: Nico Hischier

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Zucker+Nino for Dvorak+Domi was rumored when Fenton first took over but I don't know how close it was to actually happening.

Sounded like the holdup in that deal was with trying to include Ennis in the deal.

Funny how we all criticized that deal, but he'd look like an absolute genius this year if we ended up trading Zucker + Nino + Granlund for Dvorak + Domi + Fiala.

Reactions: AKL

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Somewhere in the 2009-2011 range...there was a rumored deal involving Roy and Ennis to Ottawa for Spezza.

Regier refused to trade Ennis.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Kadri vetoed a trade to Calgary which would have sent Brodie to Toronto, which worked out well for Colorado.

Reactions: Devonator

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
IIRC Flyers were hot after Bishop but Ottawa wanted Couturier.
No deal was worked out and Ottawa got Conacher from Tampa Bay for Bishop instead.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins was very close on Schenn last year and then STL got their shit together and, well, wish Boston added whatever sweetener they could have to make the deal then lol.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Panthers owners blocked Keenan from trading Luongo to Boston for Joe Thorton to save money

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Name a trade that your team was rumoured to have about to make but opted out for one reason or another.
I'll start:

Edmonton almost traded Taylor Hall to the Ottawa Senators for Cody Ceci but Ottawa's GM needed to run it by Melnyk who took too long answering his phone.

I heard the deal didn’t get done because of Hall’s contract and Melnyk wouldn’t sign off on it.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Taylor hall for Kevin shattenkirk.... until shatty nixed it because he didn’t want to go there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad