RIP Ronnie

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
RIP Ronnie Ellis. Thanks for the memories.

Maple Leafs great Ron Ellis dies at 79

1715451552501.png

Attachments

• 1715451631334.png
    1715451631334.png
    92.5 KB · Views: 1

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
RIP Ronnie Ellis. Thanks for the memories.

Maple Leafs great Ron Ellis dies at 79

View attachment 868967
Sorry to hear this. I was a big fan of his north-south style and great shot. He also lived in Woodbridge for many years making him one of the few celebrities who made his home here. I feel he was a little underrated but he did play on a great line with Henderson and Clarke in the Summit Series so his contributions were appreciated.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I only saw his latter years, and the most vivid of them were the last couple when he seemed ancient by comparison to the rest of the club at 34, 35 years old. Amazing how perspective has changed with advances to sports medicine and training.

None the less a vivid part of my childhood and inseparable from its memory.

Rest in peace, Ron Ellis.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Sorry to hear this. I was a big fan of his north-south style and great shot. He also lived in Woodbridge for many years making him one of the few celebrities who made his home here.

When did he move to Woodbridge? He lived in Brampton forever.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
My parents knew him and his wife years ago, and I had met him many times. Wonderful guy.

I've always wondered why the team never gave him more recognition or retired his number.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
When my son informed me of Ron's death late this afternoon, it hit my hard, and I shed a few tears in public. My son never saw Ron play but knew all about him from my tales of our Leafs wining the 1967 Stanley Cup.

First and foremost, Ron was a gentleman, but he was also a great hockey player. His short stature gave me hope for me to play hockey as I was growing up.

He played great for our Leafs and was good for Canada in the 1972 Summit series against Russia.

As long as I live, I will give thanks to Ron, and all of his Leaf teammates, for giving me the memories I cherish having witnessed that 1967 Stanley Cup championship as a 12 year old kid.

Ron, you had more desire to win in your pinky finger than any of our greedy current Leafs. You were a proud and lifelong Leaf !!!

Thank you Ron Ellis for all you did for Leafs Nation so long ago. May you rest in peace good sir.

To all of his family, friends, and former teammates, my sincere condolences to one and all.

:leafs

Mar 12, 2009
I've always been proud to be able to say I was related to a Leaf. As cool as it was being able to say you're related to a Leaf who actually won a cup was, his participation in the 72 Summit Series is IMO the most interesting thing he was ever a part of.
I thought it was inspiring he opened up about his mental health issues, at a time where it was still more highly stigmatized.

Would love to here any stories the old timers here might have about him from watching him play.

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
With his passing, I believe there are only 7 players from the Leafs last cup in '67 who are still alive today.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I have read accounts from Teeder Kennedy saying how pleased he was when he was given the number of his hero Charlie Conacher, and I know that Darryl Sittler has talked about his belief that the team had big plans for him because he was given Frank Mahovlich’s #27. But the only Leafs story I’m aware of where a player literally handed his former number to a current player was when Ace Bailey requested that Ron Ellis be given his #6.

Bailey handed his number to Ellis in a ceremony at the Hot Stove Lounge at Maple Leaf Gardens on September 24, 1968. “My family and I wanted to see somebody wear the number while I was still active in hockey,” said Bailey, who was a timekeeper at the Gardens. “Ron is a real hockey player who never gives his club any trouble. I think he’ll be an all-star in years to come.

“This number is two digits lighter than your old number,” Bailey joked to Ellis, who had worn #8 since his junior days, “so you should go a little faster.”

“I’ll wear this sweater with a great deal of pride,” Ellis told him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad