De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
McPing-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-O'Reilly-Hejduk
Mitchell-Stastny-Jones
Mcleod-Olver-Kobasew

I don't think it's reasonable to allow Stastny to be supplanted by O'Reilly immediately, when hes 19 games behind the rest of the roster. Sure if Stastny falters... I'm sure that will happen but, not right away.

I think we run three centers,

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau

Landeskog - Stastny - Jones

Mitchell - O'Reilly - Hejduk

McLeod/Kobasew

Kobasew kills penalties and having McLeod & Bordy in the lineup is redundant. That does leave Palushaj, Olver & Bordy in the press box, but I think we are fine until EJ comes back.

Last edited:

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I don't think it's reasonable to allow Stastny to be supplanted by O'Reilly immediately, when hes 19 games behind the rest of the roster. Sure if Stastny falters... I'm sure that will happen but, not right away.

I think we run three centers,

McLeod/Kobasew

Kobasew kills penalties and having McLeod & Bordy in the lineup is redundant. That does leave Palushaj, Olver & Bordy in the press box, but I think we are fine until EJ comes back.

Didn't really intend to place them in a certain order as lines 1-2-3, I'm thinking they will all probably play similar minutes (for how much ROR is making, I'm sure they're gonna give him enough ice time to prove his work :laugh: )

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I think the 3 scoring line thing is never going to work. You've got to keep that many wingers healthy but more than that there just isn't enough ice time to go around to keep all 3 guys happy. All 3 of them play better with more minutes and more responsibilities. Only thing is if Stastny is willing to take more limited minutes and a bit of a paycut on an extension but I don't see why he would do that.

I think if we want to use all of our big guns and maximize their value we've got to stack up the top 6.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Kobasew - Olver - McLeod

??

Man, too bad Downie is out.

My lines:

x-Stastny-Jones
Landeskog-O'Reilly-x

x can be whoever plays well that day, I think those combinations should be used.

Last edited:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think the 3 scoring line thing is never going to work. You've got to keep that many wingers healthy but more than that there just isn't enough ice time to go around to keep all 3 guys happy. All 3 of them play better with more minutes and more responsibilities. Only thing is if Stastny is willing to take more limited minutes and a bit of a paycut on an extension but I don't see why he would do that.

I think if we want to use all of our big guns and maximize their value we've got to stack up the top 6.

How are you going to do that? you can't put everyone on top-6. We have 3centers as well and Matt is playing great and winning faceoffs. You have to keep him centering first line. Stastny is getting better. O'Reilly should be put on 3rd line at first. he hasn't played NHL game in a while.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

There is 60 minutes in a hockey game and nothing says your 4th line has to play a certain amount. I proved we have the cap if they structure the salary right. We can basically run 3 centers, and on top of that with Duchene's play... any one of our three centers can be put out in defensive situations as well.

Screw having a 4th line, give all three of our centers 18-21 minutes of ice time and which ever wingers fit the situation. Pitt has proved it can be done, so why can't we? Because we don't have Crosby and Malkin? Bull ****... If all three of our centers can play 20 minutes a night and be used in practically any situation we are better off, besides... We actually used to be quite dangerous on the PK for shorthanded points, we will have that again now.

We have guys like Olver & Mitchell who can play wing or center, as long as you have those guys in the lineup and on the roster for when injuries hit. You are fine...

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
There is 60 minutes in a hockey game and nothing says your 4th line has to play a certain amount. I proved we have the cap if they structure the salary right. We can basically run 3 centers, and on top of that with Duchene's play... any one of our three centers can be put out in defensive situations as well.

Screw having a 4th line, give all three of our centers 18-21 minutes of ice time and which ever wingers fit the situation. Pitt has proved it can be done, so why can't we? Because we don't have Crosby and Malkin? Bull ****... If all three of our centers can play 20 minutes a night and be used in practically any situation we are better off, besides... We actually used to be quite dangerous on the PK for shorthanded points, we will have that again now.

Exactly. Just cut some icetime from fourth line and we should be golden. Sucks though, because I have liked our fourth line's effort. McLeod, Olver they have done decent job. Good hustle every time and so on.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
What about Sgarbossa on the wing?
Just an idea, not so sure if it would work but I thought he really looked good when he was with the Avs.

Sgarbossa - Duchene - PAP
McGinn - O'Reilly - Hejduk
McLeod - Mitchell - Kobasew

Something like that maybe?

If not, put McGinn back with Duchene and let Olver play the wing on O'Reilly's line.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

I've been thinking/saying this same thing.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
What about Sgarbossa on the wing?
Just an idea, not so sure if it would work but I thought he really looked good when he was with the Avs.

Sgarbossa - Duchene - PAP
McGinn - O'Reilly - Hejduk
McLeod - Mitchell - Kobasew

Something like that maybe?

If not, put McGinn back with Duchene and let Olver play the wing on O'Reilly's line.

I think we should keep McGinn and Duchene together. They seem to doing well.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Exactly. Just cut some icetime from fourth line and we should be golden. Sucks though, because I have liked our fourth line's effort. McLeod, Olver they have done decent job. Good hustle every time and so on.

Those guys will get time but on the wings, the guys who will really hurt are McLeod, Bordy and Kobasew. McLeod and Bordy become redundant to have both dressed but Kobasew can play on the PK.

Mitchell/Landeskog - O'Reilly - Olver/Hejduk

Mcleod - O'Reilly/Stastny - Kobasew

Almost all of our centers have proven they can play with all of our wingers except Jones, Jones plays with Stastny and as a fill in on the PK pretty much. Landeskog can play anywhere as well.

Just depends on the matchups and situations. Stastny & O'Reilly can play pretty well with bottom six guys, which is why I put them down there.

I think we should keep McGinn and Duchene together. They seem to doing well.

I'd love to see Sgarbossa get a shot at wing next to O'Reilly, but I don't have a clue how it will happen. Olver would have to clear waivers, and so would anyone else we kick off the roster besides Bordy.

That's 23 with Elliott, and EJ is looking like it won't be long before he returns making Elliott go back to the minors unless we trade someone. I think after the deadline is the soonest we will see him get another shot. If we can get healthy enough to move one of Zannon or O'Byrne.

Last edited:

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
RoR probably gets put on the third line. Stasnty has been put through a lot during his time here getting shafted with linemates, to be pushed down for RoR immediately after that contract dispute would have to mentally end him, might as well trade him. He was great with landeskog. If he can play wing awesome, but keep him with landeskog.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
RoR probably gets put on the third line. Stasnty has been put through a lot during his time here getting shafted with linemates, to be pushed down for RoR immediately after that contract dispute would have to mentally end him, might as well trade him. He was great with landeskog. If he can play wing awesome, but keep him with landeskog.

Yeah I don't think Sacco is even dumb ass enough to supplant Stastny immediately. Stastny also has 11 points in the last 13 games, (The 13th game is his two point game where he broke out of his scorless streak to start the season.) from that time on he has put up a 70 point pace (69.4 technically). He's also only had Landeskog for 4 games and Landeskog didn't start firing on all cylinders until CGY. Before that he had a rotation of Mitchell/Hejduk & Palushaj in rotation along with Jones being on the wrong side of his streaky play. Basically a tweener (Jones) and AHL/3rd/4th line wingers.

The fact that he put up even a 55-60 point pace before Landeskog coming back, says a little bit at least.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ping - Duchene - PAP
Landy - ROR - Stas
Hejduk - Mitchell - Jones
McCleod - Troll - Kobasew/Bords/Pajamas

I think we should load up the top 6 and play them 20 Minutes a night each. Give Mitchell's line around 14, and the 4th line 6 Mins.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
These line combos make me miss Downie even more.

Yup, 3 scoring lines and we woulda been able to make some noise pushing for playoffs.

Unless we load up the Top 6 and play them a lot, I still don't think we'll make much noise. Another 8th-11th overall pick. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but we coulda been playing in May this year if Downie was here.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yup, 3 scoring lines and we woulda been able to make some noise pushing for playoffs.

Unless we load up the Top 6 and play them a lot, I still don't think we'll make much noise. Another 8th-11th overall pick. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but we coulda been playing in May this year if Downie was here.

Cmon ROR will help us a lot and Jones and Statsny playing up to their potential.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
At first (until ROR shows he has his game legs and shakes what little rust he may have)
McGinn-Dutch-PAP
Lando-Staz-Jones
Olver/Duke-ROR-Duke/Pajamas
McLeod-Mitchell-Kobasew

I would be comfortable rolling 4 lines this way all game.

Think we'll need to start shopping some guys though by deadline.
Bords (UFA) Habs would love him. McLeod more useful in similar role
Kobasew (UFA) Most likely not back next year anyway
Staz - But might be better come draft day once he gets the "Lando Bump" in his #s
ROB (UFA)- EJ and Wilson returning, Need the space.
SOB/Hunwick- See ROB

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
No offense to the Mitchell or Hejduk, but if that's who RoR gets put with when he returns, then Ryan isn't even getting a chance to live up to the contract that the Avs just matched.

He can work his butt off, and he might make them better players, but there's only so much one player can do for his 2 other linemates, and Hejduk is an aging, shadow of his former self, and Mitchell is....well, he's good for the Bottom 6.

But the people in this thread saying that Downie's absence is more noticeable now...you're right, it definitely is.

We can hope that the Avs and Sherman have some sort of plan for this, whether it's a trade or what, but to put ROR on the 3rd line w/ Mitchell and Hejduk, he's not even getting a legitimate chance to live up to that deal.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
My suggestion

Landeskog - O'Reilly - Jones
Mitchell - Stastny - Hejduk
McLeod - Olver - Kobasew/Palushaj

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
At first it should be like this:

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-Stastny-Jones
Mitchell-ROR-Hejduk
McLeod-Olver-Kobasew

After a 5-10 games:

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Hejduk/Jones (whichever has better chemistry)
Mitchell-Stastny-Hejduk/Jones
McLeod-Olver-Kobasew

With ROR being a RFA and being the player that he is (hard working, great defense, #2C), Stastny really needs to go for next season for salary and cap reasons and he might be able to bring back a top 4 defensemen. It will get back to the traditional top 6/bottom 6. Get rid of Jones for something (and free up some cap space for 14-15) and have:

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
McLeod-Mitchell-UFA
Olver-Malone-Bordy/Kobasew (I want both re-signed)

Or if we have to run 3 scoring lines:

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Downie
Mitchell/UFA-Sgarbossa-Jones (keep him if 3 scoring lines are a priority)
Olver-Mitchell/Malone-Bordy/Kobasew

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
No offense to the Mitchell or Hejduk, but if that's who RoR gets put with when he returns, then Ryan isn't even getting a chance to live up to the contract that the Avs just matched.

He can work his butt off, and he might make them better players, but there's only so much one player can do for his 2 other linemates, and Hejduk is an aging, shadow of his former self, and Mitchell is....well, he's good for the Bottom 6.

But the people in this thread saying that Downie's absence is more noticeable now...you're right, it definitely is.

We can hope that the Avs and Sherman have some sort of plan for this, whether it's a trade or what, but to put ROR on the 3rd line w/ Mitchell and Hejduk, he's not even getting a legitimate chance to live up to that deal.

For the first 5 games or so until he shakes off the rust I don't mind him playing with Mitchell and Hejduk, but after that I think he needs to go back with Landeskog.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For the first 5 games or so until he shakes off the rust I don't mind him playing with Mitchell and Hejduk, but after that I think he needs to go back with Landeskog.

I can understand that, but for people saying that ROR doesn't "deserve" to be in the Top-6, well, Sports Franchises are businesses as well, they can't afford to hold grudges like that. If ROR shows he needs to be in the Top 6, they need to put him there. Can't trade him for a year anyway, so you need to get the best out of him, that way if they want to trade him, he's still an appealing asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad