Confirmed with Link: Lindy to Canucks for F Kuzmenko, D Hunter Brzustewicz, D Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st, Cond. 2024 4th

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Andersson comparison is a little odd IMO. I don't think their games when drafted were similar, are they? I view Brewski in the same vein as Poirier criticism wise. If anything, Brewski emulating Poirier is an excellent way to approach his development... Hey, it's that weird buddy system similar ilk development thing again. I'm seriously starting to conclude it's intentional.

If we could develop someone like Ghost or Barrie out of him that's still really good. If we get a flawed 2/3 out of him, that's a home run.

Poirier is far more dynamic and risk oriented. Brzu plays a much more cerebral style and is/was better on the defensive side of the puck.

Morin and Brzu are actually quite similar stylistically.

Reactions: Fig

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
I know people like to point to Lindholm's offensive totals this year, but that wasn't even my concern or issue with him.. He's shooting 6%. That's going to bounce back to his averages, and the goals and points will come.

The issue I had with him was his play at five on five where for years he has excelled, and made those around him better. It was the complete opposite of that this season for whatever reason and he made those around him worse. Now, I think that is mostly due to him no longer being invested in this group or organization, but man, I don't think this team will miss what he was providing this year outside of the PK.

He's still a phenomenal player though and 50 games doesn't change that. If he's motivated (which I am sure he will be) Vancouver got one hell of a player who can contribute in every facet of the game.

I wasn't exactly thrilled when the idea of Kuzmenko and a 1st was being thrown around over the past few weeks, but the addition of Brzustewicz and other additional throw in's makes this deal more than palatable. Brzustewicz was the clear #3 prospect in Vancouver for me, and he's a kid who has the upside to potentially play in a top four role one day.

I think both sides are, and should be happy with the deal.
Sharangovich was having the best year of his career by a country mile and Huberdeau was back to being close to point per game with Lindholm? I don’t agree with the people who think Lindholm was having as terrible a year as they say, his 5v5 numbers are only barely below last year and it’s just a brutal shooting percentage and a non existent powerplay suppressing his numbers, but it’s really not a debatable point to say he was making his linemates worse.

Reactions: Felidae

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Sharangovich was having the best year of his career by a country mile and Huberdeau was back to being close to point per game with Lindholm? I don’t agree with the people who think Lindholm was having as terrible a year as they say, his 5v5 numbers are only barely below last year and it’s just a brutal shooting percentage and a non existent powerplay suppressing his numbers, but it’s really not a debatable point to say he was making his linemates worse.

That's fine if you don't agree, but not a debatable point? Pretty much every regular forward on this roster improved analytically when they were away from Lindholm this season at five on five. Not a single player had a positive xG% rate with him.

Last year / This year
CF % - 56.09% / 47.07%
SF % - 55.51% / 49%
GF% - 53.06% / 46.03%
xG% - 55.52% / 44.70%
SCF% - 54.14% / 45.34%
HDCF% - 53.04% / 45.45%

Additionally - Among forwards on this team he was bottom three in CA/60, SCA/60 and xGA/60. His line was getting outplayed on a nightly basis regardless of who his linemates were.

What value did he provide on the PP? He and Kadri were the only two mainstays on the top unit all year and the results never changed. He was useless there.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I like that the Flames got more from Lindholm than they did for Iginla/Bouwmeester.

I like that the Flames pulled the trigger early on this trade. We're about to learn (the hard way) what Lindholm did bring to the table, even if he wasn't scoring.

I like that Craig Conroy has now "dealt with" 3 4* of the 7 players with expiring contracts that he mentioned at the start of the season.

I hope that Kuzmenko will score goals, pad his stats, and potentially be a trade chip either next month, or in 13 months.

*Backlund

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
That's fine if you don't agree, but not a debatable point? Pretty much every regular forward on this roster improved analytically when they were away from Lindholm this season at five on five. Not a single player had a positive xG% rate with him.

Last year / This year
CF % - 56.09% / 47.07%
SF % - 55.51% / 49%
GF% - 53.06% / 46.03%
xG% - 55.52% / 44.70%
SCF% - 54.14% / 45.34%
HDCF% - 53.04% / 45.45%

Additionally - Among forwards on this team he was bottom three in CA/60, SCA/60 and xGA/60. His line was getting outplayed on a nightly basis regardless of who his linemates were.

What value did he provide on the PP? He and Kadri were the only two mainstays on the top unit all year and the results never changed. He was useless there.
Backlund and Coleman are fancy stat gods and the Kadri line has received sheltered offensive minutes this entire season, seems obvious anyone going from those lines to Lindholm’s fancies would suffer. This also ignores that xG% is a line stat not an individual player stat and all year Lindholm has been saddled with bad 5v5 defenders in Mangiapane, Sharangovich and Huberdeau. Just as nobody thought Backlund’s play was slipping when his fancy stats tumbled playing with Huberdeau, you can’t put the onus on Lindholm for his linemates and usage.

At an individual production rate, every players numbers go up or are at their highest paired with Lindholm. You are using entangled stats to make individual assessments. For example, when Sharangovich was potting all those goals and assists, were you claiming his play was actually dropping because his fancy stats were suffering?

Last edited:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Backlund and Coleman are fancy stat gods and the Kadri line has received sheltered offensive minutes this entire season, seems obvious anyone going from those lines to Lindholm’s fancies would suffer. This also ignores that xG% is a line stat not an individual player stat and all year Lindholm has been saddled with bad 5v5 defenders in Mangiapane, Sharangovich and Huberdeau.

At an individual production rate, every players numbers go up or are at their highest paired with Lindholm.

Lindholm didn't struggle at all analytically with Dube and Toffoli last year whom are second and third liners respectively.. so unless you think Yegor Sharangovich is the biggest possession drain of all time, then I don't think you can excuse the most logical answer here which is that Lindholm simply hasn't played up to his standards this year at any point. To me, that seems obvious to anyone who has watched this team, but I get it, you like the player and feel the need to defend him, which is A-ok in my books. His heart wasn't in it, but that doesn't change what he has done for this team or the player he has proven to be over the past five years.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I think same happened with Horvat. Just repped old team for ASG
I hope I’m not the only one old enough (although 38 is not old and I’ll fight anyone who says it is lol) to remember this happened to Sandis Ozolinsh before All star weekend when it was in Florida. He was playing for the Panthers and was traded to the Ducks. But he didn’t want to play in the All Star game because it was in the city that just traded him. It was ver awkward for him and he didn’t know how the fans would react to him. He ended up playing in the game and was applauded. But it’s a definite kick in the teeth to trade your all star rep before the all star game. I think they had created a trade freeze for all star weekend after that.

Reactions: Fig

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Lindholm didn't struggle at all analytically with Dube and Toffoli last year whom are second and third liners respectively.. so unless you think Yegor Sharangovich is the biggest possession drain of all time, then I don't think you can excuse the most logical answer here which is that Lindholm simply hasn't played up to his standards this year at any point. To me, that seems obvious to anyone who has watched this team, but I get it, you like the player and feel the need to defend him, which is A-ok in my books. His heart wasn't in it, but that doesn't change what he has done for this team or the player he has proven to be over the past five years.
…that’s because Toffoli is also an extremely responsible player and has also been an analytics darling in the past as well? The analytics you were referencing are line stats, so yes when two very responsible players are paired together the results would be better. But yes, Sharangovich is objectively a bad 5v5 defender and has been all 3 seasons of his career so far. For example using your own preferred stats, Kadri’s xG% drops from 52% to 42% when Sharangovich is added to his line. Mostly due in part that his xGA/60 skyrockets from 2.41 to 2.99 when playing with Rango. I’d argue Rango is the best 5v5 defender out of him, Huberdeau, and a Backlund-less Mangiapane as well.

Since you referenced logic, what seems more logical. That Lindholm stopped trying in the year he’s trying to earn the biggest pay cheque in his life, or that maybe his linemates have been effecting his analytics? His linemates still seem to look rejuvenated or are still having career years, and it takes one look over to the Gaudreau, Nylander and Reinharts of the world to see what players do in contract years.

Last edited:

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I hope I’m not the only one old enough (although 38 is not old and I’ll fight anyone who says it is lol) to remember this happened to Sandis Ozolinsh before All star weekend when it was in Florida. He was playing for the Panthers and was traded to the Ducks. But he didn’t want to play in the All Star game because it was in the city that just traded him. It was ver awkward for him and he didn’t know how the fans would react to him. He ended up playing in the game and was applauded. But it’s a definite kick in the teeth to trade your all star rep before the all star game. I think they had created a trade freeze for all star weekend after that.
38 is terrible old timer

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
You should still cheer against them. That 4th only becomes a 3rd because them reaching the West Finals makes the 1st rounder 29-32... where if they are eliminated in round 1 or 2, the pick is no worse than 28th, the difference between a 3rd and a 4th will be less than the difference between 29 and 25.
The scouts are saying the 20-30 has very little diffence this yr, i think the 3rd to 4th might actually be a bigger jump in quality

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Not a big fan of Brzustewicz, questionable hockey IQ, poor transition player, poor foot speed. Maybe he can make it in a Shattenkirk sense, a defensive liability who is useful on the PP but not a player teams win with. I prefer Poirier to him but I'm not a big fan of him either .Vancouver was wise to move him while his value is peaking.
Couldn't be more wrong about Brzustewicz. He's an incredibly smart player and his transitional play is the best part of his game. It's the reason he's picking up so many points as Kitchener.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Marek called Brzustewicz the Fox of the OHL.

Honestly, Vancouver played a huge part in any success Calgary has in the past 5-8 years. Hopefully we get even better results!

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022

Last year / This year
CF % - 56.09% / 47.07%
SF % - 55.51% / 49%
GF% - 53.06% / 46.03%
xG% - 55.52% / 44.70%
SCF% - 54.14% / 45.34%
HDCF% - 53.04% / 45.45%

Numbers like that don't lie. But, I think its more of a guy who is a pending FA who clearly sees the team going in the wrong direction, probably trying to do too much (for this team, for his next contract) and that mental side of the game plays a big part on a player.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Numbers like that don't lie. But, I think its more of a guy who is a pending FA who clearly sees the team going in the wrong direction, probably trying to do too much (for this team, for his next contract) and that mental side of the game plays a big part on a player.

I don't disagree whatsoever. He hasn't been at his best (far from it) but he didn't just lose his ability.

Conroy even alluded to the fact he believed the contract negotiations and uncertainty was weighing heavily on Lindholm. Mentally he seemed checked out even if it wasn't intentional on his part.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see him go on a very good run down the stretch here.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What would you all say to a top 9 that looks like:

Huby-Backs-Kuzy
Pospi-Kadri-Shary
Mangi-Zary-Coleman
Nah.

We're I think we're going to have set pairs in the top 9.

Backlund - Coleman
Zary - Kadri
Huberdeau - Sharangovich

Initially, I think we see Kuzmenko with Huby and Rango. Bread with Backs & Coleman. Then depending on who gets recalled from the Wranglers, either Coronato, Pelletier, or Pospisil with Zary and Kadri.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Lindholm representing the Flames Canucks at the ASG.

sq6ctmvunndrubvjgaua.jpg

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I like that the Flames got more from Lindholm than they did for Iginla/Bouwmeester.

I like that the Flames pulled the trigger early on this trade. We're about to learn (the hard way) what Lindholm did bring to the table, even if he wasn't scoring.

I like that Craig Conroy has now "dealt with" 3 4* of the 7 players with expiring contracts that he mentioned at the start of the season.

I hope that Kuzmenko will score goals, pad his stats, and potentially be a trade chip either next month, or in 13 months.

*Backlund
Best part is by moving Lindholm teams know we will pull the trigger once we get a good offer and they can't low ball us for tanev, Hanifin, Coleman (hopefully)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad