Player Discussion Linus Ullmark

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA
Anyone else here this: "Weekes reported, “…so there was a deal that he essentially nixed, in large part based on geography, I’m told.” Mark Spector of Sportsnet writes, “A rumoured deal that would have sent Pierre-Luc Dubois to Boston for goalie Linus Ullmark never panned out, leaving the Kings vulnerable in goal as they try to avoid a third consecutive opening-round exit.”

If this is true, then thank god. Not interested in Dubois at all.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I am not buying the report he was traded to LA

Anyone else here this: "Weekes reported, “…so there was a deal that he essentially nixed, in large part based on geography, I’m told.” Mark Spector of Sportsnet writes, “A rumoured deal that would have sent Pierre-Luc Dubois to Boston for goalie Linus Ullmark never panned out, leaving the Kings vulnerable in goal as they try to avoid a third consecutive opening-round exit.”
BWAHAHAHAH

Lets see if it happens in summer

Dubois doesn’t seem like Bruins guy

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
“Pierre-Luc Dubois has been an abysmal failure to himself,” TSN analyst Craig Button said on a recent show with Vancouver-area broadcasters Don Taylor and Rick Dhaliwal. “His effort has been terrible. If that’s the account you want to make of yourself after signing a long-term contract and the team (commit) to you, he should be embarrassed by his play.”

Button added that he’s been a supporter of Dubois. “But not this,” he said. “Not the way he’s playing now.”

From Athletic

DO NOT TOUCH THIS GUY

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Elliotte Friedman:

"Ullmark, I heard behind the scenes this week was very emotional. It was a very hard week for him. He did not want to leave Boston.

There was a team that was on his no-trade list, which he did not waive to. However, I think there's also a second part to this. I do believe the Bruins had conversations with some teams that he cannot block a trade to. Obviously those did not occur. But, I think in a couple of cases, they were punted to the offseason. So, I think this is going to be something that's going to pick up again after the season."

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Elliotte Friedman:

"Ullmark, I heard behind the scenes this week was very emotional. It was a very hard week for him. He did not want to leave Boston.

There was a team that was on his no-trade list, which he did not waive to. However, I think there's also a second part to this. I do believe the Bruins had conversations with some teams that he cannot block a trade to. Obviously those did not occur. But, I think in a couple of cases, they were punted to the offseason. So, I think this is going to be something that's going to pick up again after the season."

Right.

Assuming it’s a team like the Devils, they’re already out of it.

There’s no urgency to acquire Ullmark now. They can wait until the draft if they still want him.

Or the landscape may change between now and then.

Ultimately, a decision is coming because you can’t lose him, Bussi, and DiPietro for nothing. Have to identify who you are keeping and cash in the rest.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Elliotte Friedman:

As much as they are rich athletes playing a game for millions, they are also people with families, spouses, kids, school, careers, family obligations, friends, and everything that goes with that.

Just as you should never be upset with one for getting a contact injury and missing time (as much as it is disappointing) you can't get upset with a guy exercising the contractual rights earned on the deal they signed with ownership. It's a deal and the give and get is for a reason so there should be no animosity there to call to mat the terms. Anyone here that has a job with a local contract and agreement, and was told next week they are doing 5x40 in Alaska and "good luck" would go postal. That's why the terms are agreed up front.

After the season, and when school and some planning can be done, perhaps it is easier to find a middle road, but the guy earned his prior deal and has lived up to the contract so no hard feelings at all for saying I'm gonna play this out and help the team. Glad to have him and if he and Sway are "on" they can carry a round or two come springtime.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'm glad he gets to ride out the year and maybe catch some fire in the playoffs(not sure how with the platoon by then but...)

I think he'll be gone this upcoming offseason though.
I get this but really like him and will be sad. Linus is a cool dude.

Also, there will be MUCH more pressure on Sway once Linus is gone.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
It's a business, Sweeney knows, Ullmark too. At the end of the day it sounds like both parties did their due diligence and handled things respectfully and well within their rights.

After what is now well know as a difficult couple days for the guy, I give Ullmark huge props for having that type of game against the Penguins. That's a hell of a statement.

This situation is certain to come to a head over the summer, but for now it is what it is. PLAY ON

Reactions: Bodit9 and BMC

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
It's a business, Sweeney knows, Ullmark too. At the end of the day it sounds like both parties did their due diligence and handled things respectfully and well within their rights.

After what is now well know as a difficult couple days for the guy, I give Ullmark huge props for having that type of game against the Penguins. That's a hell of a statement.

This situation is certain to come to a head over the summer, but for now it is what it is. PLAY ON
I am just a sap. Linus is very sweet to me at the games.

I love the interaction between he and Sway all game. He is a riot when he is backup. Watching them he has always been Sway's biggest supporter.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I am just a sap. Linus is very sweet to me at the games.

I love the interaction between he and Sway all game. He is a riot when he is backup. Watching them he has always been Sway's biggest supporter.
He is ALWAYS happy on camera when he’s backing up. For all the talk about goalies being a little crazy, Ullmark really just seems like a teddy bear of a man.

• Love
Reactions: sooshii and BMC

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
I get this but really like him and will be sad. Linus is a cool dude.

Also, there will be MUCH more pressure on Sway once Linus is gone.

Maybe Sweeny sits them both down and bluntly draws the line on how much he's will to spend on goaltending. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they both went 50/50 on salary but with Sway getting more term obviously. If they value their partnership this much it wouldn't be too far fetch IMO. Weirder things have happened in sports.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Swayman is the future and that future has pretty much started. Ullmark's gotta see this.

I really like Ullmark and in a perfect world, he gets to stick around. I have a soft spot for guys who like Boston, who like the organization and his teammates, so I wish there was a way it was possible. Maybe if Sway takes another one year deal, punting his big contract to the following offseason, Ullmark can do him a solid by taking a team friendly discount to be the backup when his contract is due. But I doubt it happens that way and Ullmark most likely gets moved in the offseason.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Maybe Sweeny sits them both down and bluntly draws the line on how much he's will to spend on goaltending. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they both went 50/50 on salary but with Sway getting more term obviously. If they value their partnership this much it wouldn't be too far fetch IMO. Weirder things have happened in sports.
This conversation doesn't take place between GM and player. It's between GM and agent. He's not sitting them down.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
People can be pissed at Ullmark but at the end of the day, he has a 16 team NTC on a contract given to him by the same guy who is attempting to trade him. Also Sweeney isnt going to give him away just to get rid of him. This team is very much competitive and Ullmark is a big part of that whether people like it or not.

I am not shocked he wasnt moved. But it doesnt mean he wont be.

Lastly, I know hes an RFA, but I would feel waaaay more comfortable with Swaymans contract being done before Ullmark is moved. Just putting that out there.

Reactions: Ladyfan

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Insider people who say they have reliable information about the deal for Ullmark are also choosing to be tight-lipped about it out of respect for everyone involved.

Admirable in a "Get it first for the fame and clicks" media environment of today.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
This conversation doesn't take place between GM and player. It's between GM and agent. He's not sitting them down.

In 99.99% of situation sure, but there's nothing technically stopping Swayman/Ullmark from having a meeting with Sweeney to voice their concerns/preferences. Obviously the agents have to be involved eventually and would be rightfully pissed since all they care about is $$$$$$$. But this is a unique tandem and a unique situation, the player had the final say in the end.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
In 99.99% of situation sure, but there's nothing technically stopping Swayman/Ullmark from having a meeting with Sweeney to voice their concerns/preferences. Obviously the agents have to be involved eventually and would be rightfully pissed since all they care about is $$$$$$$. But this is a unique tandem and a unique situation, the player had the final say in the end.

Hell there is nothing stopping Ullmark & Swayman (or having their agents) from going to management & saying- what needs to be done so we can remain a tandem?

• Love
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad