Rumor: List a rumoured trade your team almost made

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Ed Belfour, Steve Larmer and 2 1st round picks for Eric Lindros.

Could have added Lindros and Hasek to an existing core of Roenick/Chelios et al.

Rumor is that Bill Wirtz nixed it because Lindros was going to be too expensive off his rookie contract.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
All 3 Stastny Brothers for 1th overal pick in 1984.

All 1984 Minnesota Wild (pardon North Stars) picks for 1th overall Penguins pick 1984.

Cant write the source, dont have it in my history, but sometimes ago i saw this rumors.
Eddie Johnson himself has confirmed this at different times. Although this doesn't really fit the thread, because those deals were never "almost made". He never seriously considered trading the pick

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Ed Belfour, Steve Larmer and 2 1st round picks for Eric Lindros.

Could have added Lindros and Hasek to an existing core of Roenick/Chelios et al.

Rumor is that Bill Wirtz nixed it because Lindros was going to be too expensive off his rookie contract.

Well that and the Nordiques had 2 better offers from NYR and Philly.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
Sean Shapiro, the Stars reporter for The Athletic, wrote in his book that Dallas and San Jose made or were close on a Thornton deal the summer the Stars got Spezza. Thornton nixed the deal.

Another Stars one making the rounds was that they had secured Selanne as a free agent in 2002, but either ownership preferred Scott Young or felt they’d already spent too much on Young or others and vetoed the move.

Darryl Sittler also noted he was really close to being a North Star in the 1980s, but ultimately, was traded to Philadelphia instead.

And one non-Dallas one, I remember Phil Esposito giving some detailed accounts of separate agreements he had on Gretzky and Messier - including the players he’d trade from New York - in the 1980s. They’re in his book.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Glad that got nixed as a FLA fan then

I know there was something around the Flyers 1st (Sanheim) and Simmonds as a starter for that 1OA pick as well. I think other names brought up were Matt Read, Brayden Schenn and Vinny Lecavalier. The draft was in Philly and the Flyers wanted to start it out with a bang.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Rangers GM had a deal worked out with St. Louis in 1992 that was to send Darren Turcotte and James Patrick in exchange for Adam Oates and Paul Cavallini.
Smith approached his coach Roger Neilson about it who talked Smith out of making the deal. Oates would soon be sent to Boston for Janney.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Not a trade that we almost made I guess because the leafs said no, but the rumor was that Fenton offered Nino and Dumba for Nylander while Nylander was holding out and Dubas said no. That’s when Fenton was trying to attach Nino’s contract to people to get out of it.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Blues and Bruins had a done deal consisting of Keith Tkachuk + David Perron for Phil Kessel. Boston backed out at the last second.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Not how it works buddy. You can hear of rumours and they're usually found with a quick google search. A rumour still has sources. You making it up isn't a rumour.

What’s the point of opening up this thread if the purpose is to demonstrate which *rumored* trades close fans may know about which other fan bases did not? Otherwise, just do a quick Google search and there you have it. I wanted to provide insight to something non-Google related which I thought wouldn’t have any retort. It was just a rumor, from a fairly credible source that you guys won’t know as it’s an acquaintance who has worked in the NHL and has additional ancillary sources.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I know the Rangers were hot and heavy with the Stars for the third overall pick in 2017. Not sure who they would've traded (#7 would've almost assuredly have been involved and probably #21 as well), but it would've wound up with the Rangers getting either Cale Makar or Elias Pettersson and the Stars not getting Miro Heiskanen.

Talk about a butterfly effect

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Something about Hamilton to Anaheim last off-season I think (could be wrong, if so I blame it on the beer)
Faulk to Anaheim for Kase was basically agreed to, Faulk blocked it with his NTC.

A few more Carolina ones.

Tomas Kaberle for Brassard early in 2012-13. Brass was on the outs in Columbus and Kaberle was a f***ing dumpster fire in Carolina. Can't remember why it was nixed, I think Kaberle may have had a partial NTC and didn't want to go to Columbus

Jack Johnson for the #2 pick in 2006. Sounded very close to happening and then the week of the draft Pittsburgh asked for Ladd as well. JR rightly told them to pound sand on that one.

Ray Whitney to LA at the deadline in 2010 for LAs first and one of Teubert or Voynov. Whitney blocked it with his NTC.

Mike Fisher to Carolina for Zach Boychuk and another piece (1st?) at the 2011 deadline. Trade wasn't nixed but Ottawa got an offer from his preferred destination in Nashville that was accepted instead

And the big one: Hall for Faulk in 2016... As Bob would say "it's one for one".

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I have my doubts about whether these rumored deals were really close, but I found a couple interesting ones while reading some old articles from the 1999-00 season:

Doug Weight to the Devils?: https://nypost.com/1999/12/10/scratched-morrison-awaits-his-fate/

Trade talk abounds concerning Morrison, including one possible deal that would send him, Patrik Elias and Lyle Odelein to Edmonton for Doug Weight and Roman Hamrlik.

Alexei Yashin to the Devils?: https://nypost.com/2000/01/27/with-boss-bucks-on-horizon-devils-become-major-players-for-yashin/

The deal being rumored, and categorically denied by straight-shooter Johnston, claims the Devils would send Brendan Morrison, Denis Pederson and Sheldon Souray, probably along with a draft pick, to the Senators for Yashin, who has held out all season in an attempt to renegotiate his contract.

At the time, Morrison and Elias had held out to the start the season. Lou refused to pay them more than Petr Sykora (650K) who had led the team in scoring the previous season. They'd sit out the first month but begrudgingly signed meager deals. Morrison was upset and requested a trade. The Devils were fresh off of consecutive first round exits as the #1 seed, so the thought was that the lack of true #1 center was the team's Achilles heel. The Yashin rumor seems particularly questionable; If Lou was stressing over a couple hundred thousand between Elias/Morrison, how would he have felt about Yashin who wanted 9+ million. And naturally it's a little jarring to see Elias' name in trade rumors knowing he'd be a career Devil, but in the moment he was in the process of breaking out.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Couple Dallas ones I can recall-

back in I think 2003 we almost dealt Brenden Morrow to Columbus for Nik Zherdev.

Had a package on the table of Hintz, Dellandrea, and Honka to Ottawa for Erik Karlsson a couple years ago.

Dan Hamhuis at the deadline in 2016

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Legend has it that Gainey/Gauthier (not sure which) offered two of Price, Subban, or Pacioretty and a 1st for Lecavalier and Brian Lawton turned it down.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I remember Detroit wanting to re-acquire Fedorov in either 2008 or 2009 but Columbus didnt want to trade within the division and the ask was more than Detroit wanted to spend.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
drouin for shattenkirk, but shattenkirk nixed it.

there's an older rumor about lecavalier for subban.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->