Line Combos: Lineups Discussion Part II

HabsFan76

Nov 3, 2011
Canada
Andrighetto is an AHL'er no speed, no shot, no hand, always fall on the a..

sorry but can see what Habs seeing in him

Andrighetto's wrist shot is pretty good, better than most on the Habs at least. Also has a decent slap shot. I believe one the goals he scored this year was on a wicked one-timer.

The rest of his game could definitely see improvement though as you said.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Top six actually looks interesting...bottom six though :facepalm.

Why play Byron and Mitchell on their off-wings? Why Andrighetto on the fourth instead of Mitchell?

Still, excited to see Big Mac in an offensive role, let's see him get his first tonight!

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Top six actually looks interesting...bottom six though :facepalm.

Why play Byron and Mitchell on their off-wings? Why Andrighetto on the fourth instead of Mitchell?

I don't think they are on their off wing and:

I would play GALCHENYUK at right wing... I don't understand. Happy that they try McCarron with 'scorers'

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Andrighetto is an AHL'er no speed, no shot, no hand, always fall on the a..

sorry but can see what Habs seeing in him

Drink Warm milk and sleep well tonight.

Andrighetto has good speed and a good shot. His only knock is size not in terms of weight but in terms of height because he is well built. Could hit more though.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Meh. Ghetto was all over the puck vs the Sharks, his line being the only one causing any trouble for the Sharks. Seems logical to separate them. At least it's to make space for McCarron. I'm hoping McCarron at C can stick seeing as the organization has all but given up on Galchenyuk at C. I'd prefer to see Galch on the RW instead of Eller, but Therrien is clueless as usual.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Or, you know, Galchenyuk at Centre...

Not for me. I want him to not worry too much about defensive play. I want him to score goals. That's why I see him playing on RW.

Eller-McCarron-Galchenyuk is a big strong line. I like that a lot.

Happy about Ellis playing his first game tonight, he went through a lot last year. Maybe he could be a surprise for us next year.

habalifeok

Oct 28, 2013
Or, you know, Galchenyuk at Centre...

I think Galchenyuk can play any forward position. I also think he can play any forward position well. At this point in time its all about the team and not individuals. Try anyone including Hudon. Lot of hockey to see various players before next season and even into next season.
Price will get them into playoffs next season in the meantime play anybody and everybody.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The only time Galchenyuk should be the wing is on the half wall on the power-play.

His skillset is so much more well suited for center. Just look at him gaining zone entrance. 90% of the time he'll do it down the middle.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
I think Galchenyuk can play any forward position. I also think he can play any forward position well. At this point in time its all about the team and not individuals. Try anyone including Hudon. Lot of hockey to see various players before next season and even into next season.
Price will get them into playoffs next season in the meantime play anybody and everybody.

There is very good evidence to suggest Galchenyuk would be better at RW as opposed to LW. I don't mind him at wing as much as others but he needs to see the middle of the ice in some way. I don't mind him playing to left if you want to give McCarron a shot and rationalize that he would be more comfortable as a rookie on his natural side and position, that is fine. But if your top 6 wingers are Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty and Carr/Ghetto, I feel the former two should absolutely be the guys at the right side.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Glad McCarron gets to play top6 but Chucky should be centering a line for the rest of the season no matter what.

I don't give a **** if he ends up -3 some nights, keep him there the rest of the way.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The only time Galchenyuk should be the wing is on the half wall on the power-play.

His skillset is so much more well suited for center. Just look at him gaining zone entrance. 90% of the time he'll do it down the middle.
Hopefully when, not if MT gets fired, you should be our coach!!! We can see this, but the buffoon who can make it happen...can't? MT seems to have an axe to grind with some our players...PK, Chucky, Eller? WTF?

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
Hopefully when, not if MT gets fired, you should be our coach!!! We can see this, but the buffoon who can make it happen...can't? MT seems to have an axe to grind with some our players...PK, Chucky, Eller? WTF?

Add to that Byron on the 3rd with Andrighetto on the 4th, and DLR ofc centering his line.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
They'll probably get scored on 2-3 times a game, but who cares? They might body check and/or punch someone! :sarcasm:

We've iced far worse 4th lines in the past. I'drather put out a line that brings something different than a lesser offensive line. Guys like Flinn and DSP bring nothing to the table. We've been enduring the most boring, flat team in the history of the franchise.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
if is shot was so deadly he'll probably have more than 6 goals in 29 games

He has the highest G/60 rate on the Habs at even strength.

He has 6 goals in 29 games at even strength, often playing in very limited roles.

Pacioretty, for the sake of comparison, has 12 in 63 games.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Not for me. I want him to not worry too much about defensive play. I want him to score goals. That's why I see him playing on RW.

Eller-McCarron-Galchenyuk is a big strong line. I like that a lot.

Happy about Ellis playing his first game tonight, he went through a lot last year. Maybe he could be a surprise for us next year.

Galchenyuk's play defensively is fine. Not great, but fine. And for people that want to see more goals scored, Galchenyuk generates more scoring chances for the team when he plays at centre. That was well documented in the first half of the season with stats, and the eye test to be honest.

Fair enough. If you want to frame it as "Galchenyuk is strong at any position", then put him on wing to get a better look at other guys like McCarron, that's not the worst way to interpret it. The thing is, the most glaring need for this team (once Price is back) is a #1C. The only guy in the entire Habs system that 'could' fill that role is Galchenyuk. Why on earth would you not use the last 20 games to get a better idea about whether he can really fill that role. In my mind, THAT is a higher priority than giving other guys like McCarron and Hudon a look in a specific position.

100% agree. Again, this seems to be clear both from advanced stats, and the eye test.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I don't think they are on their off wing and:

I would play GALCHENYUK at right wing... I don't understand. Happy that they try McCarron with 'scorers'

That's insane. I like McCarron at centre because he's only played that position in the Habs/Ice Caps system and seemed lost on wing. But Therrien's issue with Galchenyuk playing centre was his defensive game...so the answer is you put a rookie at centre and Eller on his off wing?? This team is full of contradictions.

What makes more sense?
a) Galchenyuk - McCarron - Eller
b) Eller - Galchenyuk - McCarron

I know my answer.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Would love to see next year:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Andrighetto
X1 - Plekanec - Gallagher
Eller - McCarron - Carr
Byron - Danault - Mitchell

X2 - Subban