Lines with ROR

ThunderBird

Mar 28, 2011
I think Landy has brought a little fire and urgency to the Staz line. I started to see it in the third period of the Sharks game and last night I thought that line had a lot of jump.

If ROR line is struggling after a few games and Staz line is still going. I would try lines that looked like this.

Duke/Duchene/PAP
Landy/Staz/Jones
McGinn/ROR/Mitchell

The other line
Mcleod/Kobasew/Bordy

you have 4 centers that can double shift and if there is no faceoff then Koba can play center, and you still have Koba and Mcleod for PK duty. I think Mcleod has played better this year because he isn't talking on the enforcer role if Bordy wasn't there then he has to try and take that role on.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I don't like moving Ginner to O'Reilly's line. O'Ry, regardless of linemates, will always be a cycling centreman who's offense is generated on sustained pressure down low. Ginner is all about the speed off the rush, getting that open space, and unleashing his shot. Both Staz and Dutchy suit that game a lot more. The reason I love O'Reilly and Landeskog together is that they absolutely dominate board play and anything below the goal lines. Anyways, keep Ginner with Dutchy or if anything, put him back with Staz. I just don't see him and O'Reilly as a good fit.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
McGinn Duchene Parenteau
Landeskog Stastny Jones
Olver O'Reilly Hejduk
Kobasew Mitchell Bordeleau

Once O'Reilly is back to speed, you evaluate how the lines are working and make changes.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't like moving Ginner to O'Reilly's line. O'Ry, regardless of linemates, will always be a cycling centreman who's offense is generated on sustained pressure down low. Ginner is all about the speed off the rush, getting that open space, and unleashing his shot. Both Staz and Dutchy suit that game a lot more. The reason I love O'Reilly and Landeskog together is that they absolutely dominate board play and anything below the goal lines. Anyways, keep Ginner with Dutchy or if anything, put him back with Staz. I just don't see him and O'Reilly as a good fit.

This! The reason the Landeskog-ROR-Downie line worked so well is because they were great at puck possession and cycling. McGinn isn't great at controlling the puck, but he has a great shot and can cause turnovers, he either fits with a line that can feed him shots while other people handle it, or a line that produces on the rush.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Landy will stay with Staz to increase his value for when he's actually traded.

ThunderBird

Mar 28, 2011

The only reason I want Landy to stay with Staz is because that line has done nothing until Landy jump started it. Hopefully ROR can jump start another line and then Duchy and PAP will continue to roll. That gives us three pretty good lines. Maybe with Pajamas, facing inferior comp, and better zone starts Staz's line could also do ok.

The problem is we need about 2 or 6 more Landeskogs.

Lets get to cloning.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The only reason I want Landy to stay with Staz is because that line has done nothing until Landy jump started it. Hopefully ROR can jump start another line and then Duchy and PAP will continue to roll. That gives us three pretty good lines. Maybe with Pajamas, facing inferior comp, and better zone starts Staz's line could also do ok.

The problem is we need about 2 or 6 more Landeskogs.

Lets get to cloning.

Erne might be an option in the future.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I'd like them to keep the Stastny and Duchene lines together for now.

This is just me as a fan talking, but I want to see them bring up Sgarbossa to play with O'Reilly. I think having that solid defensive presence would help elevate Bossy's game, and give him a little more freedom. Plus, I think Bossy deserves a solid shot with offensively gifted linemates...and some actual TOI.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

This is just me as a fan talking, but I want to see them bring up Sgarbossa to play with O'Reilly. I think having that solid defensive presence would help elevate Bossy's game, and give him a little more freedom. Plus, I think Bossy deserves a solid shot with offensively gifted linemates...and some actual TOI.

I agree with this. Whoever else is on that line is not as offensively talented as Sgarbossa. Not Hejduk, Not Mitchell/Olver/McLeod, whoever else they can think of to put on it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

It would be something worth trying at the very least. Sgarbossa could probably look good on either Stastny or ROR's wing. It just seems like the organization might have laid down the law that Sgarbossa needs to stay at center until he proves he can't play there. His long-term role right now it to replace Stastny or ROR in a couple years.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Keep the top 2 lines together for now, and put O'Reilly with Hejduk. Throw Mitchell on the left wing to start, see how it goes and if it's not working switch him with Olver or Mcleod - who has been playing really well.

More importantly, O'Reilly is going to give a big boost to our special teams.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Hejduk
Mitchell - Stastny - Jones
McLeod - Olver - Kobasew
Bordeleau

Those lines are pretty much accurate . You find good chemistry on every one of the first 3 lines . At the start of the season , that was pretty much the plan to roll 3 scoring lines and that's what we'll have right now . It's pretty much 1A , 1B and 1C , and the ice time will depend on who's hot that particular night ... Sad that Steve Downie was injured for the season .

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Those lines are pretty much accurate . You find good chemistry on every one of the first 3 lines . At the start of the season , that was pretty much the plan to roll 3 scoring lines and that's what we'll have right now . It's pretty much 1A , 1B and 1C , and the ice time will depend on who's hot that particular night ... Sad that Steve Downie was injured for the season .

I wouldn't call Stastny, Mitchell, Jones a scoring line, they won't do anything.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

I like the idea of bringing The Boss up and adding more talent to the top 3 lines, but here's my reasoning for not putting him with O'Reilly...

Although we want to achieve three scoring lines, somewhat like we tried to roll last year, at the end of the day, it was the O'Reilly line that took all of our important faceoffs and got the shutdown duties against the other teams best line. I like Sgarbossa, but the beauty of Landy and Downie as wingers for O'Ry meant that line could shut down the best of them... in ADDITION to being scoring threats.

I'm open to lots of suggestions, ultimately I just want us to win, but I think it's important to keep the O'Reilly line as that two-way function unit... they can cycle like beasts and score a goal, or be tenacious defensively and shut down an opposing top line. I like that flexibility, I think Sacco does too.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Obviously the first couple games back O'reilly will center the 3rd line just to get back playing NHL minutes after a long break.

But beyond that, TPS is right, we want to win games and to me unless the CGY game is a sign of things to come for Landeskog/Staz (my guess, it's not), we want Landeskog back with Stastny. Stastny scored a couple last time we played Calgary too, and then went Casper all over again. We also want to make sure we're not wasting Staz - either for his trade value or just to get the most out of our players.

That's why I think we've gotta at least see if he can move to wing for a couple games. He is good at making plays from the wall and could keep up a strong cycle with Landeskog/ROR.

Whichever line winds up with Mitchell and Hejduk on the wings is not a scoring line - its a tweener line that's not great at playing defense and not great at scoring.

Mcginn - Duchene - PAP 21 mins
Landeskog - O'reilly - Staz 21 mins
Jones - Mitchell - Hejduk 12 mins
Mcleod - Olver - Kobasew/Bordy 6 mins

Git r' done.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
When dealing with three scoring lines I've always felt it's probably better to think of the lines in pairs rather than a threesome.

Dutch-PAP
Landy-ROR
Staz-PBR (as in Pabst Blue Ribbon)

Keep the pairs together so you maintain chemistry but fill in around them as defensive/offensive situations, injuries, hot/cold streaks or whatever dictates. Too hard to rely on keeping 9 guys healthy on our roster so simplify it as best you can and roll with the punches and adapt.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I wouldn't call Stastny, Mitchell, Jones a scoring line, they won't do anything.

Agreed it would be completely useless, and Staz would probably be looking at something like 0.3/0.4 PPG playing with guys like that. Good luck trading him for any value, or keeping him around in UFA, in that situation.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

Well we just ran out of good Wings for Stasny( i've read about that b4 no ? :sarcasm:) .
But on paper it's suppose to be a 3 lines scoring roster . Just add Downie with Radar and put Duke on LW with Stastny and it looks a lot better .

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Stastny played some wing early in his career, no? I'd be interested in seeing him on the wing of O'Reilly and Landeskog. I'm kind of thinking we should just stack the top two lines, if it's possible.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think Sacco keeps Landy and Stastny together for the mean time but he shouldn't.

My lines:

Mcginn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-ROR-Hejduk
Olver-Stastny-Jones

You could maybe switch Hejduk and Olver?

What I see Sacco rolling with:

Mcginn-Duchene-PAP
Landy-Stastny-Jones
Mitchell-ROR-Hejduk

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I've yet to be impressed with Mitchell on a wing. McLeod would be my preference at 3LW, but then Mitchell is stuck as 4C which is a waste too.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If O'Reilly plays 3rd line, I think he'll be the 1st ever 6.5 mill 3rd line center in NHL history.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If O'Reilly plays 3rd line, I think he'll be the 1st ever 6.5 mill 3rd line center in NHL history.

Horcof is making 5M and that is still worse IMO, O'Reilly's cap hit is 5M as well, it evens out for a reason.

You can't beat Horcof making 5M for years and years and years as a third line center. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad