Toronto, Ontario
The classic

Price
Pacioretty
Subban
1st

for Lecavalier

in 2009
At one point during the 2000-01 season, Toronto and Tampa agreed on a trade that would see the Leafs get Lecavlier in exchange for Tomas Kaberle and Nik Antropov. However the Lightning owner at the time overruled Rick Dudley and would not allow him to make the trade.

Down Goes Brown: The all-time almost-a-Maple-Leaf team - Sportsnet.ca

Winger: Vincent Lecavalier

Chemistry matters, so we’ll pair the two Lightning legends on the same line. While Lecavalier’s status as a French-Canadian star meant he was often linked to Montreal, the Leafs actually had a deal done with Lightning GM Rick Dudley back in 2001. Toronto would have sent a package that included Antropov and Tomas Kaberle to the Lightning for the 21-year-old former first-overall pick, pending a trade call with the league. That call never happened after Dudley was overruled from within, and Lecavalier ended up playing another dozen years in Tampa.

When Vinny Lecavalier was nearly traded to the Maple Leafs

Reactions: uncleben

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Habs almost moved Roy for Owen Nolan and Stephane Fiset, early in the 95-96 season.

Subban for 4th, Draisatl, one of Nurse and Klefbom, if Dubois was available at #4.

A boatload of assets for Lecavalier.

A boatload of assets for Kovalchuk on draft day(2 firsts, one of Garon and Théodore, other skaters)

Reactions: Gaud

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Jan Hrdina for Dainius Zubrus was a really hot one I recalled hearing in the early 00's. Heard it was discussed alot but was never made.

Radek Dvorak was a name rumored to be part of a potential deal for Alexei Kovalev a weeks before Kovalev was traded back to the Rangers. Trade did happed but with other pieces IIRC this was like a rough draft.

I remember hearing a Keith Tkachuk for Milan Kraft trade that was shut down at the last minute because Craig Patrick liked Kraft's upside or something.

Jagr to the Rangers for Lundmark and a few others (don't remember who) and cash was almost done but a few weeks later he was eventually traded to the Caps for a better offer.

Last edited:

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Kobasew and Leopold to Boston for Joe Thornton was the rumor I heard, but Boston wanted Regehr instead of Leopold and Sutter wouldn't do it so they sent Thornton to the Sharks instead.

Imagine Iggy having Thornton feeding him sweet passes all those years.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Besides Toronto almost getting Lecavalier during the 2000-01 season they also were very close to getting Eric Lindros and Keith Tkachuk, which were obviuously two separate deals and Tkachuk was their plan B.

Down Goes Brown: The all-time almost-a-Maple-Leaf team - Sportsnet.ca

Centre: Eric Lindros

This one might be a little controversial, since Lindros actually did end up playing for the Maple Leafs. But that was post-lockout Lindros, in 2005, and by then he wasn’t much more than a depth piece. No, we’re talking about prime Lindros, when he was still considered an unstoppable force and among the best players in the league. The Leafs very nearly landed that version during the 2000-01 season, when Lindros sat out the entire season partly in an effort to force a trade to Toronto.

The two sides even reportedly agreed in principle on a trade, one that would have sent Lindros to the Leafs in exchange for a package that included Nik Antropov and Danny Markov. But the deal fell apart in a very public and ugly fashion, and Lindros eventually ended up in New York after missing an entire season.

Winger: Keith Tkachuk

Just as that potential Lindros trade was falling apart in 2001, the Leafs turned their attention to another power forward. The details of the trade even leaked out; it was Tkachuk, Travis Green and Jyrki Lumme coming to Toronto for Antropov, Markov, Sergei Berezin and Adam Mair. There was probably some truth to it, since Green and Lumme both found their way to Toronto in separate trades within a few months (with Markov going to the Coyotes). But Tkachuk wound up in St. Louis.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Something about Hamilton to Anaheim last off-season I think (could be wrong, if so I blame it on the beer)
Pretty sure that was Faulk, and not Hamilton. It was rumored to be Faulk for Kase (not sure what else was involved from both sides)

Reactions: DaveG

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Here's a bunch of Ottawa deals that were either vetoed or fell thru at the 11th hour...

At the 2007 NHL draft, the Senators had Wade Redden traded to the Oilers but he shot it down. I believe the full deal was rumored to be Redden and Peter Schaefer for Jason Smith and Joffrey Lupul.

A few months later near the 2008 trade deadline the Senators had Redden traded again, this time to San Jose for Matt Carle and their 1st round pick. Redden nixed it.

Dany Heatley was traded to Edmonton for Andrew Cogliano, Dustin Penner and Ladislav Smid. Everybody knows what happened here.

Jason Spezza nixed a trade to Nashville at the 2014 draft. Return was supposed to be Colin Wilson [or maybe Hornqvist?] and Nashville's 1st rounder.

The Senators were very close to shipping Mika Zibanejad to Toronto for Nazem Kadri. Fell apart due to the Leafs pushing for a draft pick to be added. Feel like this was the summer of 2014, but possibly could have been 2015.

Apparently the Senators and Avs agreed to a Mika Zibanejad and Thomas Chabot for Matt Duchene deal at the 2016 draft. The talk was that Patrick Roy negotiated the deal without Sakic's consent and that's why it didn't happen.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
When Cory Schneider was traded to New Jersey for the 9th overall pick they got Bo Horvat with, the Oilers apparently offered the 8th overall pick plus a prospect. But the Canucks didn't want to send him within the division unless they got a really good deal which included the 8th, a second and a solid prospect to which the Oilers said no.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
A 3 way trade in 2000 that was close.
Rangers were to send Nedved and Malhotra to Carolina for Keith Primeau who was in a contract dispute.
Primeau was to be sent to Phoenix for Keith Tkachuk.
The holdup reportedly was Canes GM Karmanos who couldn't decide what he wanted to do and the amount of salary he was to take on. It is said he offered Primeau and Dave Karpa and w 2 draft picks for Tkachuk but that fell through.
Flyers ended up making the deal for Primeau (Brind'Amour).

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Don't ask me for sources on this but this three team trade almost happened last off season.

Winnipeg
Calgary draft pick
Mark Jankowski

Calgary
Nazem Kadri

Toronto
TJ Brodie
Jack Roslovic

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I don't think Rob Blake to the Devils was too close. From what I remember, New Jersey was offering a futures package with David Hale, Ari Ahonen, and a 1st round pick. LA was still in the playoff hunt and wanted some proven NHLers coming back. The Colorado offer (Deadmarsh, Miller, plus picks) was way better than the alleged Devils offer.

-----------

Speaking of Blake (I'll see if I can find a link for this), there was a fun one around the 2007 trade deadline where there was a trade in place to send him to San Jose for Evgeni Nabokov.

At the time, Blake had just signed a two year deal with LA and was settled back "home" so he didn't have a desire to leave right away and blocked the trade.

The Kings targeting a goalie would make sense. In 2006-07, they used five goalies: Mathieu Garon, Sean Burke, Dan Cloutier, Barry Brust, and Yutaka Fukufuji. It was a mess, although there were still some fans who were bullish on Jason LaBarbera who was stuck in the AHL because of the recall waivers rule. Kings GM Dean Lombardi had a history with Nabokov previously in San Jose.

Nabokov had lost the starter gig to Vesa Toskala the previous season and the two were 1A/1B in the 2006-07 season. Doug Wilson figured he'd have to choose one of the two going forward.

Nabokov would regain the #1 spot and the team traded Toskala at the 2007 Draft. With those picks, they traded up for Logan Couture. Blake would end up signing with San Jose in the summer of 2008.

Interesting "what if" scenario where Blake doesn't block the trade in 2007. Toskala instead of Nabokov and perhaps San Jose doesn't end up with Logan Couture (allegedly Florida was set to take Couture at #10).

Reactions: Guitpik

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
2013 6th OA (Monahan) and Johnny Gaudreau (as a prospect) for Seguin.

believe the Flames turned it down and wanted to trade their 3 1st rounders for MacKinnon

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Don't ask me for sources on this but this three team trade almost happened last off season.

Winnipeg
Calgary draft pick
Mark Jankowski

Calgary
Nazem Kadri

Toronto
TJ Brodie
Jack Roslovic

I thought it was Brodie+Jankowski for Kadri+Brown. Winnipeg I don't think was ever involved (If you're referring to what CJ said on the Steve Dangle podcast, I believe he misspoke and Simmons posted the actual rumoured trade after)

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I thought it was Brodie+Jankowski for Kadri+Brown. Winnipeg I don't think was ever involved (If you're referring to what CJ said on the Steve Dangle podcast, I believe he misspoke and Simmons posted the actual rumoured trade after)

No, it was a three team trade involving Winnipeg.

Brown was always going to Ottawa. Moving Z was the number 1 priority for Dubas and he was the cost.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Leafs also had a trade on the table for Florida 1st OA pick(Ekblad).

Florida 1st OA for JVR + 8th OA(Nylander)

Reactions: uncleben

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
No, it was a three team trade involving Winnipeg.

Brown was always going to Ottawa. Moving Z was the number 1 priority for Dubas and he was the cost.

Lol i know you said don't ask your sources but how do you know that?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00