Player Discussion Linus Ullmark

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I didn't say anything about protecting him. I just saying that it would be stupid to already determine that Tokarski isn't going to be part of the Sabres future when he is playing this well, or to determine that Ullmark is some far superior goalie to Tokarski when Tokarski is playing as well right now as Ullmark ever has in his career.
It's not stupid. Every pro goalie is capable of having a solid NHL stretch. Tokarski is an AHL goalie, #3 organizationally at best. He is replaceable in the off-season. It's flat-out wrong to say Tokarski is playing as well now as Ullmark ever has.

Reactions: Zman5778 and jc17

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
It's not stupid. Every pro goalie is capable of having a solid NHL stretch. Tokarski is an AHL goalie, #3 organizationally at best. He is replaceable in the off-season. It's flat-out wrong to say Tokarski is playing as well now as Ullmark ever has.

You are being kind. Most teams want a youngster as #3 in AHL. Sabres fans get crazy excited over nothing. Takes me back to Nolan Pratt and people telling me he was anything but a scrub.

finman8

Jun 17, 2012
Projecting a goalie at 31yo off of a six game sample size is the definition of outsmarting yourself.

Plus, Tokarski is already under contract for next season. So, this isn't an Ullmark or Tokarski thing.
Huge Tokarski fan, always have been. Has been rock solid in all games he's played on this stint. You say can't use 6 games as a sample, but if he
totally sived out 1 game - you would take that 1 game and call it a day. He's been "consistantly" good - you can't say he hasn't. Definitely deserves a
shot at back up next yr. Not Ullmark or Tokarski thing for sure - Tokarski is signed next yr. This guy has always won and played strong as long as he
is playing lots and that is what your seeing here. I for one, hope he gets backup next year.

Reactions: The Red Helmet

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Huge Tokarski fan, always have been. Has been rock solid in all games he's played on this stint. You say can't use 6 games as a sample, but if he
totally sived out 1 game - you would take that 1 game and call it a day. He's been "consistantly" good - you can't say he hasn't. Definitely deserves a
shot at back up next yr. Not Ullmark or Tokarski thing for sure - Tokarski is signed next yr. This guy has always won and played strong as long as he
is playing lots and that is what your seeing here. I for one, hope he gets backup next year.

The Sabres will need to go at least 3 deep in goal next season.

UPL needs another year to develop in Rochester.

The Sabres need to add two more goalies. And they will be better if they add two goalies that are better than Tokarski.

And this isn't about workload. Tokarski hasn't played a lot of game in his pro career. He has one season since 2014-15 with 35+ total games played.

His rookie pro season with 57 games played is his career high.

14-15 - 19 gp
15-16 - 18 gp
16-17 - 28 gp
17-18 - 39 gp
18-19 - 28 gp
19-20 - 18 gp
20-21 - 11 gp

That is an average of 23 games played per season.

Going with a guy like Tokarski as a back up is a move that a team with a big money #1 that will play a boatload of games. That is unlikely to be the Sabres next season.

finman8

Jun 17, 2012
I agree to disagree. Great thing about these boards is everyone can state their opinion and neither party is right or wrong.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
He's the same age Tim Thomas was when he broke into the NHL. The Hockey Gods were out playing golf and one of them said, "we've been awful tough on the Sabres for the last 10 years". And another one said, "Holy crap they must have slipped through the cracks. We have to make this up to them." The next day Ralph Krueger was fired and the miracles started.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I'd say Ullmark's agent overplayed his hand at this point. I wish him luck on going to the market and getting a better deal. I actually might be relieved if we lose him.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
This is a rough season to be goalie hunting in the offseason though. Not really any great options in the UFA crop and with the expansion draft several teams will be looking to add organizational depth. I think we HAVE to resign Ullmark but also have to keep the contract reasonable with his injury history. It's going to be a tough line to walk.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
I agree that while Ullmark might have the talent to take on the workload of a #1 goalie, he doesn't have the durability to actually make it happen. I would be really disappointed if the Sabres didn't bring in another #1A/#1B goalie if they re-sign Ullmark because he hasn't proven he can stay healthy

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
This is a rough season to be goalie hunting in the offseason though. Not really any great options in the UFA crop and with the expansion draft several teams will be looking to add organizational depth. I think we HAVE to resign Ullmark but also have to keep the contract reasonable with his injury history. It's going to be a tough line to walk.

If I could get shorter terms with Bernier or Reimer I'd rather go that way. Try a one-year deal reclamation program for 2nd string and overpay a guy like Andersen for one year. In general, put $6M to $6.5 M aside for two goalies.

Ullmark at 5 years x $5 M seems like overkill which Athletic said was rate. He likely turned down a deal like that. Ullmark past four years seems like a mistake. Sabres are sooooo bad at contracts. I can see them getting bluffed out for six years x $6 M. G-D help us with one more bad contract.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Ullmark isn't going to sign anything until he spends time with his family and they can talk it over. He's not looking for the best monetary deal. He wants what's best for his family. If the Sabres have any sense, they'll tell him he can go back to Sweden now instead of hoping he can get in a couple games at the end of the season.

Reactions: elchud

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Ullmark isn't going to sign anything until he spends time with his family and they can talk it over. He's not looking for the best monetary deal. He wants what's best for his family. If the Sabres have any sense, they'll tell him he can go back to Sweden now instead of hoping he can get in a couple games at the end of the season.

Makes sense, any UFA who wants to think about their future after being with this team for the last 5 years plus has a right. I cannot blame him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00