Player Discussion Linus Ullmark

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Mrazek or Bernier for me. If we didnt spend assets for the right goalie in Grubauer we may as well go with the free option. Id rather have someone under 30 than having Hutton who isnt our future even if he may be a decent stopgap backup/1B next year.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I wouldn't mind him but I think they see him as potentially Lou's replacement.
I'd give a 3rd for Reimer. Nothing more. Hes got 3 years left at 3.1 mil which isn't bad but that's alot for a back up if Ullmark gets ahead of him.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'd give a 3rd for Reimer. Nothing more. Hes got 3 years left at 3.1 mil which isn't bad but that's alot for a back up if Ullmark gets ahead of him.

I would too but I'm not sure he's available. I'd be happy to be pleasantly surprised. He's better than he was treated near the end in Toronto.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I’m honestly shocked we haven’t already traded for him. First thing I thought of when I saw Grubauer went to Colorado.
Apparently Bernier really wants to stay there so they have a bit of a logjam (looks like Francouz didn't make the best decision...). Varlamov has 1 year left on his deal.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
You know Cam Ward is getting a 2 year deal here.
It's a situation where he's a player who has impeccable character, he has won a Stanley Cup, and it's a scenario where he will be a great leader for our young core every Sunday morning.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
It's a situation where he's a player who has impeccable character, he has won a Stanley Cup, and it's a scenario where he will be a great leader for our young core every Sunday morning.
I envision a bogosituation with Ward and the only time the word core will come up is when his injuries are discussed.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Better qualify Lehner before signing Ward.
And I don't like Lehner.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Think it’s weird how people still talk about Ullmark like he’s some young prospect kid who might not be developed enough to play substantial minutes in the NHL.

He’s not young anymore. He’s a 25 year old man and one of the longest-tenured players in the Sabres organization. He was drafted along with Zemgus in 2012, and has been a Sabre (property) longer than Risto, or Reinhart, or Eichel.

At this point, at this age, he’s either going to be an NHL goalie or he’s not. There’s no more development process left to be done.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Think it’s weird how people still talk about Ullmark like he’s some young prospect kid who might not be developed enough to play substantial minutes in the NHL.

He’s not young anymore. He’s a 25 year old man and one of the longest-tenured players in the Sabres organization. He was drafted along with Zemgus in 2012, and has been a Sabre (property) longer than Risto, or Reinhart, or Eichel.

At this point, at this age, he’s either going to be an NHL goalie or he’s not. There’s no more development process left to be done.
He's a goalie. Comparisons to skaters really have no place. It is not an abnormal age to break into the league for his position. You can't expect any goalie to walk right into the NHL as a starter, especially if he's not a truly elite prospect, especially when the team sucks.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
in an ideal world ullmark steps in and is a pretty good starter. i guess this is his challenge. i haven't really paid attention to hockey so much since the cup final and don't really know who's available, but i'd take one of bernier/varlamov and let them compete for the job.

my instincts say that ullmark could just win it outright and be a solid goalie. eye test, however. it seemed like the whole team was more confident when he played the few games he did here at the end of the season, and he'll have plenty of time to prepare over the summer

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
in an ideal world ullmark steps in and is a pretty good starter. i guess this is his challenge. i haven't really paid attention to hockey so much since the cup final and don't really know who's available, but i'd take one of bernier/varlamov and let them compete for the job.

my instincts say that ullmark could just win it outright and be a solid goalie. eye test, however. it seemed like the whole team was more confident when he played the few games he did here at the end of the season, and he'll have plenty of time to prepare over the summer

They don't need him to be great, they just need him to be consistent and a good guy in the room. That would be extremely helpful.

Reactions: valet

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I'm feeling pretty good about Ullmark. I think him and Hutton will be a solid combo and Ullmark is going to really challenge him for games as soon as this season.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I am confident in net. 18-19 Hutton will get the majority of the starts but Linus should see 30-35 starts. 19-20 I expect 50/50 split and in 20-21 with Huttons deal expiring and him nearing his late 30s Ullmark becomes the workhorse in 20-21, Hutton spells him for 20 games and in 21-22 we roll with Ullmark and UPL

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
I know Arizona has had trouble scoring but Ullmark has made some nice saves and looks very confidant in his first game of the season.

Lots of talk about the other young guys, I just thought Ullmark deserves a bump as he could be a key piece to this teams future.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
He is the same age (25) that Miller was when he became the true starter in 2005. If Ullmark can keep it up we could see a 40-40 split before Linus takes over the majority of the starts in 2019.

And to think we had some fans here up in arms at the expansion draft over losing Carrier. Botterill has not gotten ANY credit for masterfully moving a nothing late round pick to ensure Vegas takes our dime a dozen 4th liner instead of our future #1 netminder. Scary to think we could have lost Petersen AND Ullmark at the same time.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
He looked good tonight. Nice to see.
Tempering optimism.
I know that’s sacrilegious around here :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad