Confirmed with Link: Lindy to Canucks for F Kuzmenko, D Hunter Brzustewicz, D Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st, Cond. 2024 4th

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Does this mean Calgary won't have an All Star at the big game? Or do we get to pick someone else and do it right this time... < cough cough... Coleman.. >
I think same happened with Horvat. Just repped old team for ASG.
Really loving Conroy’s philosophy he is taking to retooling this team. Flipping our upcoming UFAs for players who have shown top notch ability in this league but whose value are low due to extenuating circumstances. Sharangovich’s role got turned upside down after a bunch of player movement on NJ after walking into the league pacing for 20+ goals both seasons. Kuzmenko entered the league potting 39 goals and 74 points, but didn’t fit under his new coach. People can point to his lofty shooting percentage but he also had pretty low shot volumes as he adjusted to the league and NA ice. The fact we are also adding multiple assets to players who can hopefully bounce back and match production values is some deft manouvering. We could come out of this adding a 1st, 3rd, conditional 4th, the CHLs leading scorer amongst defenseman, and an additional prospect while receiving equivalent production (even if they lack in additional areas the other players provided).

I imagine Calgary will give him a very solid top 6 role and put him in the best position to succeed to maximize his value. If Calgary’s retooling efforts pay off and the team has a bounce back we get free assets. If not hopefully he can be flipped at next trade deadline for another 1st+.

As an aside, Calgary’s lines become pretty hard to predict after the trade. Simplest solution is to shift Sharangovich to centre and roll similar lines but with Huberdeau-Sharangovich-Kuzmenko, but that may be the worst line defensively in the entire league. If Zary is ready to make the jump to centre it could alleviate a bunch of problems but that’s also a big ask. With Pelletier almost back the top 9 could look something like:

Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Pelletier-Kadri-Pospisil
Huberdeau-Zary-Kuzmenko

With the Zary line getting insanely sheltered offensive minutes. Ruzicka picked the wrong first half of a season to be useless, his opportunity has finally shown up.
Treliving did this too early on. But he was selling dudes of Hudler, Glencross and Russell caliber vs Lindholm, Tanev and Hanifin caliber.

We hit on guys like Anderson, Kylington etc and squandered some pics compete mandate vs rebuild. But overall still better off than keeping UFA. I bet we match that track record and exceed it due to the high caliber assets involved.

From what it sounds like was Bruz was not interested in signing in Vancouver. I think having an American GM in Conroy hes really been an asset in helping us sign these American prospect.

Who cares. It’s in Toronto and I had no interest in watching it anyway. Lol.

Sounds like Fox scenario minus the NYC or bust idea. Vanc is blocked up, but after Andersson, with Tanev Leaving, who else is going to be RD?

He is ahead of Boltmann for sure if RD.

He was on Calgary radio. But also Conroy talked to his agent to gauge whether he’d be interested in signing in Calgary and his side was positive about his opportunities in Calgary over Vancouver. Obviously with Hughes, Honek, and Willander he was not going to have much opportunity. In Calgary he’s our top RH D prospect

Flames are wide open after Weegar and Andersson so far (Assuming Hanifin and Tanev out). Even if Flames somehow get a #3 and #4, 5-7 slots open is a ton of opportunity. Reality wise, 4-7 are probably open.

Overall I'm happy with this return. Surprised how much we got and there's still opportunity for the assets to increase in value. Good trade. :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: andora and flames23

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This is an excellent return. I was hoping for a 1st and Brzustewicz with one of Kuzmenko or Myers for cap purposes for Lindholm at 50%. No retention a 3rd of 4th rounder along with a likely dud? That's an excellent trade.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
This is an excellent return. I was hoping for a 1st and Brzustewicz with one of Kuzmenko or Myers for cap purposes for Lindholm at 50%. No retention a 3rd of 4th rounder along with a likely dud? That's an excellent trade.

I think JJ is sorta the buddy system for Tuulola. Keeps eyes in Liiga for other purposes. As a freebie, it's a decently useful one even if he never comes to north America.

Brewski as a RHS Poirier caliber player to slowly develop is good.

No retention is great. Not sure what we'll do with it though, but Canucks still low key increased their cap space in this move. I don't think they're done.

Reactions: andora

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Who is going to the all star game for calgary now?

Last edited:

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
It's nice to add a 1st for a change, at least. I guess we couldn't hope for too much of a return considering Lindholm's play post-Gaudreau.

Not a big fan of Brzustewicz, questionable hockey IQ, poor transition player, poor foot speed. Maybe he can make it in a Shattenkirk sense, a defensive liability who is useful on the PP but not a player teams win with. I prefer Poirier to him but I'm not a big fan of him either .Vancouver was wise to move him while his value is peaking.

Jurmo was a guy I was intrigued with in his draft year as I thought he had room for a lot of growth but he hasn't shown any of that potential growth since his draft and has been bouncing around Liiga teams, he was likely just a throw-in that Vancouver wasn't intending to sign by June.

Collectively, meh.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

MM917

Aug 18, 2022
Have you ever said anything positive about the flames, their players, or management in your almost 1k posts? Cause I don’t think I can remember one.

I said it was a good trade is that not positive or does everything have to be over the top ridiculous homerism?

Since I have been here there has been very little positives to talk about with the team.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Not sure if we'll end up with much in the end from this trade but Lindholm had to go and it doesn't seem like other teams were willing to pay up for him.

Reactions: lightstorm

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Entirely possible this ends up like the Bouwmeester trade but I think in terms of value now it’s better. Especially considering Lindy’s stat sheet this year.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
A 1st and two prospects for a rental seems about right. Not sure what people were hoping for

Last edited:
Reactions: joescores

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
So we won’t have anyone representing us at the ASG now
I am so sad

People talk about Lindholm like he's not still on pace for 50+ points. He's not scoring, but he is still producing and still playing excellent away from the puck.
No that’s garbage for the guy with primary PP time and top 6 ice time with the team best players. He is solid on the face off, and good defense. That’s it

Now if they have 2 stars carrying him….

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
It's nice to add a 1st for a change, at least. I guess we couldn't hope for too much of a return considering Lindholm's play post-Gaudreau.

Not a big fan of Brzustewicz, questionable hockey IQ, poor transition player, poor foot speed. Maybe he can make it in a Shattenkirk sense, a defensive liability who is useful on the PP but not a player teams win with. I prefer Poirier to him but I'm not a big fan of him either .Vancouver was wise to move him while his value is peaking.

Jurmo was a guy I was intrigued with in his draft year as I thought he had room for a lot of growth but he hasn't shown any of that potential growth since his draft and has been bouncing around Liiga teams, he was likely just a throw-in that Vancouver wasn't intending to sign by June.

Collectively, meh.
They are as good prospects you can get for rental

Only delusional people think they can get blue chips for rental

Reactions: Some Other Flame

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Don't know anything about these guys we just got, but I like the fact that Conroy is actually doing the two things he said he'd do: deal with the upcoming UFAs and give our prospects a real opportunity in the NHL.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Was really worried about injuries to the UFAs so ecstatic Conroy dealt at least one well before deadline. Return looks solid; agree with the one poster - anyone not liking this deal what do you think we would get???? The mid standings teams aren’t trading us a pick likely in the 10-16 range plus an A prospect. Conroy did very well here.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
A 1st and two prospects for a rental seems about right. Not sure what people were hoping for

This seems really steep for a guy pacing less than 20 goals and just over 50 points to be honest. I know Lindy brings a lot of other stuff too but that seems like a major package.

Kuzmenko has another year, and people forget, is coming off 71 last year. In reality, Calgary could force feed the guy production and flip him.

We don’t know what the comvo was there. ‘Hey we got you a month early, come in, play hard, show people you can produce and we’ll find you a new landing spot’.

Really nicely done by Conroy so far.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Collectively, meh.

Definitely some risk with Brzustewicz, but I was thinking about it after reading your comment, and many of those complaints were ones we heard about Andersson once upon a time too.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Definitely some risk with Brzustewicz, but I was thinking about it after reading your comment, and many of those complaints were ones we heard about Andersson once upon a time too.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe he’s not the most agile skater or the most sound defensively but it remains that the number one factor for predicting future success in prospects is production

He has production coming out of his ass

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I was thinking the exact same thing. Maybe he’s not the most agile skater or the most sound defensively but it remains that the number one factor for predicting future success in prospects is production

He has production coming out of his ass
And much rather Brzustewicz than Mark Cundari :naughty:

Reactions: Khrox

YippeeKiYay

Feb 3, 2015
What would you all say to a top 9 that looks like:

Huby-Backs-Kuzy
Pospi-Kadri-Shary
Mangi-Zary-Coleman

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
What would you all say to a top 9 that looks like:

Huby-Backs-Kuzy
Pospi-Kadri-Shary
Mangi-Zary-Coleman
Doubtful Backs and Coleman get broken up and honestly why would you want to? Most likely Sharangoalvich gets slid back to center. Zary probably makes the switch next season.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I think zary kadri kuz would be a very good line, ive given up on find a fit for huberdeau, no one works with him chemisry wise

Reactions: andora

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

Andersson comparison is a little odd IMO. I don't think their games when drafted were similar, are they? I view Brewski in the same vein as Poirier criticism wise. If anything, Brewski emulating Poirier is an excellent way to approach his development... Hey, it's that weird buddy system similar ilk development thing again. I'm seriously starting to conclude it's intentional.

If we could develop someone like Ghost or Barrie out of him that's still really good. If we get a flawed 2/3 out of him, that's a home run.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
I know people like to point to Lindholm's offensive totals this year, but that wasn't even my concern or issue with him.. He's shooting 6%. That's going to bounce back to his averages, and the goals and points will come.

The issue I had with him was his play at five on five where for years he has excelled, and made those around him better. It was the complete opposite of that this season for whatever reason and he made those around him worse. Now, I think that is mostly due to him no longer being invested in this group or organization, but man, I don't think this team will miss what he was providing this year outside of the PK.

He's still a phenomenal player though and 50 games doesn't change that. If he's motivated (which I am sure he will be) Vancouver got one hell of a player who can contribute in every facet of the game.

I wasn't exactly thrilled when the idea of Kuzmenko and a 1st was being thrown around over the past few weeks, but the addition of Brzustewicz and other additional throw in's makes this deal more than palatable. Brzustewicz was the clear #3 prospect in Vancouver for me, and he's a kid who has the upside to potentially play in a top four role one day.

I think both sides are, and should be happy with the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad