Rumor: List a rumoured trade your team almost made

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
- Souray to Philly for Scott Hartnell in 2009. At the last second Tambellini changed his mind. A year later Souray badmouthed Oilers' management, got loaned to Washington's AHL team, and then eventually bought out

- Mike Richards to Edmonton or Calgary at the 2015 draft. Lombardi learned of Richards getting in trouble at the border and had to tell Chiarelli and Treliving on the draft floor what was going on

- 3-way trade between the Oilers, Flames, and Blue Jackets at the 2016 draft. iirc Calgary would have moved up to #3, Jackets went back one to 4th, and the Oilers would go to #6 while getting a dman from the Flames

Name a trade that your team was rumoured to have about to make but opted out for one reason or another.
I'll start:

Edmonton almost traded Taylor Hall to the Ottawa Senators for Cody Ceci but Ottawa's GM needed to run it by Melnyk who took too long answering his phone.
This one bogus from Darren Dreger. He mentioned it on the radio and then immediately backtracked on Twitter when people started poking holes in the "rumour".

Ben Bishop was almost an Oiler. Before he was traded to the Lightning, Edmonton offered winger Ryan Jones and a 2nd-4th round pick for goalie Ben Bishop. Instead, the Senators liked Cory Conacher and a 4th rounder better.
The reason this one didn't go through is because dumbf*** Tambellini wouldn't give the Senators the higher of the two 2nds the Oilers had. That killed the deal and Ottawa made the trade with Tampa instead.

Last edited:

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I thought there was almost a Peca for Iginla trade but the Peca side didn’t go ahead?

TysonBarrie

Jun 30, 2018
The reason this one didn't go through is because dumbf*** Tambellini wouldn't give the Senators the higher of the two 2nds the Oilers had. That killed the deal and Ottawa made the trade with Tampa instead.

Honestly, I don't blame Tambellini on the Bishop trade. At the time, he was a nobody and only had success in those 13 games that he played in 12-13.

Reactions: DaveG

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Buchnevich for the Oilers 2019 8th OA.

I forgot exactly, but McDonagh may have been linked to the Oilers 2016 4th OA.

I’d love a link talking about that because I’ve never heard anything of the sorts aside from Ranger fans proposing that on the trade board.

When Cory Schneider was traded to New Jersey for the 9th overall pick they got Bo Horvat with, the Oilers apparently offered the 8th overall pick plus a prospect. But the Canucks didn't want to send him within the division unless they got a really good deal which included the 8th, a second and a solid prospect to which the Oilers said no.

It was Klefbom them wanted to IIRC, which was an absolutely absurd ask.

RNH for either Larkin or Mantha I think

I know some bloggers talked about it, but I don’t think there was ever actually any legs was there?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I remember a rumor of a deal centered around Carter and Kaberle. Supposedly Kaberle wouldn’t waive his NTC. I’ve even heard that the Flyers May had been willing to include a pick with the center which would have been ridiculous.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Apparently there was a Wheeler trade that was the summer before his NMC kicked in.

Mark Chipman apparently killed that trade.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I remember a rumor of a deal centered around Carter and Kaberle. Supposedly Kaberle wouldn’t waive his NTC. I’ve even heard that the Flyers May had been willing to include a pick with the center which would have been ridiculous.
I remember seeing it was Carter and a 1st for Kaberle.
That same trade deadline I think Toronto and Montreal had a trade lined up to send Sundin to Montreal for Grabovski, Higgins and a 1st but Sundin vetoed it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
- Leafs and Oilers were close to a Chris Pronger deal. EDM was asking for Kaberle and Steen as the main parts of the deal, but Leafs would only do Kaberle and Stajan. EDM passed, and about a year later, Steen was traded to St Louis for Lee Stempniak....
Toronto was also offering their 2007 and 2008 1st round picks as part of their package to Edmonton.

If that happened it would have had domino effect of them never trading their 2007 1st round pick for Vesa Toskala. Plus they would not trade up from 7th overall to 5th overall in 2008 when they selected Luke Schenn and eventually trading him to Philadelphia for James van Riemsdyk.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Apparently there was a Wheeler trade that was the summer before his NMC kicked in.

Mark Chipman apparently killed that trade.
Wheeler was almost traded to Toronto for Kaberle.... Instead, Leafs opted for big centerman Joe Colborne.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Name a trade that your team was rumoured to have about to make but opted out for one reason or another.
I'll start:

Edmonton almost traded Taylor Hall to the Ottawa Senators for Cody Ceci but Ottawa's GM needed to run it by Melnyk who took too long answering his phone.

Ben Bishop was almost an Oiler. Before he was traded to the Lightning, Edmonton offered winger Ryan Jones and a 2nd-4th round pick for goalie Ben Bishop. Instead, the Senators liked Cory Conacher and a 4th rounder better.

There was a report that Snow rejected a Hall for Hamonic+ offer. Snow had let popular homegrown players KO, Nielsen and Martin walk as ufas. I think it was Staple who reported Snow felt he had to pass on the Hall trade because he was worried about losing the locker room after letting three popular players leave.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
There was a report that Snow rejected a Hall for Hamonic+ offer. Snow had let popular homegrown players KO, Nielsen and Martin walk as ufas. I think it was Staple who reported Snow felt he had to pass on the Hall trade because he was worried about losing the locker room after letting three popular players leave.

Didn't Hamonic request a trade to Western Canada not long after?
That would be really unfortunate timing.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Didn't Hamonic request a trade to Western Canada not long after?
That would be really unfortunate timing.

Hamonic made his trade request because of a family members health, then dropped his trade request .About a yr later he was moved to Calgary. I am not sure if he changed his mind again or Snow simply couldn't pass on Calgary's offer a yr later.
I love Hamonic. Such a class act,but I was unhappy with Snow when I read the Hall rumor.

Fallout: Islanders balked at Hamonic-Hall swap
Instead, Garth Snow hung on to Hamonic, who had probably his best season as a pro and eventually lifted his trade request when the medical situation that so weighed on him was (fortunately) alleviated.

Arthur Staple
@StapeAthletic
As for Hall, #Isles didn't offer what EDM wanted, which was Hamonic. Plain and simple.
4:26 PM · Jun 29, 2016

Arthur Staple
@StapeAthletic
Can certainly debate skill levels of Hall/Hamonic. Wasn't a trade #Isles felt they could make w/ one of the emotional leaders of the team.
4:50 PM · Jun 29, 2016

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
Can’t remember the players involved, but Gretzky almost being traded to Toronto, but TO ownership didn’t want to spend the money.

Chris Pronger from Edmonton to Toronto for Tomas Kaberle and Alex Steen. But JFJ didn’t want to include Steen.

Kaberle to Philadelphia for Jeff Carter and a 1st. Kaberle nixed it with his NTC.

Mats Sundin to Vancouver for Alex Edler and 1st. Sundin nixed it with his NTC.

Reactions: exporta

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Avs were apparently about to trade their ‘19 1st (16 OA) to the Rangers for Kreider but backed out when Newhook feel to them.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
In Stamkos’ rookie year so 2008-2009 back when the Lightning had co-owners Len Barrie and Oren Koules. One of them went behind GM Brian Lawton’s back and discussed Stamkos for Luke Schenn+. The Leafs and that owner were in agreement on a deal.

When he went to his co-owner and Lawton to tell them about the deal those 2 vetoed it.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Shattenkirk and Oshie to SJ for Hertl and pick 9 during the draft week in 2015. Sj apparently backed out since they knew Meier would be there for them at 9.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Pretty sure Glen Sather said he almost had a deal for Stamkos. Think it was Callahan, Dubinsky, Del Zotto, and one or two other guys

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019

a few edmonton media suggested it was Hamonic, Strome and a 1st. But the oilers also added something

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
All 3 Stastny Brothers for 1th overal pick in 1984.

All 1984 Minnesota Wild (pardon North Stars) picks for 1th overall Penguins pick 1984.

Cant write the source, dont have it in my history, but sometimes ago i saw this rumors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->