Confirmed with Link: Lindy to Canucks for F Kuzmenko, D Hunter Brzustewicz, D Joni Jurmo, 2024 1st, Cond. 2024 4th

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ah thanks, makes sense. I've been listening to them for a month or two now and didn't know they were already well known. Also, was unaware Rhett was a player lol.
You must be young or newer to hockey. Rhettsky was a Panther the first time they went to the finals.

Fun fact, Warrener played for 3 teams, in his first year with each team, they went on to the Stanley Cup Finals and lost.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Barn Burner is a newish podcast, these 3 previously had the most popular radio show in Calgary before branching out on their own. Also Rhett and Connie were teammates for a few years on the Flames.
Been watching them for a few months now, their concept is good but contents are too long. If they can work on that aspect- great.

Via Julian McKenzie, here’s how the team lined up on Monday:

Huberdeau – Sharangovich – Kuzmenko
Zary – Kadri – Pospisil
Mangiapane – Backlund – Coleman
Rooney/PelletierSchwindt – Duehr

Weegar – Andersson
Hanifin – Tanev
Kylington – Pachal
Gilbert – Oesterle

Expected that Kuzmenko insertion to the top line so 2nd and 3rd can stay in tact.

Last edited:

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
The more I think about it, the best case scenario could be pairing Kuzmenko with the Zary-Kadri duo, while breaking up the Backlund-Coleman pairing as sacrilegious as that seems.

Huberdeau-Rango-Coleman
Zary-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Pelletier-Backlund-Mangiapane

Kuzmenko gets two speedy transition players to cover his flaws and he gives them an Uber talented offensive piece to play with. That line continues to get extremely friendly offensive minutes to help boost Kuzmenko’s production and/or value. Huberdeau gets the closest iteration to his successful Florida line with Rango being the speedy shooter (Duclair) and Coleman being the crash and bang chaotic player (Bennett but smart), while Coleman gets rewarded with an offensive deployment for the season he’s having (while also being the lines defensive conscious). Pelletier and Backlund just seem like a match made in heaven, and while that lines effectiveness goes down losing the Backlund-Coleman duo it could be a net positive in the lineup.

As an aside, can we all agree not to give Kuzmenko the Toffoli treatment? His name was dragged through the mud after the trade saying what a waste of a 1st he was, before “shockingly” once he adapted to his new home and had a camp under his belt and a stable role, he exploded. Very likely Kuzmenko doesn’t come out of the gates hot as well adjusting to a new team/role. I am excited for what he could do for our powerplay though once some chemistry forms.
And Pospi??

This line would get eaten alive even by the no talent 2012/13 Flames. Huska really is our Jeff Blashill
It's an experiment and min detriment to our team line wise, shelter their mins and see what happens.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is an experiment and min detriment to our team line wise, shelter their mins and see what happens.
Sheltering minutes is not as easy as people seem to think because on the road teams will match lines with the most dangerous lines. So on the road, Huby and Rango are going to draw better defenders regardless of how we deploy them. The only thing going for us in terms of sheltering them, is the fact that we essentially have 3 second lines, so one of the Huby, Backs or Kadri lines will face lighter competition.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Sheltering minutes is not as easy as people seem to think because on the road teams will match lines with the most dangerous lines. So on the road, Huby and Rango are going to draw better defenders regardless of how we deploy them. The only thing going for us in terms of sheltering them, is the fact that we essentially have 3 second lines, so one of the Huby, Backs or Kadri lines will face lighter competition.
And it's happening tonight- Huby- Sharky- Kuzie

Let's see and Let's go

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
And it's happening tonight- Huby- Sharky- Kuzie

Let's see and Let's go
I know, I'm just saying they might not get the 3rd pairing and tougher forward matchups as often on the road. Huska can give them offensive starts, but that's really all he can do to shelter them. Personally if I am the opposition coach, the team I let face weaker competition is the line with Zary and Pospisil as the other lines have guys that have been more consistent threats and are less prone to "rookie mistakes"

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Brzustewicz has 9 pts in his last 5, 80 pts in 57 GP. That is mental... So he is unsigned, how does it work for him to put a pen to a paper? Obviously it has to come from Conroy but how does this process work? I would like him to be tried with our big boys this calendar year- either before the end of season if we are mathematically out of PO or in preseason. Let's see if he could cut it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Brzustewicz has 9 pts in his last 5, 80 pts in 57 GP. That is mental... So he is unsigned, how does it work for him to put a pen to a paper? Obviously it has to come from Conroy but how does this process work? I would like him to be tried with our big boys this calendar year- either before the end of season if we are mathematically out of PO or in preseason. Let's see if he could cut it.
Signing a contract is easy, they can do it any time. But as a CHL player he cannot be called up until is teams season is done. His team is currently 5th best in the OHL and have already clinched a playoff spot. They're in the stronger conference and it looks like they'll be the #4 seed, they should be able to win their first round series, but teh 2nd round will be tough.

The OHL regular season ends March 23, playoffs are best-of-7, so I would guess 2nd week of April is the soonest he'd be available. So in theory if he's out April 7, he could join the Flames for their last half dozen games and honestly that would be a good stretch to give him some time as we play San Jose twice, and the Ducks and Coyotes once each. By the time we play the Canucks their seeding may already be determined and they could be resting guys.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Signing a contract is easy, they can do it any time. But as a CHL player he cannot be called up until is teams season is done. His team is currently 5th best in the OHL and have already clinched a playoff spot. They're in the stronger conference and it looks like they'll be the #4 seed, they should be able to win their first round series, but teh 2nd round will be tough.

The OHL regular season ends March 23, playoffs are best-of-7, so I would guess 2nd week of April is the soonest he'd be available. So in theory if he's out April 7, he could join the Flames for their last half dozen games and honestly that would be a good stretch to give him some time as we play San Jose twice, and the Ducks and Coyotes once each. By the time we play the Canucks their seeding may already be determined and they could be resting guys.
Thanks man- this is clearer now. So if his season ends in April and in order for him being available to play for us in those 6 games- will he need to be signed with an entry contract? And if so, I think such lasts for 3 years... If he plays, will he effectively burn the first year out of 3?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Thanks man- this is clearer now. So if his season ends in April and in order for him being available to play for us in those 6 games- will he need to be signed with an entry contract? And if so, I think such lasts for 3 years... If he plays, will he effectively burn the first year out of 3?
Yes, 3 year ELC, but with being under 20 and in the CHL I believe his contract would slide unless he plays more than 9 games. With college players it only burns a year off because they are 20 or older.

But it might be better to assign him to the Wranglers to get a longer playoff run under his belt (hopefully)

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Yes, 3 year ELC, but with being under 20 and in the CHL I believe his contract would slide unless he plays more than 9 games. With college players it only burns a year off because they are 20 or older.

But it might be better to assign him to the Wranglers to get a longer playoff run under his belt (hopefully)
Wicked, thanks Lunatik. Understood! I want to see him in our colours this season but since he is playing on a strong team as per your say- perhaps a wishful thinking!

User1996

Jun 24, 2020

Despite the points, Brzustewicz would be 3rd or 4th on my list to get games at the end of the year.

Give Kuznetsov and Solovyov an extended look and let Hunter get some AHL games. I don’t know what Poirier’s status will be but he would be above all of them if healthy too.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011

Despite the points, Brzustewicz would be 3rd or 4th on my list to get games at the end of the year.

Give Kuznetsov and Solovyov an extended look and let Hunter get some AHL games. I don’t know what Poirier’s status will be but he would be above all of them if healthy too.
Why not Brzu with a rotating stay at home D partner like Solo or Kuzie. You got a highly valued asset from your A deal, are you not interested to see what he can do?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

1. Non-Emergency recalls are limited post-deadline. I believe it's 3, might be 4
2. The Flames are more likely to use their Non-Emergency recalls to paper guys like Pelletier and Zary to tie Wranglers at the deadline so they're playoff eligible.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Why not Brzu with a rotating stay at home D partner like Solo or Kuzie. You got a highly valued asset from your A deal, are you not interested to see what he can do?
Because the other 3 are much closer to being NHL regulars and have already cut their teeth in the AHL. I just don’t see the situation where 6 games in the NHL helps him more than games in the AHL right now.

In my opinion, I don’t think this is a situation where he’s a can’t miss prospect that needs to make the jump right away.

That said, if Poirier is done for the year I could see Brzu getting games in - depending on the returns at the deadline.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
1. Non-Emergency recalls are limited post-deadline. I believe it's 3, might be 4
2. The Flames are more likely to use their Non-Emergency recalls to paper guys like Pelletier and Zary to tie Wranglers at the deadline so they're playoff eligible.
Would one not be allowed on the basis of trading 2/7 NHL defenceman?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Lindholm hasn't been doing all that hot since the trade.

I've watched one or two of their games and didn't notice him, but the counting and fancy stats still look pretty bad. Might be more than just a one-off. Next year will be crucial, but it seems he's shot himself in the foot for a massive extension.

Just as I post this too lol

• Haha
Reactions: crackdown44

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Generational bag fumble by Lindholm turning down that deal this summer tbh

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Yep, but somehow I think playing with the B's might just turn that around.
It might. He could honestly just fill the role Bergeron left - be the defensively responsible goal scoring centre while your wingers do the heavy lifting with the puck and transitional play.

I can’t see any better place for him to recoup his value. If it doesn’t work in boston he’s toast lol.

Generational bag fumble by Lindholm turning down that deal this summer tbh
Shows how fickle things are. If Connie gets that deal inked he looks like a brad tre 2.0 redux. Instead he’s a genius who sold high and brought this team in the right direction.

Reactions: Fig

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Shows how fickle things are. If Connie gets that deal inked he looks like a brad tre 2.0 redux. Instead he’s a genius who sold high and brought this team in the right direction.

My take is Conroy wanted to re-sign Lindy because he either wants or has been told (by ownership/Maloney via proxy) to be competitive and make playoffs. At the time the contract being offered was a slight overpay (if the rumored deals were right), but nothing too outlandish. In hindsight, yeah that contract would have been awful.

Conroy however isn't a complete moron like ownership/past GM's and saw the on ice product and knows this team needs a re-build, even if he isn't allowed to say it everything he is doing is pointing to one. He can only do so much with Huberdeau and Kadri, but he has sold everything off otherwise (or at least tried with Markstrom).

I think Connie see's that last year wasn't a fluke and the team indeed does suck (more so the absence of game breaking talent) and is moving to get younger and build the team through the draft opposed to trading all our picks for nobodies year after year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad