Player Discussion Linus Ullmark

ValJames

Jun 9, 2015
NC
Proving to be one the best backups in the league, and that's saying something with allot of good backups out there. "Might" be closer to a 1B by end of the season. I would still like to see improvements in fundamentals and consistancy but his somewhat unorthodox style is what might give him his edge.

ValJames

Jun 9, 2015
NC
Ullmark/UPL tandem in 2021/22.

Do not forget the 6th rounder that moron Botts also gave away :sarcasm:

Another brilliant Botts move that he does not get credit for. Teams left and right are giving up good prospects and picks to preserve their roster. All it cost us was a dime a dozen plug and near worthless draft pick to keep our budding future franchise goalie.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I think it is somewhat ironic our goalie of the future will be close to 30 by the time he is fully given the reins. So is life. A benefit of Hutton getting a lot of the starts is that it will keep Ullmarks price down. We damn well could be paying 5 mil or less for our 2 goalies until 2021.

I do wonder how many games Ullmark can handle when he is the undisputed #1. He came from Sweden not the CHL so he did not develop getting tons of games. I think he will adjust just fine. It feels good not only being strong in net for the present but the future to. Goaltending is one position we can forego choosing the next few drafts.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya
Imagine having both - a quality backup and a guy with 7 goals and 189 hits out of 4th line minutes. Or we can fling rocks from within glass houses.

Don't want to make this thread about the Expansion Draft, but if the GMGM-TM agreement was honored and Carrier and Ullmark were still on this team, who gets taken? Bogo?
Healthy Bogo is making a huge positive impact right now. Without him, we could've been having Tennyson play half the season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Don't want to make this thread about the Expansion Draft, but if the GMGM-TM agreement was honored and Carrier and Ullmark were still on this team, who gets taken? Bogo?
Healthy Bogo is making a huge positive impact right now. Without him, we could've been having Tennyson play half the season.

Teams pushed draft picks to get some crap off their roster. Moulson and Bogosian were both wastes of money for a great deal of time here.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
And what would you give up in this scenario where two options existed in reality? A first round pick?or would you like to join us in the real World?

For future cap flexibility? Pop a couple of 2nds on the table and start the chatter around Bogo. Ennis fit the style the Knights were looking for and was purely a cap shift in the Minny trade - Foligno's size and hitting was what Fletcher wanted and the Poms-Ennis part was essentially dead cap for dead cap. Moulson finished the previous season so poorly that he'd started well, so he was unlikely to move with escalating to pricey costs.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
How much depth do we have at goalie in the organization ? If he keeps playing like this maybe he could help net us something good in a trade...Like maybe some forward depth

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How much depth do we have at goalie in the organization ? If he keeps playing like this maybe he could help net us something good in a trade...Like maybe some forward depth

Naaah. Let him continue to roll. They're so far off from having the sort of depth they can deal someone. JJ is coming along but is still not even an AHL regular. 6K is probably years off, even if he has a good U20 tournament. Having a quality tandem is a refreshing change after a lot of years of not, even during the end of the Miller era.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If only it were so binary.

Great for Ullmark and the team that he's played so well and clearly the team loves to play in front of him.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Naaah. Let him continue to roll. They're so far off from having the sort of depth they can deal someone. JJ is coming along but is still not even an AHL regular. 6K is probably years off, even if he has a good U20 tournament. Having a quality tandem is a refreshing change after a lot of years of not, even during the end of the Miller era.

I agree it's defnitely a refreshing change for sure ! I was just thinking of ways to acquire forwards

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
2018-19: 1 Carter 2 Linus
2019-2020: 1A Carter 1B Linus
2020-2021: 1A Linus 1B Carter
2021-2022: 1 Linus 2 ?

Reactions: Reddawg

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
2018-19: 1 Carter 2 Linus
2019-2020: 1A Carter 1B Linus
2020-2021: 1A Linus 1B Carter
2021-2022: 1 Linus 2 ?

This is about what the Red Wings did with Mike Vernon tutoring Chris Osgood in the mid 90s. It worked out well. I believe they had 3 years of that tandem. Ozzie was 1A by their second year together (95-96), but didn't get far in the playoffs. Despite Ozzie playing the majority of games in 96-97, Vernon took over in the playoffs and the Wings won their first Cup in 42 years. After that Vernon was moved to SJ and Ozzie backstopped the Wings second consecutive Cup in 1998. Osgood was a solid NHL goaltender after that, finishing his career in the top 10 all time in several categories (although other goalies have passed him since).

Reactions: Freeeeedom

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
For the most part, I’ve liked how our goalies are being handled. Give the vet more starts until it’s painfully obvious he shouldn’t. Let Ullmark get his starts and throw him an extra couple games if he looks really good.

Next season. Split it close to 50/50 as long as both are looking good.

Following season, give Ullmark more starts than Hutton as long as he seems to be handling the work load.

For the most part, the Sabres aren’t losing games because of goaltending. It’s from the dearth of scoring beyond the top line.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
For the most part, I’ve liked how our goalies are being handled. Give the vet more starts until it’s painfully obvious he shouldn’t. Let Ullmark get his starts and throw him an extra couple games if he looks really good.

Next season. Split it close to 50/50 as long as both are looking good.

Following season, give Ullmark more starts than Hutton as long as he seems to be handling the work load.

For the most part, the Sabres aren’t losing games because of goaltending. It’s from the dearth of scoring beyond the top line.
i have to admit i am a bad judge of goaltending talent. i have bold opinions that are often wrong (i have been quite down on Ullmark and i was wrong to do so). But i agree that it seems we're approaching the goaltending the right way. I wonder, though, if the time to start tipping the scales in Ullmark's favor is underway. I've found Hutton's last few weeks very underwhelming. He has had showstopping saves, but then some egregious flubs and miscues....

Reactions: oldgoalie

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
i have to admit i am a bad judge of goaltending talent. i have bold opinions that are often wrong (i have been quite down on Ullmark and i was wrong to do so). But i agree that it seems we're approaching the goaltending the right way. I wonder, though, if the time to start tipping the scales in Ullmark's favor is underway. I've found Hutton's last few weeks very underwhelming. He has had showstopping saves, but then some egregious flubs and miscues....
Yes he might have let some in but if the team plays like in december its hardly his fault when there is no secondary scoring and he has to be perfect for the team to win.

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Yes he might have let some in but if the team plays like in december its hardly his fault when there is no secondary scoring and he has to be perfect for the team to win.
i definitely take that into consideration, but a few of those games - the game where he misplayed the puck behind the net, or the game where he lost the puck and it trickled in behind him (that can be chalked up to bad puck luck) - we could have won without the errors. Doesn't sound like much, but 4 more points in the standing and we are above a WC spot.

Again, take it with a grain of salt. I just can't seem to appropriately assess goaltending.

Reactions: debaser66

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
i definitely take that into consideration, but a few of those games - the game where he misplayed the puck behind the net, or the game where he lost the puck and it trickled in behind him (that can be chalked up to bad puck luck) - we could have won without the errors. Doesn't sound like much, but 4 more points in the standing and we are above a WC spot.

Again, take it with a grain of salt. I just can't seem to appropriately assess goaltending.
To be honest, he's given up some really shitty goals at some inopportune times (not that there is an opportune time to give up any goal..). But the Sabres are not going to win many games scoring 1 or 2 goals. Dom has retired. I say that, having just watched the top 10 saves and his one in the Islanders game was #1.

He just needs to tighten up so those crappy goals don't deflate the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad